A quick trip to Neuschwanstein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to Munich this week for business, and I have an entire day to myself (the day I arrive). I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to visit Neuschwanstein, or if the time I have will make the visit not worth it/too much stress.

Details:
Arrive in Munich at 9AM
Staying at the Kempinski in the airport
Need to be back at the hotel by 7PM for dinner with colleagues

Thoughts? Also how crowded is Neuschwanstein in early May on a Wednesday?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Lauren
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:01 AM

I don't think I would want to do anything that involved on my arrival day in Munich. I am usually jet lagged so I plan activities that don't require too much concentration or planning - something with lots of walking and time outside, a good meal, a couple drinks, then off to bed early for a good sleep. This method gets me on local time pretty quickly - by the morning of day 2, I am pretty well adjusted. I find this esspecially important if I am there for work because I don't have the luxury of a couple jetlagged days.

If you decide to go to Neuschwanstein it will be a really rushed day - it is a couple hours by train to Fuessen, then a short bus or cab ride from Fuessen to Hohenschwangau village. You need to pick up your tour tickets an hour before your tour time and then walk up the hill to the castle - or ride part way. So the day would look something like this: 9am arrival at MUC, luggage stashed at hotel by 10, get to the train station, couple hours on the train, then a bus or cab, getting you to the Hohenschwangau ticket office around 1pm. Assuming a tour time of 2:30, you can probably be back at Fuessen around 4, which means that if the train schedules line up, you would get back to Munich around 6 - back to the airport just in time for your dinner. This assumes that everything goes according to plan and that the train schedules line up well for you - and it doesn't leave time for eating or freshening up anywhere along the way except eating on the train.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM

Another option would be to book a car and drive. Michelin says it's 2 hours from Munich airport to Fussen. You could take your luggage with you and eliminate time to stop at the hotel until you return and also eliminate scheduling problems to connect with train, bus, train, etc. Without those issues, it would be very doable, but certainly more costly.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM

Or you could just go to Hohenschwangau village and see the castle and surroundings without doing the tour of inside. I have done that several times. I love the area.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM

Driving a distance of several hours is an even worse idea upon arrival from an overnight flight with jet lag and everything...

Does your stay include any time to see more of Munich than the airport hotel and the offices of your business partners? If no, use that first day to see a bit of the city.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't do it, unless it's been on your bucket list for so long that the ink is fading and you don't think you'll ever be back. Fussen is a pretty area and is worth spending a couple of days exploring both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau and the surrounds. I would explore Munich instead.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM

Gulch21, I agree with the above posters that a visit to the castle on your day of arrival in Munich would be a stretch to say the least. Another issue is weather. Obviously, you would be locked into that day from what you said. We went to Neuschwanstein in July. On the day we visited it was raining torrents. All we saw were the lower outside walls and the interior (interesting but not extensive for viewing). As we approached we saw no vistas, or the turrets outlined against the mountains, or reflected in the lake. Descending the steep path back to the base was a challenge to say the least (of course, I had slides on which made it more hazardous). But the next day was glorious when we ascended Zugspitze …
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM

I agree, driving for several hours, alone, in a place you've never been, after a long flight is not a good idea.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM

Checking into the Hotel is no problem since it is at the airport. I would check in, buy a day ticket from the front desk (13 euro, I think) and take the train in to Munich (40 min.) and just walk around. Walk thru the English Garten and Victualien Markt, Marienplatz and just take it easy. I know this is not what you asked but just telling you what I would do. After a flight over the pond that is all I'm up to, but I come from the west coast. Have a great trip. I just think that going to Fuessen that day might be too rushed and stressful. CJ