Preliminary itinerary for 1st trip to Spain in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a VERY preliminary itinerary for my 1st Spain trip, hopefully in mid-June. One consideration is that I love spending about half my time on beautiful, preferably undeveloped beaches while spending the other half sightseeing.

3 nights Seville

3 nights Tarifa: or is there another Costa de la Luz town that you recommend? The one consideration here is that I want to hire a private guide and go to Morocco for a day, and I know the ferry takes out of Tarifa. I know this is not the most recommended thing to do on this site, but it seems like with a private guide it could be a very good experience. So I would think that I would need to be at least a 30-45 minute ride to Tarifa to do this.

I also have a habit of liking to "dip my toes" into other countries while traveling, especially when I'm so close. Are there any towns in Portugal that are close to the Costa de la Luz that are recommended?

3 nights Nerja

3 nights Granada

3 nights Barcelona: I know Madrid goes better with this itinerary, but at this point I'd much rather visit Barcelona. After Barcelona I will be flying to Italy to see family for a week.

Any thoughts on alternate towns, beaches, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Hi,

I'd probably spend only 2 nights in Granada and 4 in Barcelona. Granada is nice but the interesting parts are pretty small and don't take much time, outside of the Alhambra.

Also, consider flying from Granada to Barcelona. I did this on Iberia for about $30, and they have a bunch of flights every day.

Karen
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

I'll definitely be flying from Granada to Barcelona, thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

No other thoughts? I think I will re-post with a better title....
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I can't comment on Tarifa but highly recommend Nerja, Granada, Sevilla and the pueblos blancos. I highly recommend visiting some of the villages east of Seville such as Ronda, Arcos, Grazelema, etc. Only a few kilometers north of Nerja is a charming village - Frigiliana - a beautiful town in the hills overlooking the Mediterranean that really is worth a trip.
You probably won't find really undeveloped beaches around Nerja but the further east you go along the coast, the less developed they are.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:02 PM

If you are flying Granada to Barcelona you may be better off booking the flights on-line. I believe Iberia is the only airline that does that route and they offer both non-stops and flights with a connection in Madrid.

You'll get BETTER prices if you book through Iberia's website as opposed to using Expedia or other such engines. You can usually get e-tickets which only require you to present identification upon arrival at the check-in counter.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Agree on shortening Granada to 2 nts. It's a stunningly beautiful city and the Alhambra is a "must-see-it-before-you-die" sight, but you'll be ready to go on the 3rd day.
Barcelona is awesome. I only spent 3 nts there in May but could easily have stayed a week.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely shorten Granada to 2 nights. Being that I want ample beach time, I'd probably like to add it to a beach location.