Umbrian Holiday Query

Search

Umbrian Holiday Query

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbrian Holiday Query

My husband and I are going to Umbria from May 5-9. We are interested in staying on a vineyard or in a farmhouse/hotel (not a self-catering apt.) with a pool. Does anyone have reccomendations as to where to stay? Also - what are the "must-see" towns of Umbria for our 4 day trip? We'll have a car. We'd like to take a cooking class while there....any reccs. on classes? Many thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Malvarina near Assisi fits your desires well.
http://www.ware.it/Agritour/Umbria/A...ina/eindex.htm
It will put you close to Assisi, plus Maria does give cooking classes at times.
Run a search here using "umbria" and you'll find tons of places people recommend.Orvieto, Spoleto, Perugia,etc. are all possible day trips.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:52 AM

We spent a couple of nights at Locanda Rosati, right outside of Orvieto. It has a pool, but I'm not sure it will be warm enough to swin in early May.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Please give consideration to Le Case Gialle in Gualdo Cattaneo. Although their usual stay is one week, Saturday to Saturday, May might possibly be designated as their low season and qualify for stays of less than 7 days.

There is a pool on the property, in a lovely setting with views toward the neighboring towns of Montefalco and Spello. However, pools all over Tuscany and Umbria are usually closed until the weather warms up a bit - closer to June.

Their are five apartments - all charming and thoughtfully furnished. The owners, Mauro and Silvana, are incredibly warm and eager to make your stay in Umbria an unforgettable experience. When you arrive, the kitchen table holds a gift of Silvana's jam and Mauro's award-winning olive oil. Bread, fresh from the bakery, is delivered to your door each morning.

Must see towns - Spello, Assisi, Bevagna, Spoleto, Montefalco, Perugia and, if you can travel further afield, Gubbio and Orvieto.

You could do a search on Slow Travel and find other very satisfied previous visitors to Le Case Gialle. My husband and I are returning to Le Case Gialle again in late April.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM

I am sorry - you said not a self-catering apartment. Le Case Gialle is self-catering.

We have stayed one week at Malvarina - in the autumn of 2000. Although we rented a cottage, there are rooms too. Food is served family style each evening and is fabulous. Maria does offer cooking classes - but they must be arranged prior to your visit and she does not speak English.

You may want to contact the tour guide Anne Robichaud prior to your visit or look at her website Anne's Italy. I seem to remember cooking classes.