Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodation in Ireland Questions, Please Help

Nov 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

We will be traveling around Ireland in October 2011. We will be staying in the following areas:

Galway
Ballybunion
Dingle
Killarney
Glenbeigh
Kenmare
Kinsale
Cork
Dublin

We are looking for clean and comfortable rooms near attractions/sights and with great breakfast. It doesn't have to be fancy. Low to middle price range would be great. An occasional spurge for a quaint or historic place would be nice too. Any suggestions?

Is it necessary to make reservations in advance for that time of year? Our itinerary is a bit fluid so it would be great if we could make reservations only a few days in advance. Is that possible? Or do our criteria require advance reservations?

Thanks!
Nov 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM

If you are looking for nice accomodations in a low- to mid-price range for Dublin, you might consider staying in either Malahide or Howth. Both are pleasant seaside towns which are on the DART line to Dublin. We enjoyed our stay at a B&B in Malahide because we had easy access to Dublin via DART and easy access for daytrips by car to Bru na Boinne, Trim Castle and even Glendalough. Both towns are close to the airport making it easy upon arrival or for departures.
Nov 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM

You don't specify the actual numerical size of the travelling we but if you are just a couple, advance booking would not really be required at the time of year you will be touring about.

Some of the B&B's in places like Ballybunion may have closed for the season by then but there will be ample places still open for business, willing to take guests without pre booking.

Part of the enjoyment of your trip should be the freedom to stay or move on from a town as the spirit takes you. Your overall itinerary is not over-ambitious in terms of mileage but I would wonder about the attraction of Glenbeigh and Ballybunion in October, unless you have golf in mind.

Exploring the area of West Cork, just south of Kenmare, might be a better option; Glengariff is a nice spot with the island gardens to visit (Garinish Island) and there are a number of attractive villages like Castletownsend, Glandore, Schull and Baltimore to be visited.
Nov 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM

I'd suggest doing a Google search of Ireland's bed and breakfasts. I did a quick search and immediately found these sights:
http://bedandbreakfastireland.net/
http://www.ireland-bnb.com/
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/ireland.html

It will give you an idea of prices and what's available in the towns you'll be staying. I did a B&B tour of England several years ago and had a pretty good time. Good luck.
Nov 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. There are 2 of us. Ballybunion and Glenbeigh are definitely for golf. We should be in Ireland/Scotland combined for about a month. Glad to hear we can book as we go for exactly the reason you mentioned. I have picked out several B&B's for budget purposes. The seem to run about 50 euro pp per night. Is that low or average? Thanks.
Nov 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Let me re-phrase that. I guess since I did find a number of choices for 40-50 euro pp, that defines average. Does anyone have any recommendations for places that are clean, comfortable, simple and with a good breakfast for less than that? Your suggestions are appreciated.
Nov 29th, 2010, 03:24 AM

For Kenmare I highly recommend the Watersedge B&B. You should be able to get a double for around €35/person.
Nov 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Here are my recommendations of places we have stayed at and just loved!
1. Galway - Marless House in Salthill (just 5 mintues from downtown Galway). Mary, the owner, will treat you will a member of the family. Rooms are a very good size, clean, and well furnished. Breakfast is great and plentiful. Rates are very reasonable and the location is very convenient.

2. Dingle - you MUST stay at Pax House! Our visit there this past October was one of the highlights of the trip. John and his staff are just wonderful, the rooms spacious, the breakfast fabulous and the view from the dining room is to die for! We stayed 2 nights and would have loved to stay longer. I posted pictures on Tripadvisor if you want a look. Pax House is about 1 klm from "downtown" Dingle but you could walk it if you felt like a "stroll". Rio the dog will be your greeter and you will fall in love with her at first site. Prices are reasonable. You will NOT be sorry if you stay here.

3. Killarney - Earls Court- We have stayed at this small hotel in September 09' and October 10'. We were so surprised to see that we had been given the same balcony room this year as we had in 09' even though I had not booked a balcony room this time. Emer is a very friendly and helpful hostess. You will love having a computer and internet service free of charge waiting in the lounge for guests' use. Earl's Court is only a 4-5 minute drive from the heart of Killarney but away from the downtown noise. Prices, rooms, location, and breakfast are all great. I have even gotten Emer's recipe for portage and her wonderful sweet bread, both available on the breakfast buffet. Enjoy your trip, I can't wait for another visit to beautiful Ireland
Dec 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. These look nice.