Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help on night train reservations Florence to Munich-(LarryinColorado, maybe?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a night train trip from Florence to Munich in June 08. Larry in Colorado gave me the https://buchung.nachtzugreise.de website (Thanks Larry!) and I have been checking it periodically. They are now posting the schedules and fares 6 months out, which ALMOST puts us to our dates. We are travelling on a Monday night. During the first few months of 2008, there are special rates available most weekday nights, including Mondays. When I hit mid April those special rates are not available anymore.

My question - is this because they are just not on the website yet or is it because they won't be offered at all due to more people traveling that time of year?

Don't know if we should book now or wait for the chance for a special rate.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:10 AM

why book now - seems you'd always or at least for some months get the regular rate and perhaps the discounted ones don't come on until the Allegro train folks know how many extra spaces they will have to dump at lower rates

seems if they can sell all seats at regular rate it would be daft to let them go this earlier at a cheaper rate as they can always do that later down the line

don't know just a theory but i'd wait

are you sure you can book six months in advance - for my info - i thought it was usually two months
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM

I just went to the site and was able to find SparNight fares for a variety of dates up to and including 29 May. No booking of any kind was available beyond that date.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Tim, the latest date was May 29, but there were no "special rates" in May that I saw. Where did you see these rates - are the "Spar rates" "special rates" on that website?

PalenQ - I know I could wait and what you said makes perfect sense, however, have heard that night trains (sleeper compartments) book up fast and don't want to get stuck with seats.

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM

SparNight fares = Special fares.

I played around with a few dates and found that special fares were available for both couchettes and sleepers for my arbitrary April dates but only for couchettes for my arbitrary May dates. Does that mean that enough people have already booked sleepers for May that the special fares are gone? I don't know. I suggest that you call German rail and ask. Assuming you live in the US, dial 011 (US international access code) + 49 (country code for Germany) + (0)1805 141514. Omit the zero in parentheses. It is only used for calls originating in Germany.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM

In my last note I forgot to say that if it turns out to be true that the special fares for sleepers are already gone for May, then you'll want to book your June tickets on the very first day that booking is allowed for your particular date if you're going to have any chance of getting a special sleeper fare.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Tim, thanks for your help. This will be my first call to Germany......

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM

Cindy

The SPAR fares sell out quickly but not full fare tickets IME - i took this train recently and booked in Germany a few days ahead - i had a railpass but there were berths available a few days out