A Week in Spain in Sept.

Search

A Week in Spain in Sept.

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Week in Spain in Sept.

My wife and I are going to Spain the second week of Sept. After a dozen trips to Europe, we're finally filling a huge and inexcusable void with our 1st visit to Spain. We'll only have 7 days in country + 2 for flying to/from the States. Our tentative itinerary is to fly into Barcelona; then, after 3 full days, fly to Granada, and fly out of Granada after 4 days. Our goals are, obviously, not to see as much of the country as humanly possible, but to try to see some things. We definitely want to relax [she more than me], we want at least some time on a nice [not overcrowded] sandy beach w/ nice water, we want access to good food [can't wait for the jamon bellota] and we want to experience both urban pleasure [bcn] and small village charm [alpujarras?]. We will go to museums and historical places, but will not linger and scrutinize. Thus, we selected Granada as our second base camp because of access to the sea and the hills. I imagine some of you would vote for Seville instead of Granada, but aren't our seaside and mountain excursions thus limited? Should we use daytrips out of Bcn to get our beach fix rather than use the days in Andalusia for it? I also would guess that others will urge us to stay in the north and to head up to San Sebastian and Santender for the second leg. I'll certainly listen to your arguments. I also may want try to sneak in a day trip to Morocco. Yes, I know that I won't be able to get to the good parts via a day trip [no Marrakech, no Fez, no Atlas Mtns.], but I want to see what little I can [and add a country in my quest for 100]. We generally travel independently and without reservations, but I suspect mid-Sept. in Spain will be pretty busy and we should book desirable accomodations. I speak Spanish pretty well, for what it's worth, but I don't imagine that'll matter in terms of itinerary decisions. Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM
donnabee

Morocco is pretty far from Granda, and really isn't worth a visit. We found it too be very dirty and poor. Instead, I would suggest the Rock of Gibraltar, but that's pretty far from Granda also. The beaches in Spain are nothing like the beaches in the US. They are very rocky and hardly any sand. One place you might like to visit is Malaga.

Old May 6th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Four full days in Granada are too much in my opinion. I would take a day trip to the Alpujarras mountains and instead of seeing the Granada or Malaga coast - yes, too rocky and with gritty gray sand- use one night to spend in the Jerez/Cadiz area, where the best beaches in the south are ( Conil, Zahara de los Atunes, Chiclana/Sancti Petri, Caños de Meca ). This area is less touristy and more authentic and also cheaper than the Costa del Sol. Nice white towns like Vejer or Arcos also in the vicinity.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't think that your itinerary is practical. You can't get from Barcelona to Granada to the beach and to Morocco in 7 days. You also need more than 3 days in Barcelona. It is a gorgeous city. You also don't realize how far things are. Granada is a short flight from Barcelona, but it will still take 1/2 a day due to airport time and traveling to and from. I would do 4 days in Barcelona (you will need it). Fly to Granada on day 5. Spend the day wandering the city. Day 6 rent a car and drive to Nerja. I believe there is a beach there. Also some caves & nice places overlooking the beach for lunch. Day 7 you will need the morning for the Alhambra (morning is best before it gets hot and crowded). The rest of the day you can use to take a drive somewhere in the area-I am sure other fodorites can help you.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:12 AM
donnabee

If you are going to Barcelona - why not go to the French Rivera?

Old May 6th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Morocco despite being less rich and clean than European countries is definitely worth a visit. However, a good overview of Morocco would take at least 10 days. Do not be put off from visiting a country because it doesn't look like Disneyland; you may be missing out on some great art and life in general. I spent seven days in Morocco and saw Fez, Marrakesh and Casablanca and 7 days is not enough time. I suggest that you stick to Spain - 4 days in Barcelona, at least one full day in Granada (one of my favorite places in Spain, and 2 days on the beach at Nerja or go on to Seville, Cordorba or Ronda. Flying between Barcelona and Granada would be your best bet since it takes too long for the train or driving for such a short vacation. Have fun!
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not worried about Morrocco not being pristine; I've travelled around Africa, S.E. Asia and the Pac. Islands, w/ and w/o reservations, and prefer to be somewhere that tells me that I'm nowhere near home. From what I've read, there are plenty of sandy beaches in Spain, in addition to the rocky ones; I've just got to devise an itinerary that makes sense and includes access to them. Upon further thought, I'm thinking of extending the Barcelona/northern Spain leg to 5 days to include a little time on the Costa Brava and get my beach fix there -- e.g., Tossa del Mar ? -- and then do the Granada leg to see the Alhambra and Alpujarras. Or, maybe Seville instead? Or, maybe I should leave BCN to 3 days and take Olga's suggestion and replace Granada w/ Cadiz/Jerez, get my beach fix in that region, and do a day trip to Seville and maybe Ronda. Your further thoughts are greatly appreciated
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:10 PM

In spite of the comments of other posters there is nothing wrong with the beaches at Torremolinos and this is a good base to visit Granada and Ronda for a day .
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:37 AM
donnabee

Ronda is my favorite! If go to this area, don't forget to visit Mijas also - and Coin. One thing that is great about Spain, you can take any side road, go up into the mountains, and find a nice village. Go to one of the unknown tourist villages restaurants - there you will find authentic food (you won't get the menus with pictures!).

Old May 7th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your replies. Largely due to your comments, I'm now thinking about extending Barcelona slightly and then flying to Granada, but, instead of basing ourselves in Granada, stay in a smaller coastal town intead, and do day trips to Granada and the Alpujarras, and get some beach time. I'm thinking of Salobrena or Nerja. Any thoughts on their respective merit, and any others to suggest? Again, many thanks.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Try this link to see pictures of every beach in Spain, it may help make your mind up. It's from the Environmental Agency and only in spanish, but easy to use. Just click on the province and then on the particular beach, and then hit VER MAS FOTOS.
Another good one is www.esplaya.com
Not only do you get pictures, but also video in the last one, as well as information about how developed each beach is, the services, etc.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Olga, thanks for the mention of the beach links; but, I believe you omitted the 1st link, the one in Spanish with the pix of all the beaches. Can you provide the URL please. Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:54 AM

I'm sorry, what was I thinking!
Here it is:

http://www.mma.es/costas/guia_playas/index.htm

This one shows aerial views, so it's good for finding out how the resorts and their surroundings are, whereas esplaya.com shows more of the actual beach conditions.