Search

A week in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:03 AM
LVK

A week in Paris

I will be in Paris with a friend during the week of May 20. I'm having a hard time to decide on what area in Paris to stay... So many nice places. Any hotel/neighborhood recommendations? Also, if you have any suggestions on things to do in May, I would be happy to hear about it.<BR>Thanks.

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Frenchy

I would suggest the Marais or Saint Germain des Pres as places to stay. There are good hotel recommendations on that board as well as on www.bonjourparis.com.<BR>Bon voyage!

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Ursula

LKV: You better hurry with your hotel booking. A lot of small boutique hotels in nice areas fill up quickly and May is a very popular month for a Paris trip. <BR>I second the areas of Saint-Germain des Pres and Marais. You might also want to consider Montparnasse (6th/14th arr.) or the 7th arr. (Ecole Militaire/Latour-Maubourg area).<BR><BR>Bonjour Paris is a marvellous source for all sorts of information. <BR><BR>For current and forthcoming events, I suggest you check the Paris Tourist Office site at:<BR>http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va.html<BR><BR>Once in Paris, get a copy of the weekly Paris "What's on" called "Pariscope". Runs from Wed-Tue with a small section in English as well.<BR>You can read it online in French at :<BR>www.pariscope.fr<BR><BR>Don't forget, May 20 is a public holiday in most European countries, France included.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Sue

Will the stores and shops be closed on May 20? Looks as tho I have successfully and knowingly avoided May 8,9, but have gotten myself there on another holiday that may foul up my plans. Any info?

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Louis Parent

I like the area around Jardins du Luxembourg (5th and 6th arrondissement).It is quiter, has more parks. A lot of good and relatively cheap restaurants, specialy on rue Mouffetard. Direct train link (RER) from Charles-de-Gaule to Luxembourg station.<BR>Try the "H&ocirc;tel Jardins du Luxembourg" on Impasse Royer Collard. Very nice and quiet. Might be sold out though. You might also try the "St-Christophe" on Lac&eacute;p&egrave;de.