Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 or 5 days in Ireland - where would you stay?

Oct 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

We (My husband and I, and our baby) may be going to Ireland in early November for just 4 or 5 days. We need to be located somewhat close to Dublin because my husband needs to be there one evening, but I don't want to stay in Dublin. I would like to be in an area with a lot of natural beauty where we could do a lot of walking/hiking, and i'm thinking of renting a house (might be easier with a baby) but a nice hotel would work, too.

Can you tell me where you would want to stay for 4 or 5 days under these circumstances?

Thank you very much!!
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM

In Wicklow, perhaps in the mountains. Lots of natural beauty and walking or hiking opportunities.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:35 AM
tod

Hello Katherine4 - I think your idea is brilliant. If you could get a rental not more than 30-40 km away from Dublin it could work very well.

November of course will probably have rubbish weather so being able to move around freely in a house will be ideal.

I would guess the area around the Wicklow Mountains might do.
From the south Dublin suburbs, an old military road snakes up into the wild landscape of the Wicklow Mountains. Few major cities are blessed with an outdoor paradise at their back doorstep, teeming with dark forests, tranquil lakes, vales with vast stretches of windswept moors and magnificent waterfalls.

County Wicklow is called 'The Garden of Ireland', a fitting label when driving through the idyllic vales of Clara & Avoca.
Whilst there are scenic spots galore including some glorious gardens, this county also possesses a savage beauty such as the barren and beautiful Wicklow Gap.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM

The Wicklow Mountains certainly meet your criteria in terms of natural beauty. And they're close to Dublin.

I have no advice to give you on a place to stay as I've only been there on a day trip.

When my daughter got married in County Meath in June, the wedding party stayed here:

http://www.balrathcourtyard.com/

While not as scenic an area as Wicklow, there's certainly plenty to see. It's near Newgrange, the Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, etc. And, with a baby, staying at a place like this, with a kitchen, might be more convenient. It's not far from Dublin.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Some excellent ideas! Thank you so much! Tod, thank you for the detailed description. It sounds heavenly.

Another question if you wouldn't mind: Is there a daytime flight from New York to Ireland? I just did an expedia search for JFK to Dublin and all flights listed were night flights. I hate the idea of a nightflight. It'll be stressful enough travelling with an 11 month old; I'd rather not add exhaustion to the mix. If there are no daytime flights to Dublin, is there another airport in Ireland that i should consider?

Thank you, again, very much for all the information!
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
tod

Katherine I think you should go onto the Aerlingus website.
They fly all over the world.
We were in the UK at the time so flew Aerlingus from Manchester to Dublin, spent 2 weeks travelling right around Ireland then took an Aerlingus flight to Paris.
The opposition carrier is Ryan Air so check them out as well.

If there are no daylight flights directly to Ireland you may consider seeing if there is one to the UK and hop across to Ireland that way. I don't particularly like flying at night either but since I only fly if I can get an upgrade to Business Class with FF miles, I don't mind it all now.
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
tod

Sorry - forgot to tell you that the other very large airports in Ireland are Belfast and Shannon Airport.
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM

Most (if not all) flights to Ireland from the US are night flights. This is in order to allow an early morning arrival as Ireland is 5-6 hours ahead of the east coast of the US. Flights the other way are always day flights, also because of the time differences.
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM

It used to be that people preferred flying nights in order to arrive in the morning and avoid paying for a hotel. But more and more people seem to be coming around to the idea of arriving in the evening, getting a good night's sleep and starting fresh the next day rather than arriving exhausted and jet lagged! But perhaps Aer Lingus hasn't caught on to that yet. (Though my daughter's in-laws arrived at O'Hare this past Monday on a later flight than we were able to take this past June, so maybe things are changing.)

At any rate, IMO, if you can't get a day flight, with the limited amount of time you have, you're probably better off dealing with the night flight rather than flying in somewhere else and having to get to Dublin. After all, you're going to the Dublin area and there is an airport there. Why waste a lot of time getting back there from somewhere else? And Aer Lingus flights to Shannon are going to operate on the same sort of schedule as flights to Dublin.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Ryanair flies transatantic.
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM

"transatantic."??????????????

Okay, I am officially losing it! Obviously, that was supposed to be transatlantic!
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
tod

Oh CAPH52!!

Katherine dear - I'm a grandmother now but in the '80's we took an 18hour flight to Israel. I had never flown overseas before so had no idea what 18hrs really meant! Back in those days we flew around the bulge of Africa from the southern tip, refeuled in Lisbon (friendly to South Africa) and then straight on over the entire Med to Israel.
This flight was in coach, involved night and day flying, and my baby boy of 11mths was a real star. Not a murmur or a tantrum. Just slept, had his bottle, and slept somemore.
In those days they would allow you to put the baby on the floor.

Take heart dearie, you can do it! Should I be so brave as to suggest you give the little one a painkiller eardrop and some 'drowsy' medicine? Won't harm for that one little flight and would make your lives so much happier.
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:41 AM

HI Katherin4

As a native Dub ,I'd probably recommend either South county Dublin or Wicklow (Wexford is also beautiful with gorgeous beaches but a little bit further and hey..it'll be November!)

Glendalough is just magical as is Avoca ( both a little more than an hour's drive)or you could stay nearer the coast
in wicklow itslef , or near Rathdrum..In fact with the new
motorway from Dublin you can easily be in the foothills of Wicklow (Kilmanogue , Eniskerry etc) within half an hours drive from the Southside of Dublin.
Also given you have a young baby this area is also excellent as there are a lot of beautiful walks on easy terrain. (i'll come back to you with a few suggestions on walking routes)

You should easily find self catering accomodation but given that the weather will be cold and possibly wet (hope I haven't put you off yet!)you might want to consider a hotel with swimming or other facilities or even one with self catereing apartments or the like ..again I'm a bit blank right now but I'll come back with some hotel/catering ideas..(offhand my first redcommendation would be www.Brooklodge.com ...it's really excellent and in a beautiful location)

Let me know if you've any more requests for the trip and I'll come back to you.. Meantime ww.discoverireland.ie should be useful. Also try http://www.independent.ie/travel/tra...s-1333321.html
and finally http://www.wicklowtourism.net/walk/b...klow_walks.htm
Good Luck!
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
tod

You cant' get better advice than from someone who is actually there Katherine4! Risotto, you are going to be invauable-
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
tod

Yes, really INVALUABLE!
Oct 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM

check out The Old Milking Parlour in Co. Wicklow. http://www.ballymurrin.ie/

They've done a wonderful job converting it into a lovely place to stay. We enjoyed staying in County Wicklow -- but to be honest ... it was not a "favorite" place.

It's very nice -- but to my taste couldn't compare with the natural beauty of the Dingle Peninsula; the Antrim Coast (in N. Ireland); Killarney National Park; and the Gap of Dunloe.

But if you do stay in that area you have access to Glendalough; Powerscourt Gardens; Newgrange; and Avoca. Those were the highlights for us.