Reload this Page >

Ireland weather...Oct/Nov vs March/April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:21 PM
xxxxx

We're planning a trip to Ireland (also possibly UK) within the next year. We like to travel in the off season to save money and avoid crowds. Which would probably offer the best weather...an Oct/Nov trip, or March/April? Would we have the threat of snow at either of these times?

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
xxxxx

Anyone?!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM
KieranB

Snow is unlikely in Ireland in March, April or October, more likely in November in the northern half of the country, but nothing very heavy. Given a choice I'd visit in March/April you're more likely to get sunny spells like it is here today. See http://www.meteireann.ie for more weather information

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
xxxxx

Thank you...I was hoping to hear from someone direct from Ireland!<BR><BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Ann

Well, I've seen snow in Ireland in June. But it was in the north.<BR><BR>The very best time of year to go to Ireland is September. That's when you'll have the best chance of catching good weather. That's not to say you'll get good weather, but...<BR><BR>But if you're strictly talking March/April vs. Oct/Nov, then M/A wins, as you'll have more daylight hours.<BR><BR>And as Kieran said, the chances of snow are slim, and when it does snow, it's rarely more than a dusting. Last year, over Christmas, Northern Ireland got hit by what it considered a blizzard. We got 6 inches of snow, which pretty much shut down the entire province. Water mains all broke (no water for 5 days), there were no snowplows in the country, etc., etc. So as you can see, 6 inches of snow was a complete shock, and the heaviest snow fall they've had in 30 years or so.<BR><BR>BTW, I'm an American living in Ireland.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:06 PM
rebecca

More than just the weather...think of the hours of daylight.<BR>I think somone else can answer better but.... It gets dark so early in November and I think April you would have about an hour or so more. It makes a big difference when driving about!!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:10 PM
xxxxx

Thanks for everyone's help. I hadn't considered that the daylight hours could vary much between spring/fall. I'm glad you pointed that out.