? about layover in DC-IAD

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:37 AM
s.fowler

? about layover in DC-IAD

I'm going to Paris [wooooooo hooooooo!!!] I'm looking at a great fare on Orbitz via IAD on United. The outbound is no problem. My concern is with the return. There is only 1 1/2 hours for clearing customs/immigration and getting luggage and then getting to the next flight -- is this enigh time? My main concern is because I think it may be the last IAD/ORD flight that night.

Mar 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
beth anderson

Hi Sally

For what this is worth, I have never had a time crunch going through customs. Any flight I've been on (mostly Paris/London) seems to be the only one at that point in time going through customs and you sail right through.

then again I am home at that point so I don't pay close attention to time - nor do I know the drill when you are traveling on. The terminals have shuttle buses, which I doubt would mean anything to you, I would think you would clear customs right there and turn around and get on the next plane.

do you know the terminals?

Beth

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:05 PM
s.fowler

Thanks for answering Beth
Both flights are United. I imagine the one from Paris would land at the terminal that handles international flights and that the IAD/ORD flight would leave.

In Chicago the major airlines [well United and American at least]have places right after customs where you can hand back your luggage for shlep it and recheck it. Then all you have to do is change terminals with no luggage other than your carry on stuff. Is there anything like that at IAD?

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:06 PM
s.fowler

My bad that was... The IAD/ORD flight would leave from ANOTHER terminal.

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:17 PM
beth anderson

Sally,

I will try to figure this out when I fly out (or back in) OK?

Beth

Mar 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Christina

That's my hometown airport, also, but because of that I don't ever have to transfer to another plane so am not clear on this. However, I have had very very long waits upon arrival from Europe at Dulles, I thought it was notorious for that -- not for customs, which is always quick, but for the luggage to be unloaded and arrive at the baggage carrousel. That's the long part, I think I've waited 45 min for stuff off Air France frequently. I don't think the terminals are divided that way at Dulles (international vs other), I think they are by airline. Unfortunately, I think regardless of what airline you arrive on, the shuttle bus you take in from the plane (you always need a shuttle bus at IAD) will go to the customs area, which is the same for everyone. I think. After going through customs, I think you then have to take a shuttle back out to the regular United terminal where you probably arrived. Dulles is fairly compact and efficient with those shuttles, I think (some others complain), in comparison to other airports. Houston is a nightmare in my opinion, involving trains and who knows what all, and both Denver and Chicago seem much larger.

Anyway, it would be no problem if it weren't for the baggage wait. I imagine there is a place to put baggage to transfer after getting through customs. Customs has always been rather short for me at Dulles, shorter than any other airport. So, I think you'll make it.

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Nancy

Dulles is also my hometown airport, so I hope I can help clear up the confusion. Passengers on connecting flights go through customs at one of the midfield terminals. This shaves off a lot of time in getting to the gate for the next flight. Only passengers whose final destination is Dulles go through customs at the main terminal. And the wait there can be quite long if several international flights arrive at the same time! But for those continuing on to other destinations, an hour and a half should be ample time to clear customs and board their next flight.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:44 PM
s.fowler

Thanks for the very helpful responses!