A Week in Umbria

Search

A Week in Umbria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Week in Umbria

My husband and I spent a wonderful week in Umbria (May 22 to May 29) and want to share with you how wonderful we found this part of Italy to be. Everyone we met was great and the towns are easy to get into and out off and the countryside was so clean and refreshing. The highlights of the trip included:
1. On May 24th we met Letizia of Madonna del Piatto for a day at her agriturismo cooking school. The setting could not be better high in the hills overlooking the backside of Assisi. The morning starts in Santa Maria degli Angeli at the Terra Umbra shop where Letizia schools you the different olive oils, balsamic vinagers, cheeses and meats before you go the her home. There we made pasta and two sauces, a zuchini side dish and a dessert. After cooking your meal time is spent enjoying local wine and savoring your creations.........a more perfect day could not be dreamed of.
2. A real treat I found during my research for the trip was the web site for UMBRIA DRIVER........to give my husband a break so he could totally enjoy the day trip to the Piano Grande, I decided to hire a driver for the day. Well, Gianlucca turned out to be someone not to miss if you want a special carefree day. He was so good that we presauded him to alter his plans and give us a second day for a trip to Orvieto and Todi. Gianlucca is fluent in English, a careful driver and can drive right into the center of towns and show and tell you about the highlights and take you to places most tourists do not see. The flowers on the Piano Grande were a mass of white and yellow and most likely would be in full bloom about 10 days later.
3. The Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Santa Maria degli Angeli is not to be missed. Inside you will find St Francis's Porziuncola.
4. Our greatest find though was staying at San Potente in Rivotorto at Villa Rosy in the Magnolia apartment. The Tonti family are the most caring of hosts and hostesses. The apartment far exceeded our expectations and the property that Villa Rosy sits on is amazing. Imagine driving up a long driveway surrounded by two thousand olive trees, gardens of rose bushes in full bloom and only able to see is the distance the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi. When the birds would sing early each morning I truely felt that St Francis himself was right outside my window with out stretched arms. If you choose this place to stay be sure to join the family at there place in Resgelia for an afternoon learning the ancient art of looming and joining the family for an Umbrian meal.
5. Other towns we visited included, Collipino, Spello, Norcia, Bevegna, Montefalco and Campello and the Temple on the Clitumno River.
Unfortunately, there is never enough time to do and see all you want to....but that just means another trip in the future. We will return to Villa rosy that is for sure and maybe bring family and friends and rent both apartments. It is very special.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM

I really appreciate you posting this! So far we have rented an apartment in Spello next June for a week. I am finding it interesting and helpful to see what you were able to do with a week in the area. With the exception of the cooking class, we are planning on doing many of the things you did and visiting many of the places you did.

Care to share any restaurant or food finds?

Can you post an email or website for your driver. I hadn't thought of that as we will have a car, but it might be fun for the drive to Piano Grande/Castelluccio/Norcia to leave the driving to someone else.

I am in process of figuring out where to add an additional 3 nights. I am leaning towards southern Umbria around Orvieto, but I am not sure. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks for sharing your trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:59 AM
DRJ

imaq: FWIW, you can click on my initials for more information on Umbria than you can probably use.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Yes DRJ, I have already figured that out! LOL!

Thanks, you have been immensely helpful already.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Iamq we liked Il Molino, in Spello; also, across the street within a block or so is a wonderful gourmet shop with herb blends etc. to bring home.

Sorry to piggyback dedec; glad you had a good week in Umbria; I also really enjoy this region and want to see more.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for posting about your trip - sounds wonderful!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

So glad my report was helpful. You will really love Umbria. We also had a wonderful lunch at Il Molino in Spello. In Montefalco we loved L'Alchemistra and sitting outside and watching the world pass by in the main square. Also on this piazza we found a wonderful small food store that we purchased several dinners to eat on our own terrace. In Santa Maria degeli angeli we had a great meal at Ristorante Basilica which is on the one way side street at the back of the church. There is another wonderful place we ate at in this town just as you enter the main street as you come from the train station. On this street you will find Terra Umbria the best gormet shop in Umbria. To find Gianlucca our driver email him at [email protected] We also had a car but for my husband to really enjoy the day and not have to concentrate only on the very curvy mountain roads we choode this route and it definitely made the day. There is a nice place for lunch in Casteluccio.....on the way you will stop and see Norcia. Hope this answers your questions but do not hesitate to email me at [email protected]
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi dedec...may I ask a question about your driver. My husband and I already have a lunch reservation on that day in Casteluccio and were planning to drive ourselves but I am reconsidering (although we may be too late as we are doing this next Monday). My question is, how did you handle lunch? Di you dine with Gianlucca or by yourselves? We are looking to have some time to ourselves.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks again dedec...and thanks annw. We'll be eating at Il Molino at least once I am sure. Thanks for the gourmet shop tip as well.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Hmm-m-m! Hadn't thought about hiring a driver to take us up to the Piano Grande! Thanks for the tip!

Do you mind sharing the route of your day trip with Gianlucca?
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

We invited Gianlucca to eat with us but I am sure it would not be a problem if you want to eat by yourselves.

Gianlucca picked us up at our apartment in Rovotorto right on time....believe it was 9:30 or 10 and we then stopped in Norcia to walk through that town and see several churches....then on to the Piano Grande.....stopped at the top ridge for pictures and wandering around by ourselves before driving down to the piano....we then again got out of the car and walked all around the place by ourselves before we headed to Casteluccio in the car. Very leisurely lunch before taking a different route home.....think it was about 5 when we returned.