Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodations in Harrogate, Leeds or York?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on visiting Harrogate in mid April, 2012, for 10 days. Interested in your recommendation regarding B&Bs, perhaps renting a cottage or a small studio? Somewhere between $80 and $110 a night would be acceptable. Most people in our group will be hosted by the charming Brits but we'd rather have our privacy.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Harrogate is a nice place to stay and has a good selection of B&B's and has much more of the feel of a Yorkshire market towm:

http://www.harrogatebedandbreakfast.com/

Leeds is a city and unless you want to shop a lot, doesn't have that that much to make me want to stay there. (Yes, the Armouries etc.--but it's not anything special. York is IMHO overrated and apart from a nice Minster and a few narrow streets is a tourist trap.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM

We quite liked Harrogate during our stay in December. We stayed at the Hotel du Vin. Loved it and can recommend it, but it is likely a bit outside the price range you mention. Friends stayed at the Harrogate Brasserie and had positive things to say - might be in your price range.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes to harrogate, no nothing like a market town, but a tad twee, if you want to be on the train system then its pretty good and you have all the facilities of a large town for 10 days, Leeds is a city and a little "sharper" while York is more an urban sprawl with a medieval (read tourist centre) heart.

Tourist info in harrogate have good lists, check the website
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Very grateful for the above replies. It appears we'll end up in a B&B in Harrogate. Thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a hint -- $80-$100 (50-£60+) is a bit low for a nice B&B. Count on paying £30+ to £45 per person per night for a nice but not overly posh B&B in Harrogate.

But if you find one you like that is over your budget -contact them because they might give a discount for the longer stay.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM

I lived in Harrogate until recently - most definitely not a market town!
I agree with you - for 10 days I'd be looking at a cottage or similar. Will you have a car?
If you do decide on a B&B I can recommend Lamont House.
www.lamont-house.co.uk
It's slightly away from the main drag but within easy reach of the shops, Turkish Baths, Valley Gardens, restaurants etc. It's easily within your price range but of course you'd have to dine out each evening whereas in a cottage you could do some cooking yourself (there's a Waitrose, Marks and Sparks, Tesco Express etc in the town centre. Marks in particular does a superb range of ready meals, prepared veg and the like).
Plenty of good places to eat in town too (happy to give recommendations if this would help).
For Hotels, the Studley is good too and the internet rates quoted wouldn't blow your budget either. Again this is a good location, plus there is an excellent restaurant (called Orchid) attached to the Hotel.
www.studleyhotel.co.uk
Harrogate is a Conference town so has many apartments etc. Do book early as if there is a major conference coinciding with your visit you could find things book up well in advance.
Apartments in the town are probably quite pricey - Harrogate is upmarket and there's plenty of money around!
www.nightspace.co.uk/index.htm
A car would give you access to some of the surrounding villages where prices for cottage rentals will be pretty good compared to some of the town centre apartments!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Morgana, precisely the type of information I was looking for. Studley Hotel is already booked for our dates!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:11 PM

Just ask if you think I can help further. Trouble is, because I lived in Harrogate for 20 years I didn't stay in the Hotels! However, I can obviously assist when it comes to practical details etc. I still live in North Yorkshire and know the whole area very well.
However, one place I did think about is the Boars's Head, Ripley. Ripley is a 'mock Norman' village situated just outside Harrogate, with a 15th century castle, gardens etc you can visit. It's on a VERY regular bus route from Harrogate to Ripon (takes about 10 mins and the bus stops at the Market Cross practically outside the Hotel) or it's a quick and easy drive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley,_North_Yorkshire
However, it would give you a feel of staying in a pretty village, and the surrounding countryside (Nidderdale) is attractive. In fact there are lovely walks from the village itself. We've eaten at the Boar's Head numerous times (food good) but have never stayed there.
www.boarsheadripley.co.uk
Here are the bus details -
http://www.harrogatebus.co.uk/index.jsp