Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Vegan in Italy - is it possible without starving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any vegans or vegetarians out there who have been to Italy? I know your probably thinking why would anyone go to Italy and not be able to enjoy all the food it has to offer! Well, last time I was there I was not a vegan, but this time I will be going as one. My concern is that Italy is almost all about the food so wondering if any of you have found that there are options for people who don't eat meat and/or dairy. I know there are lots of pasta choices, but I'm hoping I don't have to live on carbs for the whole 10 days.

Would like to hear from you vegans out there who have been to Italy.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well historically the poor ate bean soups and stews and these are still around, dried tomatoes and generally oiled and dried vegetables are big in snacks and side dishes, pasta doesn't have to have egg in it. Hope that is a starter for 10
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh and rice, the PO valley is Europe's main rice production area and risotto is big up there.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:46 AM

It is absolutely possible. The vegetables are wonderful. I am not a vegan but you will find threads on this forum asking the same question. Do a search using the search box above.

And, by the way, Italy is not "almost all about food" though that is a large part of the fun.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:18 AM

This recent trip report may be of interest to you; author is vegan, though I think wasn't strict while in Italy

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Grazie, Grazie!! I will be heading to the Almalfi coast so I will do a search for vegans who have traveled there. I won't be as strict with cheese and butter but do not want to eat it every day. Yes, the vegetables and beans sound like a delicious option. As long as there are not tons of cheese involved. The one thread did give some great Italian phrases for vegans which I will make sure I learn!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM

I think vegetarian is very easy - and vegan doable but more difficult. Easier in the south with olive oil - harder in the north were butter is used more often.

I would search now for vegan/vegetarian places that may be able to adapt dishes.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Cheese shouldn't be that big a problem. Italian-American food has far more cheese than real Italian food.

If you can't read Italian, bring a dictionary of food terms. If you can't speak much Italian, print out one (or more) of these cards: http://veg.ca/images/italiantravelcard.jpg.

If you google, you'll find restaurant suggestions. If you don't plan a lot of moving around, consider renting an apartment and doing some of your own cooking.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM

I am pescetarian, but I really prefer to eat vegetarian as much as possible. What has helped me a lot in Italy as well as other countries is to buy/check out cookbooks about the cuisine so I know in advance what to look for in the season I'll be visiting. Also, remember the regional differences can be pronounced so make sure to focus on where you'll be. Hope that helps!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Pescetarian I am assuming means you do eat fish? I will actually eat fish now and again myself so I am not 100% vegan but I just don't want to eat fish too often. Great idea about checking out foods in that region during the season we are visiting. Thanks for the Italian veg card! I will make sure to memorize that!

Renting was also another option I was thinking.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Also, depending on the season, look for carciofi (artichokes)--when they are sliced fresh and tossed with lemon and olive oil, oh my!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Yes--I actually dislike that word because it sounds like I only eat fish, and I am vegetarian 99% of the time but will eat fresh, local seafood. If you are open to that and some dairy while traveling, then you will be absolutely fine (in heaven, even)! I would definitely try to rent a place though. The fruit will be amazing, too, so you'll be able to counteract the decadence.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Ohhhhh....I forgot about the artichokes! All the fresh fruit and veggies! I can't wait!

Thanks everyone for making me feel much better about planning this trip.

I will not let my going "veganish" stop me from enjoying every bit of Italy!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:13 AM

>>>><i> I will actually eat fish now and again myself so I am not 100% vegan <i>

LOL, you're not even 100% vegetarian! You are definitely not vegan. Just have a good time and don't obsess about food.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM

If going to Naples there's a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the old town, about 5 to 10 minutes from the Archeological Museum.

Click on the pink dot to the right of the picture and you will see its location: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57627058744325
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Doppio - OUCH!

Michael - thanks so much! Will check out this restaurant while in Naples.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM

I've traveled with a vegan before. Never again. Drove everyone crazy. Bugged the waiters, "no butter!! No cheese!! Are you SURE there's no butter in this? I taste butter!! Spent half the trip obsessing an talking about where she could and couldn't eat, etc. the whole trip ended up revolving around her dietary needs.

On another trip I went with a vegetarian and it was loads of fun. He just ordered dishes with no mea/fisht, and there was no discussion about his diet at all.

Just try and be a bit relaxed for the sake of your travel mates and the sanity of the chefs and waiters Since you say you will eat fish and some cheese and butter, I'm not sure why you even call yourself a vegan. True vegans are very strict. It's a lifestyle. They don't budge, even when traveling. No need to even put a label on yourself and say you are a vegan. People may think it sounds "cool" in the US, but in Europe it sounds ridiculous. Especially if you say you are a vegan and then later say you will eat fish, butter and cheese.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM

For starters, your comment "Italy is almost all about the food " is totally WRONG. Yes, there are plenty of foodies out there whose primary reason for going to Italy is to to eat but if you think that's the main thing Italy has to offer you are seriously mistaken!!! What about the art, architecture, history, culture, landscape, etc. etc. etc.

Obviously you do have to eat, and eating well would be a plus. You said you could relax your food requirements a bit and if you are willing to do this you'll be fine. If you are very strict you will have a lot more trouble since you won't be able to even eat pasta without checking to see if it has eggs, or even bread since a lot of that has butter and/or milk. Vegetarian = no problem at all; vegan = much more difficult.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

It is more for dietary reasons than fundamental reasons so I could less about being cool.

Yes, Italy is about history, culture, landscape, etc, but it is also about the food.

The truth hurts! I think I'll go to Frommer's, maybe they'll be a lot more compassionate there.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM

http://veganbackpacker.com/category/...-travel-italy/

Also, the woman who runs this tour is actually vegan herself, I believe:

http://antiquatours.com/our-wine-tou...market-stroll/

And yes, ask other places

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -