Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Agent Recomendations for UK/Ireland Trip Planning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to the UK and Ireland in the summer of 2014. I have a complicated agenda and I am looking for a competent, helpful, not-expensive, travel agent to help with flights, rental car and maybe renting a London self-cater accommodation. Any one know an agent that fits the bill?

Thanks.

TheBookyMOM
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - what you mentioned so far isn't complicated and a TA wouldn't be necessary.

Are there some special issues that are a problem for you?

If you do use a TA, which one greatly depends on where you live . . .
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Competent, helpful travel agents are expensive. The rest may possibly steer you very wrong, the voice of experience. You're better to work it out for yourself or pay a good travel agent. If you don't have the time or inclination to do it yourself it would be false economy, in most cases, to hire a cheap advisor.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

My issue is that I am dealing with 2 kids, 2 seniors and a husband-- all who are going on different portions of the trip at different times and have different expectations for travel. Seniors want first class, hubs has specific flight times and dates based on work issues. I typically do all my own planning (trips to Rome, Spain, Turkey-- all successful.) But planning for all these people is really starting to be a true headache! I think its more that I want an agent to deal with all there demands instead of me! hehehe...
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Good travel agents are not cheap. The bargain ones are really best for getting you packages at Disney - and I would never book travel through an agent who not spend a significant amount of time in the UK and Ireland. Typically the agents handle the more expensive/upscale properties so they get a commission. Is that your budget range?

Also, typically apartment rentals are not handled by travel agents - you either find via the owner or via rental agent.

Since you are going to 2 english-speaking countries making arrangements should be easy unless you have some very significant special issues.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
can the seniors plan their own flight or get it through an agent? one less headache for you.

then what you seem to need is an apartment in London [for 5?] and accommodations in Ireland for - how many? how many places?

add in your hire car in Ireland [presumably not in London], and you have a lot of the trip sorted.

how are you planning to get from the UK to Ireland and/or vv? I can see that that might be problematical.