French bread and pastry shops

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French bread and pastry shops

Under what conditions may a bakery in France call itself " artisan"? Thank you.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:20 PM

http://www.lesmetiersdugout.fr/html/...ise-artisanale
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:30 PM

I do not have the official answer but I should think that, at a minimum, a boulangerie so named would make everything on the premises, using only basic ingredients. Nothing would be sold that was not make there and nothing would be mixed elsewhere and only baked at the point of sale.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 01:11 PM

That's true, it has to be made on site, including mixed on-site (ie, the dough can't be made up elsewhere and only baked there) and never frozen. StCirq's link also says they can't have more than 10 employees. Of course, they have some bureaucracy, have to be registered.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM

Christine, do you have a source for that? The link provided by StCirq says nothing about how and where the dough must be produced. On the other hand, the following article (number 1, on the left) questions the concept of "artisanat".

http://www.latoque.fr/dossiers/econo...les-66556.html

See especially:

<i> Ces fonds de commerce tiennent souvent à garder l’appellation « boulangerie » (qui exige de fabriquer le pain sur le lieu de vente) et proposent d’ailleurs un bon pain de « tradition française ». Ils intègrent à cet effet dans chaque point de vente un véritable fournil (qu’ils placent souvent à la vue des clients) et embauchent de vrais artisans boulangers. Ils font donc le choix de fonctionner en « mode artisanal » pour le pain. Mais pour la viennoiserie, la pâtisserie, le traiteur (et parfois les pains spéciaux), tout est centralisé en un ou plusieurs sites de production à dimension industrielle ou semi-industrielle. La fabrication de pâtisseries-viennoiseries, parfois revendiquée comme « artisanale », reste totalement opaque pour le consommateur. </i>

It seems that these places make the bread on the premises, but that everything else they sell can be at least partially made off site.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
And never forget that the macarons sold by Ladurée and McDonald's France are made in exactly the same factory.