About to hit my 50's

Aug 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

About to hit my 50's

Hi

I fancy a 2 week trip alone when I hit the big '50' I'm married with 4 children, but would love to go off on my own little adventure. Currently living in Ireland and don't want to go too far.

Any suggestions?

Tootsie50
Aug 27th, 2013, 03:39 PM

Hi Tootsie!
Just a few ideas:
--Paris, Strasbourg, Cote D'Azur.
--London and Paris, and may be one or two day trios.
--Venice, Firenze, Siena, Rome, Amalfi Coast, your choice of destinations and time at each place.
--Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Valencia, Segovia, Granada, Sevilla, you select destinations and how many days!

Enjoy your 50's as much as we are enjoying our 60's. (Wife and me).
Aug 27th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jelopez33!

What are trios?
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Tootsie:

I mean day trips!!!!
Sorry!
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I realised later!

Italy sounds inviting and I've wanted to see Tuscany for years now...
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Tootsie:

All Italy is really great, you will enjoymformsure if you go.

We were at Venice and Firenza many years ago, and we did visit Rome for the second time and Amalfi coast first time a few years ago, there is a report of this trip, in case you are interested.
Aug 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM

Italy is fabulous. You could easily fill two weeks. Venice, Tuscany and Rome would make a great intro to Italy. You don't need to rent a car to do these, as the public transportation in Italy is great. Fly into one city and fly home from another. Grab a guidebook and start reading. I'm jealous that you can be in Italy in a matter of hours...far easier than getting there from Southern California where I live.

Congratulations on your upcoming B-day. I just joined the '50' club in April. Our kids are all grown and on their own. We're excited about the next chapter in our lives: opening a wine tasting room in conjunction with our vineyard.

Happy planning!
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:33 PM

Happy Birthday, Tootsie! I loved turning 50 -- somehow I felt very liberated from that age on, that life is too short to play silly head games. From that point on, decisions seemed clearer and easier, kids were on their own, and life was good.

Italy, particularly Tuscany, is great! Come one down!
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM

Re:

It's just a hop and a skip using Ryanair to Pisa, for example. It has the most "close-in" airport I've ever used, with both train and bus access to other cities/towns i.e. Florence, Siena, Lucca, 5-Terre, etc, and just a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the Duomo and its Field of Miracles. I feel very safe in this area.
Aug 28th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm trembling with excitement! I turn 50 in December and really don't want the expense of a big party with relatives coming from here there and everywhere just for a few hours. I'd rather travel and have a wonderful experience on my own.

Now to tell the Hubby...wish me luck
Aug 28th, 2013, 03:28 AM

How adventurous is a " little adventure"??

Walk the Camino de Santiago for two weeks. Ideal for solo travel.

www.caminodesantiago.me/

http://www.stjamesirl.com/
Aug 28th, 2013, 05:03 AM

I am a bit past 50, but for a recent birthday, my husband gave me several weeks in Italy. The first week, I was on my own and explored some of the Abruzzo region of Italy (without a car, because I don't drive stick). Then my husband joined me and we explored more of Abruzzo and the Amalfi coast. It was great having the time alone and then sharing Italy with my husband.

Our first trip to Italy some years ago included Tuscany. Sounds like that region is calling you, so I hope you can work it out and go. So much to see, do and enjoy there.
Aug 28th, 2013, 06:47 AM
ira

>Currently living in Ireland and don't want to go too far.<

I think that that is a good idea.

If you feel that you would like to go too far while celebrating your 50th, I suggest going to a place where you are not likely to meet anyone you know.

Enjoy your adventure.

Aug 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Paris is always a good choice for getting away and relaxing . .
Aug 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM

I'd cut back on costs by using the train in Italy (well I'd do more by taking my bicycle) but you don't need a car to enjoy the best of Italy. From Dublin you can fly into Pisa and out of Venice I think and use the train to toddle along between Pisa, Lucca, Florence, Verona, Bologna, Ferrara, Padua and Venice