Abruzzo?

May 20th, 2001, 02:11 PM
florence

Abruzzo?

Has anyone been to Abruzzo? From what I read it is the "traditional old Italy". Time is not a concern, and we will have a rental car.

May 20th, 2001, 08:27 PM

to the top

May 21st, 2001, 08:15 PM
once again

anyone?

May 21st, 2001, 09:07 PM
gb

I haven't been to Abruzzo, but it certainly does intrigue me. Last year, I visited rural Campania, and found it quiet, rural like, and interesting. It 's hard to look at the small places when you are near such great cities as Rome. I think it is worth exploring.

May 22nd, 2001, 06:54 AM
Paulo

I've toured the Abruzzo shortly, Florence, but I haven't spent a night there. What specifically do you want to know?

Paulo

May 22nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
LJ

Your singing my favourite song! The Abruzzo is amazing and we leave for our 5th trip to this area next week ( I am so excited.) Our best bet for a starting point is Lanciano, a medieval(sp?) town in the province of Chieti, located within sighting distance of both the ocean (Adriatic, of course )and the Gran Sasso Mountains. We will hike, bird watch, lounge on the beach, check out the quaint stores or visit (day trip) towns like Scanno, Sulmona, L'Aquila and Pescara from there. Yes, it is old world Italy, the driving is less hectic, the restaurants less sophisticated, tourists less the norm especially back in the hill towns. We love it and keep returning for those reasons but it is not everybody's cup of tea. For example, it is possible that the museum, restaurant or gallery you saw listed in Fodors is NOT open when it said it might be 'just because' and the level of luxury in the average hotel is not that of Rome, Florence or even Umbria. But the views are amazing and life goes on pretty much as it always has in most of these villages. Do give it a try and post on your return!

May 22nd, 2001, 04:45 PM
peter

visitthe town of ortona di marsi its old and beautiful. people from roma go there alll the time because of its beauty. there is a great rest. there also

Apr 16th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I live in Le Marche, which is the region above Abruzzo, and I consider it to be somewhat of this "Old Italy" feel, and I've heard that Abruzzo is more so. I have really enjoyed visiting some cities near Abruzzo (Ascoli Piceno, especially). I plan to visit Sulmona in the future.
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:31 AM

My husband's relatives live in Villa Scontrone near Castel di Sangro in Abruzzo. Two years ago we drove from Rome to visit them. We went through beautiful rolling hills and quiet towns. There is a state park along the route we took. Can't suggest any restaurants as it would have been a sin to eat at one and not at the relative's homes. We encountered very few people who spoke English in this area. Don't know what you mean by traditional old Italy, but the relative's homes had every modern convenience and then some.
Apr 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM

We have driven through Abruzzo several times and have stopped for lunch at "Vecchi Silvi" in Silvi Alto. Great view of the Adriatic coastline and the restaurant is excellent with very friendly service. Silvi Alto is an old town perched high on a hill. The new town of Silvi is a resort down on the beach. Very pretty area.