? about Bayern-Bavaria Train Ticket

Nov 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

? about Bayern-Bavaria Train Ticket

Hello, everyone. I was looking over the Bahn.de website for rail schedule information and came across the special deal for 2 to 5 persons traveling together on one ticket, 27 Euro for an all day pass. I've read about that here before, too, but I need some help to decipher the rules.

The website states it can be used 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. the following day, Monday to Sunday. Then in the next sentence it says Saturday and Sunday can be used 0 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Is that a typo? Or does it mean you don't have to wait until 9:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday?

I understand this pass is only good for 2nd class travel, but I thought I read here that the ICE trains were not included. But on the website I believe it stated all trains were covered. Any clarification on that?

Also, I was wondering if I could get a similar type of pass for the Rhine Valley area for one day. Specifically, between Cochem and Rudesheim would be sufficient. There were a couple of passes that mentioned "Rhein" in their titles, but I couldn't determine what area that actually covered.

Thanks for any help in figuring this out!
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
DAX

The Schoenes Wochenende Ticket cost more than the regular weekday Laender Ticket, so the offer starts earlier plus there is no morning commuter rush during the weekend.

Yes there is Laender Ticket in the Rhein area also, however if you travel from Cochem on the Mosel to Rudesheim on the Rhein, you may have to buy 2-3 Laender passes because you'll be travelling through 2-3 German states. Yo.u may check the prepurchase offers for that one way travel
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM

The after 9am rule does only apply on weekdays, when there is the morning commuter rush. You can use the Bayern-Ticket for earlier trains on the weekend.

The Bayern-Ticket only can be use on local transportation, not on ICE, IC or EC trains. Use the following website and change "means of transportation from "standard search" to "local transportation only" to see which trains are allowed:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

As DAX said Cochem is in Rheinland-Pfalz/Saarland area and Rudesheim is in Hessen but I think that you can still use the Rheinland-Pfalz/Saarland Ticket. Here is a map of the coverage area and Rudesheim seems to be one of those few cities outside R-P/S still covered:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/postrep...45&keyword=130

There train gurus here or on Tripadvisor that might know for sure.

Regards, Gary
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
yk

The following is a link to the Bayern-Ticket website:
http://tinyurl.com/2883al

"tickets are valid from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 3 am on the following day, and on Saturdays and Sundays and all days that are holidays in the whole of Bavaria from midnight right through to 3 am the following day."

ICE, IC trains are not included. However, the Bayern ticket includes all local transportation; ie, local buses or trams etc.
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM

It's not a typo. You can use the Bayern-Ticket (or any other Länder-Ticket) from midnight (morning) on weekends.

You need only a €25 Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket to go from Cochem to Rudesheim. Most of your travel is within the state of Rheinland-Pfalz. Travel outside RLP on the line from St. Goarshausen to Rudeshein is also covered. If you go by train to Bingen and take the ferry to Rudesheim, the train is covered but not the ferry. To see the validity area for the RLP-Ticket see the map on their website, http://www.der-takt.de/fileadmin/Bil...rp_ticket.html.
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful replies! I leave two weeks from tomorrow, so just checking up on/tweaking some little details before I go. I already have a seven-day German Rail Pass, but I think I might need one more day of rail travel. So I think I'll just get the Bayern-Bavaria ticket for my companion and myself on the Munich-Fussen daytrip, which will fall on a weekend, and is also the route for which I first heard about this special kind of ticket in the first place.

Thanks again. Fodorites have never failed me since I first found this place eight years ago.
Nov 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Actually, the Bayern-Ticket cost €27 no matter where you use it, but Munich to Fuessen is probably a good choice since it is all regional connections anyway. Also, remember that the Bayern-Ticket is valid for the bus from Fuessen Bahnhof to Hohenschwangau, as well.

If you are leaving from Munich, you will probably buy your ticket from the MVV ticket automat. It's easy to use. It's kind of grey and has both the MVV and DB symbols, and two column of buttons on the right middle. Find the button that says "Bayern-Ticket" and push it. The display will show a number of choices following numbers. Bayern-Ticket will probably be #1. Press the selection # on the keypad, and it will give you a calendar to choose the date. If you are starting out by bus or streetcar, you might want to buy your Ticket the day before so you can use those conveyances as part of the Ticket. (There will be a machine in the U-/S-Bahn station.) Be careful, if the ticket says "Hier entwerten" you must stamp it before you first ride.
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Had a question on this line...

I will be traveling from Munich to Fussen with three others and was going to purchase the Bayern tix. When looking at the times of trains (local) on de bahn it does not offer the ticket as an option.

I am assuming we could just show up, purchase the tix, and jump on board but this way there is no guarantee of securing a seat. Is there a way to make a reservation now for a specific train, purchase the Bayern tix once there and be assured we will have seats? We will be traveling with luggage and I wanted to minimize juggling items.

The current price quoted on de bahn for 4 - standard tix was 83,20 euro.

Also - later we will be traveling from Fussen to Baden Baden. Is ir possible to combine the Bayern with the Baden area tix to make the journey? Otherwise, I will make the arrangements for a standard tix between the two locales (for 4 it is presently 116 euro).

The only reason I hesitate to wait until there to buy the tix is I ran into an issue already. For one leg of travel I tried booking several options and was unable to since the train is already full (for Dec 29 travel). I ended up with a selection that was not optimum but best of available choices. Just trying to avoid similar problems with the other legs.

Your thoughts?
Nov 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM

>I am assuming we could just show up, purchase the tix, and jump on board but this way there is no guarantee of securing a seat.

The Bavaria Ticket is only valid on local trains. There is no way of "securing the seat" on a local train. Period. Doesnīt matter whether you pay full price or arrive with a Bavaria-Ticket.

>Is there a way to make a reservation now for a specific train, purchase the Bayern tix once there and be assured we will have seats?

No. Any more than you would "purchase a seat" on a subway.

>We will be traveling with luggage and I wanted to minimize juggling items.

You get what you pay for. If you buy standard tickets 1st class - you wonīt have any worries. Otherwise...

>Also - later we will be traveling from Fussen to Baden Baden. Is ir possible to combine the Bayern with the Baden area tix to make the journey?

Yes, of course. You can buy the Baden-Württemberg ticket from the DB machines anywhere in Germany (but not from the MVV local transportation machines in Munich - these will sell only the Bavaria Ticket).
If you travel on a weekend buy the Weekend-Ticket (Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket). It is valid for the entire German train network, with the same conditions as the Länder-Tickets.

The only reason I hesitate to wait until there to buy the tix is I ran into an issue already. For one leg of travel I tried booking several options and was unable to since the train is already full (for Dec 29 travel).

Was it a night train? There you should really book in advance. Otherwise the trains in Germany just donīt fill up.
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM

The direct connections from Munich to Füssen are all on regional trains - no reservation are possible.

Unless you want to leave on the 7:51 train, the Bayern-Ticket is the best deal. And P-P tickets to Geltendorf and a B-T are the best deal on the 8:52.

BTW, I have riden several hundred regional trains in Germany in the last seven years and never had a problem with seats.
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I notice you have four people. In that case an MVV Gesamtnetz Tageskarte for €18 would be the least expensive option to Geltendorf on the 8:52 train.
Nov 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Altamiro and Larry - thank you for responding.

The train that was full was Karlsruhe to Paris. There were about 4 direct trains listed - & I was hoping for a midmorning to early afternoon departure - but those were full. I tried on line and also confirmed this by emailing de bahn and speaking to a representative in England. I ended up having to make an early morning reservation to ensure we had we seats.

Again - the focus was a direct train to minmimze the juggling of luggage. Didn't feel like getting some with multiple connections and having to climb off/on several times. We likely could have gotten on at times that were less favorable and/or had to catch multiple trains/connections.

Larry - I am sorry I don't know where Geltendorf is...guessing it is in the vicinity.

"...Unless you want to leave on the 7:51 train, the Bayern-Ticket is the best deal. And P-P tickets to Geltendorf and a B-T are the best deal on the 8:52..."

Also - unfamiliar with "MVV Gesamtnetz Tageskarte" - is that a ticket I purchase from a machine too - good for multiple people?

I have never been to Germany and am looking forward to the trip!
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archi...nnetz_2007.pdf.

This is the map of the S/U-Bahn system on MVV. Geltendorf is the last stop on the S8 line going to the west. If you use the Bahn website to get the itinerary for the 8:52 regional train to Füssen, you will see it listed as the first stop (9:22) after 9 AM.
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM

The official name is Partner-Tageskarte Gesamtnetz which mean Partner (2-5 people) Day Ticket Entire Network. There are two columns of buttons on the MVV ticket automat. It should be the 7th one down in the left hand column. It is a yellow button.
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Oh, I see. The high-speed trains in France require a reservation, so the number of tickets sold is limited by this. It is not the case for routes within Germany.

> I am sorry I don't know where Geltendorf is...

The only thing you need to know about Geltendorf is that it is the first stop your train makes after 9:00 (assuming you depart at 8:51 from Muenchen HBf). If you are travelling on a weekday and want to start earlier than 9:00 and to travel on with a Länder-Ticket you have to buy a valid ticket until the first stop AFTER 9:00.

The mean thing is that the train departs from München Pasing station at 8:58
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM

Altamiro and Larry - thanks again for all your help on this.

Just to recap and hopefully not seem like a dolt...

If we are traveling anywhere in the Bayern area with our 1st stop after 0900 - we get the Bayern tix {weekday}(for 27 euro) then just jump on a train (as alta put it - like taking a subway) hope for a seat and go. They do not limit the number of tix sold nor can anticipate who will be riding what trains - so crowd in, hold on and go.

When do we validate the tickets - when we board, during transit, or upon depature? Assuming we have the bayern or lander - do we just stamp it once at the onset to start the clock (so to speak)?

We are looking at taking some day trips from Munich to x-mas mkts in rothenburg, nurnberg and possibly regensburg. If we choose to get resv on trains via de bahn would we be assigned a specific seat or is it general addmission style seating (they don't oversell but there is no guarantee where you will be).

I was wondering - if due to the popularity of the x-mas mkts (especially in their final throes right near x-mas) - if it would behoove us to get the reservation? If we hang out at some of them until closing or after - and then try to hop a train back to Munich - I was thinking it might get pretty crowded. Any experience with this? Or recommendations?

I have been checking time schedules for the local and standard searches on de bahn to get a sense of when trains will run.

Trying to make the arrangements for the group and don't want to flub up

Dec 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM

I am still not sure you have that right. You need to have ticket coverage for your ENTIRE trip. If you start before 9 AM, and your first stop is after 9 AM, you need some kind of ticket coverage until the first stop; you can use the B-T after 9 AM.

Every Bayern-Ticket I have ever seen has had the date stamped on it, and it has been too wide to go in a cancelling machine. However, I think there might be some sold that need to be cancelled. You will know because it has the words "Hier ENTWERTEN" written on it with some arrows where you insert it in the machine to cancell it. The cancelling machines are in the station; do it before you get on. Also, one person in the group will have to sign the Bayern-Ticket and be with the group at all times.

Other MVV tickets, such as Tageskarten, might have to be cancelled. Again look for "Hier ENTWERTEN".
Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM

Maybe this does not answer all your questions, but I try to cover some of them:

Reservations

You either use the Bayern ticket and are limited to regional/local trains where no reservation is possible, or you choose to travel with long-distance trains and pay a regular higher fare plus the fee for reservations. The reservations for long-distance trains are for specific seats, and not like a general "admission" to take the train.

All of your potential destinations in Bavaria (Nürnberg, Regensburg, Rothenburg) can be reached with regional/local trains only. Regensburg and Rothenburg have no direct long-distance train services from Munich, so sooner or later you will have to take a regional/local train - and thus could have traveled with the Bayern ticket all the way.

Bayern ticket

As several other have pointed out, the Bayern ticket is only valid after 9am on weekdays. If you want to start your journey before 9am (from Munich, I assume), you have to get (in addition to the Bayern ticket) a valid ticket for the trains you need to use before 9am.

Example:
You want to travel from Munich to Füssen/Neuschwanstein, but the train leaves Munich central station at 8.52 am. 8 minutes too early for you to be allowed to use the Bayern ticket (and maybe you also need to take a subway to get from your hotel to the station).
option #1: wait one hour and take the 9.50something train
option #2: use a ticket from the local Munich public transport to bridge the gap of those 8 minutes until the Füssen train reaches the next station (i.e. the aforementioned Geltendorf, Munich suburb). By then, it is 9.22am and the Bayern ticket is valid for any travel the rest of the day.
option #3: do this trip on a saturday or sunday when the 9am restriction does not apply