A month in italy

Search

A month in italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A month in italy

We have the opportunity to extended travel and are planning a trip to italy starting in Rome, my DH’s dream destination. We want to see all the sites in Rome, Pompeii and Herculaneum. We are not opposed to taking things slow and easy. So far, we are booked for two weeks in Rome. We figured that with the fast train, and that amount of time, we could take day trips with Rome as our home base. There will always be way too much to see! We thought possibly a couple nights in Naples, then Sorrento. We would like to go north, what are good stopovers on the way to Venice. Seems like Florence and Milan have mixed reviews. Bologna is known for food and bells, Pisa seems like a good day trip, but what is the best northern Italy home base? We will be traveling March 2020. We have done a fair amount of traveling over the years, much the park and walk type in the US, over the pond twice, but in English speaking country, Italy is our first non-efl country to visit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:28 AM

Well you have a luxury of time, but there are more options than time. The first stop should be a guide book so you can pick out what appeals to you the most. Also, flesh out the day trips a bit. While I would love to have two weeks in Rome, I would not love taking lots of long day trips. You might find that a week or so in Rome would satisfy you, allowing you to plan a week elsewhere.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:38 AM
J62

I agree that Florence can get mixed reviews. What's that expression? "it's so crowded nobody goes there anymore"? On the one hand it has a wealth of culture and history so densely packed into a relatively small area that it's hard to turn a corner without encountering another masterpiece of art, architecture, etc. On the other hand there are so many people that visit Florence that it's hard sometimes to even turn the corner....

In March 2020 it's well before peak travel season, and before Easter week so crowds will be much smaller and Florence is well worth a visit.

With a full month consider spending a week or so in a smaller village or even the countryside in Umbria or Tuscany. There are many VRBOs , agriturismo, or similar properties all over that area, and it can be enjoyable to really slow down and just enjoy a few slower days.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:40 AM

<<Seems like Florence and Milan have mixed reviews. Bologna is known for food and bells, Pisa seems like a good day trip, but what is the best northern Italy home base? >>

Well, sure, every place on earth has mixed reviews, doesn't it? I'm not fond of Florence ( ok, it's gorgeous and important but religious art leaves me all twitchy) , but I love Milan. You could find 1000 people to disagree with me, all of them within their rights. Bologna is heaven on earth according to one of my best friends who lived there for a year - it doesn't do much for me at all, except for that ragù. Pisa is a lot more than its stupid tower, but most people don't bother.

There is no "best" northern Italian home base. For me it's Milan or around Lago Maggiore, but for you it might be Bergamo or another lake.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 05:18 PM
kja

I agree that you would do well to consult some good guidebooks. There is SOOoooooo very much to see in Italy that your challenge will be to limit yourselves to just a few areas, and none of us can tell you which you will most enjoy. Too, a good guidebook will tell you all sorts of things you don't even know to ask. Worth every penny, IMO, particularly in comparison to the cost of your trip!

You are fortunate to have a month, but it will go quickly. Given your interests, starting assumptions could be at least a week for Rome and a week for the Amalfi Coast & Naples. And please don't book anything -- including flights -- until you have a better sense of your plans! For flights, you might want open jaw -- into one city and out of another -- and I'm sure many of us are weary of trying to help travelers make plans given constraints that end up making no sense. Many rooms can be booked with just 24-hour cancellation policies -- consult booking.com -- so again, no reason to commit to anything before you have a clearer plan.

Have fun as you work through your options!
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Where Italy is concerned, type A person that I am, I feel like a kid in a candy store. We planned more time in Rome so we could take the time to visit some things more than once if we wanted to and possibly a Wednesday with the Pope. After that we have so much we would like to see and as you scope out stuff, it gets overwhelming. We do have guide books! Religious art is a passion, so again, the kid in the candy store. I directed handbell choirs for many years, thus Bologna; Turin for the shroud, even if you only see a replica; Florence and Milan for all the art; Venice for the bridge of sighs, etc., etc!! If it were later in the season, I’d park myself lakeside with a good book and just zen out! I’ll check out all your ideas, this is probably a one time shot for us, so we appreciate all your suggestions!
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:05 AM

Well put your list together and you have the month sorted! I would pass through Milan but otherwise a stay in each of those places easily fills your time.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 09:45 AM

And I would happily park myself in Milan for a week or more and a Wednesday with the Pope would lead me to drink heavily, so do your homework and figure out what works for you.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:21 AM

Even with fast trains, I personally do not think Rome makes a good base for many day trips, two or three, maybe. A week, even 8 or 9 days if you must, would be plenty for Rome. If it is not already on your list, add the Borghese Gallery. You need tickets ahead. They are timed for two hours. Rather than fight the crowds in one direction, walk straight through, then work you way back.qqqqQ

If you want to see Pompeii and Herculaneum, then do add a day to see a bit of the Amalfi Coast and a day for Naples, so perhaps 4 nights in that area rather than going back and forth from Rome.

You will find religious art everywhere, but since it is a passion, don’t bypass Florence. It is filled with religious art. You won’t be there in peak season, so it will be nice. Don’t miss Santa Croce. Make a list of the paintings you want to see in the Uffizi and/or Piti Palace.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to add to the dilemma, but don't forget there are religious art treasures in smaller towns like Orvieto, Siena, Arezzo, Assisi, Ravenna, Padova, etc.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With your interest in religious art, make sure you visit the Convent of San Marco with Fra Angelico’s frescoes.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

When I said day trips, I meant one or two max. A good transpiration infrastructure is something we do not have where I live. However “four seasons in one day” weather, we understand. Yes some of the smaller towns are of interest, particularly Assisi, Pisa, for much more than its tower, and Turin, does that qualify as a smaller town?