accommodation in Munich, Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for an apartment or bandb or hotel (can be 1 room for 4 people)in Munich for December 20-24 and 29 for under $200 a night. Any leads would be most appreciated!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
ira

HI 1,

We very much like www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I have used the Astoria in the Schwabing area for years because it is a good value with an excellent front desk staff.

Room 301 is large enough for 4 people with two supplemental beds. Whether or not the hotel will make that arrangement I do not know.

You can email them and ask. The front desk staff, all 4 of them, speak good English. [email protected]

Frau Hildebrandt and Frau Quade are on the front desk this week. Either one can help you. Given the weakness of the dollar, you will have trouble finding a room for 4 under $200. That is only about €145, which is not much in European cities.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM

If the 4 people are two adults and two kids the Uhland might just be the perfect place. They have family rooms with bunkbeds. Shoot them an email and see if they have anything available. It is a nice place at a budget price across from the Oktober Fest grounds and about a 10 minute walk to the train station. There is also a U-Bahn station about a block away.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I think we will have to pay more like $250-300. Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM

The bus is also about a block away (from the Uhland). Also try the Hotel Amba (right across from the train station). I know they have triples, not sure about a quad. www.hotel-amba.de.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM

We stay at a small 3 star hotel in the upscale neihborhood of Lehel. Hotel Domus is discreet, well located with a nice breakfast buffet. Close to the U4/U5, Sankt Anna Kirche (concerts), local bakeries, the Englischer Garten, the fine Bavarian Museum and its smaller cousin behind it, a delightful archaeological/anthropological museum http://www.archaeologie-bayern.de/_en/index.html with its artifacts starting at 120,0000 years ago. Also walkable to many other museums such as the Deutsche Museum, Alte Pinotek and sights and easily walkable to Maxmillian Strasse.

http://www.europeby.com/hotel-domus/

Also several very good and reasonable restaurants nearby.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM

We stayed at this hotel in Lehel twice. Put in your dates and check out the prices. It's a couple blocks from the underground.

http://www.hotel-rates.com/germany/m...-im-lehel.html
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM

We really liked the Platzl, just 1 block off the Marienplatz. Great location and good breakfasts.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Fletch:

Try the very comfortable three-star Kraft in midtown, just a short walk to Marienplatz, English Garten, etc. We stayed there several years ago and my granddaughter stayed there two years ago and it worked out very well.(Rates below..for December you just might get it for under $200 for 4...but it may be closed for Christmas according to their website)

http://www.hotel-kraft.com/muenchen-hotel-preise.html (with a very sumptuous
breakfast buffet)

Stu T.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Both Domas and Kraft are closed for Christmas. Uhland got some bad reviews, and I am afraid it might be cold in December. Platzl looks beautiful but may be too expensive. Waiting to hear from others. Suitehotel might be a possibility but I am unsure of location.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM
ira

Hi 16,

>Uhland got some bad reviews, and I am afraid it might be cold in December.

Where are the reviews? Did the heat go out?

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira. The reviews were on Trip Advisor. One said there wasn't any heat at all and another said there was only a small radiator and the room had high ceilings so it was cold. What do you think? And can you tell me if the location is good?
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
DAX

I would strongly recommend staying closer to Marienplatz in the cold winter month. We've been in Munich in the cold December month 3 times. The immediate surrounding of the hotel makes a difference. I tend to stay away from hotels (like Uhland) near in the train station or Theresienwiese area because it's not the best looking part of Munich.

Take a look at Hotel AM MARKT (around 100 euro) which has a very central location close to the Viktualienmarkt & Marienplatz. I also like the location of the pricier hotel Platzl but if you can afford Platzl,then you may consider the Maximillian Apartments & Hotel as you get a living room, kitchen etc for the same price range with equally great location. The absolute best location is between Marienplatz & Maximillianstrasse.

The best way to select your hotel is to use the www.hrs.com and sort the hotels by distance from Munich Rathaus(Marienplatz)on the top toolbar. It gives you pictures, numeric rating and map location. No commission charge and cancellable.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
DAX

I just read your posts that you use tripadvisor to evaluate hotels. Am Markt has bad tripadvisor reviews as they room quality is varied but it is a basic hotel with a very central location. The room they showed me was clean & renovated but I didn't stay there.

Perhaps you should consider Maximillian Apartments (see picture in hrs.com) or Hotel Platzl as has been recommended.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM
ira

Hi 16,

I haven't been to the Uhland in Dec, so I can't comment on the heat.

I did look at the Tripadvisor reviews. It's no. 5 of 349 hotels. It has a rating of 4.5 based on 110 posts.

There are very few poor ratings.

You can walk to the central train station in under 15 min, and to the Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt in about 20.

If you prefer buses and the Ubahn, see http://tinyurl.com/aseb5

We enjoyed our stay there and didn't find it too out of the way.

You might also want to look up the Uhland in the "search this forum" box.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

DAX and Ira-This is fantastic information. I will definitely check out your rec. In terms of location, my daughter will probably be living in student housing in Olympic village so it would great if it weren't too far from there, either. When I decide on something, I will post it. So far, nothing definite. Thanks again.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Here's a second vote for the Apartment Hotel Maximilian. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which had tons of room for three of us. They also have 2 bedroom ones. It is a five minute walk from Marienplatz (bliss at Christmas) and is near the Isator train station, which connects directly to the airport. Also very close to grocery stores. We were there for Christmas last year, and it really can't be beat.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:07 AM
DAX

The Olympic village is for to the north away from oldtown. Use hrs.com to sort the hotels by distance from the olympic stadium. I personally would recommend staying in Schwabing which is a student area so that there's more of community crossroads/life as it is probably not as fun to stay in non descript residential area. The Renaissance is a bargain as they often offer a humongous executive suite (apartment size) for around 100 euro including buffet breakfast. There is an airport bus stop just across the street from the Renaissance (25 minute ride to the airport) makes it practical, but I don't know how to get to the Olympic village from the hotel except by taxi. A block away is the Marriott. Holiday Inn has a much better location being in the main boulevard in Schwabing so you have direct acces to the commerce in Schwabing. Lots of less expensive cafes,restaurants in the more bohemian Schwabing.

That said I would still check Maximilian apts if you want to maximize the enjoyment of your stay in Munich. You can use the U bahn under the Marienplatz to commute to the Olympic village. I can recommend several good places to eat inside Munich oldtown if you need it.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM

You might want to check out Hotel Schlicker, very near Viktualienmarkt and the Rathaus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -