A threat to the "real" Camembert

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

A threat to the "real" Camembert

This wonderful cheese from Normandy is slowly losing its authenticy. Thankfully One cheese maker hangs in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/20/di...mp;oref=slogin
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM

i was just reading this article (and drooling at the same time!)
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM

If you eat the crust, you can live with pasteurized cheese as well! Who cares.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
ira

One more example of the general lessening of standards.

It would be horrible if a milk product that tastes like the cheese we get (for no small price) at our local Ingles were to be labeled, "Camambert AOC".

Aux les barricades!!

Allons enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !....

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
ira

Oh phoo,

CamEmbert.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Well, a few things are for "us", the others are for "them". As long as they don't want to eat what we eat it's o.k.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
ira

PS

Aux armes, citoyens !
Formez vos bataillons !
Marchons, marchons !
Qu'un [lait] impur
Abreuve nos sillons !

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:29 PM

This article is misleading -- most people in France, at least in the last 30 years, have always bought camembert made with pasteurized milk. All of the top brands -- Président, Coeur de Lion, etc. -- are made with pasteurized milk. While raw milk camembert is acknowledged to be tastier and 'more authentic' -- most people simply do not like it, plus it doesn't keep as long, while people are eating much less cheese than they used to and need to be able to conserve it for longer periods. There is even a commercial on French TV at the moment for a new camembert. A couple is returning from a few days vacation and foraging in the refrigerator. "Here's some camembert," says hubby. "Yuck," says the wife. "It should be strong enough to kill us by now." (or something to that effect) "No, not at all. It's protected by this wonderful plastic flavor dome."

It should also be pointed out that camembert is not even a protected name (yet) and can be made and marketed anywhere in the world with that name. I'm sure that a lot of you know that Danish camembert is often sold in the U.S. whereas I confess to having bought Irish camembert in France.

Meanwhile, feta finally got its 'label' and by 2008? maybe 2009? only Greek feta will be able to be sold by that name in the EU. Since 85% of the feta in Europe is made in Germany, France and Denmark, the industrial cheesemakers are all upset. I suppose they will not think up a new name and just call it 'feta style'. If only Americans would use the 'style' word more often. I groan every time I go to the U.S. and see Kraft 'Parmesan' cheese.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM

I love the cheese and if I let it get ripe enough so it runs a little, I really can't tell the difference. Even so, I always try to make sure I get the non pasturized when I find it. Just goes to show.