A Room with a view!

Oct 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

A Room with a view!

I'll be in Paris at the end of October, and would like a hotel room with a view of the eiffel tower.
Any recommendations?
Price is no object.

Many thanks,
A&A
Oct 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Plaza Athenee. www.LHW.com
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM

What a wonderful question, but I assume this is strictly a hypothetical question, or are you checking for a friend.

Do you really mean price is no object?
I hate to be personal, but since you ask personal questions as well, I'm OK with it this time. It seems an odd statement after your post just a couple months ago:

Author: lizzy458
Date: 08/05/2004, 11:37 am
Message: Just curious as to how you all get to travel so frequently?
What is the average age of the posters? What do you do for a living? Do you own houses? cars? have kids?
I get the feeling, that it is a somewhat "older" crowd here...could be wrong though...

I oersonally don't know many people that get to travel to europe (from n. america) twice a year unless visiting and stayling with family.

...So any tips on how to travel so often? Would love to, but the wallet says otherwise!"

So to answer you older question. How do we all get to travel so often? We don't spend $700 a night for "price is no object" hotels!

Oct 10th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Lizzy, you've been busted.

Trolling through the park one day. . . .
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I appreciate the first response...I have NOT been busted, as I am actually leaving for France for 2 weeks on Sat. I have an extra 2 days at the end of my trip in Paris.

Once I looked on that web site though...$600 is not in my price range....so I will re-phrase my question....anything with a nice view for around $250-300?

That post a few months ago, actually did help...afterall there were alot of great tips there.

...wow....harsh forum.
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

harsh? Not at all. I was just curious why someone who one day asks how people can go to Europe all the time when she can't afford to, would suddenly be looking for a "price no object" hotel. Why is asking about that being harsh?

Now I see that it all makes more sense. Price IS an object, just like it is for most of us.

Sorry, I can't help with a specific hotel where a view of the Eiffel Tower will be guaranteed. We did once stay in the top floor room at the Hotel Parc Severin -- which is a long way from the Eiffel Tower, but has a huge terrace that wraps around three sides and does give wonderful views including one of the Eiffel Tower. The room number is 70, and I believe it runs right around $300 now.
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM

I can't help with your hotel question, but can help. I'd say it's really not a harsh forum (or at least that you haven't experienced its harshness here). And the tip you got from Patrick is good, and can be taken further.

Most people here couldn't afford to travel to Europe as often as they do if they even stayed in hotels with a view for $250-$300/night.

Now, I'm not judging your desires. But, just know that you can have a perfectly nice and clean small hotel for $100-$150/night in Paris that doesn't have a view, but from which you could walk 5 minutes and be sitting on a bench in front of the Tour Eiffel.

If you prefer the view, that's your preference, but then you can't really complain that you can't afford to travel more often if you're choosing very, very expensive travel options. We all prioritize, and you've chosen a view over frequency of travel. C'est la vie!
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM

So why say price is no object if indeed it is? Now 200-300 euros (or was it dollars?) is nothing to shake a stick at, but that is probably not the most luxurious room to be had in Paris. I am not being rude, but be specific and maybe you will get the answers that you are looking for.
Oct 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM

I haven't ever had one, but this question comes up several times a year on here at least, so there are various posts on here with specific recommendations. Try searching for paris AND hotel AND eiffel AND view

Some may have views, but you can't reserve them. I think the Tourville hotel in the 7th may have one or more which you can book. I think the Hotel Rond-point du Longchamp in the 16th might have views of the tower. In Montmartre, there is one that I think is Regyn's Montmartre (you can specify and pay a little for it); it's not that expensive, but the view is really over all of Paris.

The odds are you won't get a great hotel with a special view room with only a couple weeks notice, though, in peak season.
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:36 AM

I'm going to offer a defense of Lizzy here. It is possible that the stated "price is no object" criterion was just to get a general feel for where in the city the nicest places with the best views are located. Then, she could use that geographic information to start narrowing down her $250 options. Because if view is an important criterion, then the place next door to "the best view in town" probably isn't bad either. Just a thought.
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you Patrick...I was referring to the poster who said I was trolling.

I am starting off my 2 week France holiday in Paris. Booked a hostel for 70 euro for the 2 of us. Off to Blois, Bourges, Dijon...all on budget....found that we have 2 extra days at the end of our trip, and want to end it off at a more upscale hotel.

jlm_mi; it sure seems like judging
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Lizzy, you have a great time on YOUR vacation! I'm happy you've gained those 2 extra days and that you have the extra money to go a little upscale.

I stay at budget hotels so I can have tea at the Ritz!!!

Bonne journée!
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Sighing and wishing that Price was no object.
I never stay in the 7th which is where the hotels that have views are..Left Bank..
But there are so many lovely small hotels that are affordable that have views! need it be only the Eiffel?

Oct 11th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you Beatchick and Scarlett!

No, it doesn't necessarily have to be an eiffel view only....any suggestions?

Thanks.
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM

The Hotel Duquesne-Eiffel in the 7th has rooms with views of the Tour Eiffel within your budget.
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Ahhh, Lizzie. My first trip to Paris I stayed at the Hôtel les Degrés de Notre Dame on the rue des Grands Degrés, which has some rooms with views of NOTRE DAME!! It's still my favorite hotel.

Here's their website:
http://www.lesdegreshotel.com

And here are some comments I've posted about them on the web:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html

Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

I got back from my wonderful 2 week France trip, and ended up staying at the The Hotel Duquesne-Eiffel - room 35 for 3 nights rather than 2. Fantastic view of the Eiffel Tower and was 131 Euros a night (booked on-line).

Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Good for you, lizzie - I'm glad it worked out for you.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:44 AM

Congratulations, Lizzy! StCirq really gives great advice, doesn't she?

I hope you find the time to post here about your trip, maybe give us a little trip report.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes - Thank you StCirq for the great advice!
I will post something once it's done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO