a short visit to london and cambridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just returned from a trip to london and cambridge.

i flew from houston to heathrow on continental--it appears that there are different video systems on the planes--on the flight to london we had the customized system where you could chose from a number of movies. on the way back there were only a small number of choices (9?)--some tv shows and a few movies. the food was very average. some day i will get smart and bring my own food..

we took the tube into town--it takes about an hour on the picadily line.

we were very fortunate to find a great rate at the mayfair, which is a 5-star hotel just a block from the green park metro station (on the picadilly line from the airport). they gave us a room when we arrived at 11AM, which we appreciated a lot. the rate ($250 per night) included breakfast, adn man what a breakfast. they had a nice buffet of fruit (even strawberries and blueberries!), juice, bread adn yogurt. you could order an egg dish. there was free computer use in the business room. the bathtub was huge, the bed very comfy. definitely an A+.

we got weeklong oyster cards and rode busses everywhere, including to st pauls where we walked across the bridge to the tate modern. quite a museum (free to most things). it had a great interactive setup where you could look on a computer and see what was on display in each room..

we then walked back to st pauls and went to the evensong at 5.

one thing i have finally realized is that, if I am going to ride the tube from the airport,and to train stations, i need to pack everything into one roller bag. I took 2 bags this time adn it was a mess lugging them around.

i took the train from london liverpool st to cambridge. it takes about 90 minutes. it is much easier getting around cambridge compared to london. for example, my cab fare was 5 pounds to get from the train station to a hotel near the colleges (the crown plaza). this hotel was very average after the mayfair.. adn i learned that some people drink until very late at night on cambridge on teh weekends-i was glad i took my earplugs.

most colleges seem to now be charging visitors to walk around--not a lot-maybe one or 2 pounds...i was fortunate to go to dinner at one of the colleges--many of the dining halls are spectacular--such as st johns and trinity. i went to gonville adn cauis, which was very nice, altho the food wasn't very good. a had breaksfst one morning at the kettle restaurant, just across from Kings' college. you can eat breakfast and enjoy the view of kings..

i went back to london in part because i had tickets to see a play at the national theater. teh 10 pound ticket at the national is one of world's great deals. all 3 plays on saturday night were sold out. there are a number of inexpensive restaurants on the thames near the theater where you could have dinner before the play. one thing i noticed--people tend to bring their own drinks to the theater--either water bottles or wine.

on my last day in town i went to the national gallery. I decided to go to one of the general tours of the collection adn the woman who led that tour was very good--she knew a great deal about the artists and the works she talked about.. I also got one of the taped reference devices--where you punch in the number of the painting you are looking at and someone tells you about the work.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM

one thing i have finally realized is that, if I am going to ride the tube from the airport,and to train stations, i need to pack everything into one roller bag. I took 2 bags this time adn it was a mess lugging them around.>

Great tip - Tube is a great cheap way to get into London from Heathrow but it can be a nightmare with too much luggage - esp if you must change off the direct line from the airport - some of those Tube station interchanges can have you going up and down steps and walking seemingly forever - at times in really crowded spaces.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Nice trip report. 8-)

It sounds like you had a slow train to Cambridge - you can do it in more like 60 mins if you get one of the faster services from Liverpool St.

Or you can go from Kings Cross, up a different line, but arriving at the same station in Cambridge - about 45 mins I think.

BTW, really good to see someone recommending the National Theatre - it doesn't get as much discussion on here as the West End and assorted musicals, but there are some great plays, and some good deals to be had at the NT.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Oh, to be able to pack in one carryon bag. I am pitifully extravagant in my packing. Hoping to change my ways, as now I have a taste of how much better it can be to avoid cabs from the airport. Any suggestions,.

By the way, London is next on our list. Thanks for the report.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM

we got weeklong oyster cards and rode busses everywhere>

More and more i too, after years of riding the Tube, hop on buses- i love to go up on the top deck and try to get in the front seat, over the driver.

Buses are obviously slower than the Tube but for short distances they can be quicker- takes time to descend into the Tube andat times you can walk it seems miles to get to the trains.

Buses are very frequent and go everywhere.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

one other comment to make--our last 2 nights we stayed at the grand at trafalgar square. this is a great location; there was one curious thing. it was starting to warm up, but was still only about 60 during the day and colder at night. for whatever reason the rooms were very warm. we tried to turn on some AC but all we got was hot air. when i called to the front desk, the person said, "we haven't turned on the AC yet-you need to open your window to cool the room." we did this, but obviously was a noisy solution.