Reload this Page >

A Madrid vs. Barcelona case

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:49 AM
VS

A classic question: if you had to make a choice, would you do Madrid for 2 days or Barcelona for two days? We enjoy walking around and experiencing the culture. Not too crazy about art and galleries etc. Please take a second to cast your vote. Many thanks.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Jean Valjean

If you are not interested in museums, you've just eliminated the only edge that Madrid may have over Barcelona.<BR><BR>Other than the museums, Barcelona is a much more interesting and exciting city.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Joe

Barcelona would be a much better choice. I have also been to Malaga and Marbella, beautiful cities!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Paula

Barcelona gets my vote. A great place to walk around and you don't need to be an art lover to appreciate the Gaudi architecture.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Maggie Bawden

Definitely Barcelona!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Alley

I recently spent 5 nights in Madrid and 4 nights in Barcelona. Visited Toledo and Segovia while in Madrid. However my preference would be Barcelona for sure even though Madrid has much to offer. Tough choice. Have a great time...

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Teresa

Barcelona, by far.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:29 AM
John

Barcelona by a moonshot . . . but if I only had two days and was going to go back to Spain within a few years with more time I would do Madrid and do Barcelona when I had more time on the subsequent trip.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:49 AM
hmm...

Here I go,Madrid feels more Spanish to me, starting off with the language differences.It also has both old and new to offer and nearby trips to Toledo,Segovia,El Escorial,Avila.If you've never been to Spain before,go to Madrid and on subsequent trips,maybe to southern France, then go down to Barcelona.Because of it's location it's so very different from Madrid!That's why the Catalans have toyed with idea of being independant from Spain!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:02 AM
hmm...

Here I go,Madrid feels more Spanish to me, starting off with the language differences.It also has both old and new to offer and nearby trips to Toledo,Segovia,El Escorial,Avila.If you've never been to Spain before,go to Madrid and on subsequent trips,maybe to southern France, then go down to Barcelona.Because of it's location it's so very different from Madrid!That's why the Catalans have toyed with idea of being independant from Spain!

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In October, I visited, Cannes, Monaco, St.Remy, Barcelona, Marbella, Sevilla, Madrid. <BR>Barcelona is like no other city in the world. Go there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:55 AM

I was in Spain last week and stayed in Madrid, Valencia &amp; Barcelona. <BR><BR>Barcelona gets my vote!!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Definitely Barcelona. One of the other posters nailed it when they said that except for museums, Madrid doesn't have much going for it. Barcelona is much more beautiful architecurally, much richer in history, and the people are friendlier.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I've stayed in both cities many times. I find them equally interesting. You can't go wrong with either one. Go to one, then next trip the other.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:49 AM

My vote goes to Barcelona. You must see this vibrant city!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Hi there...I'm in the same dilemma as you. However, I have come up with this solution. Since Barcelona is so far from any of the other &quot;major&quot; sites in Spain (Madrid, Toledo, Seville, etc.), I'm going to go there on this trip. When I come back for my full-fledged trip to Spain and Portugal, I will concentrate on Madrid et al.