Search

Travel Agent

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Agent

We are planning a two week trip to England & Scotland in April & have had contact with a travel company in England named Exploring Vacations. I was wondering if anyone had used them &, if so, what had been your experience.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 03:02 AM

Why do you need a travel agent. Have you planned any trip in your life? It is much the same. ;o)
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 03:33 AM

There is an Exploring Vacations in Ireland. Same place?

Why do you feel that you need to book through a Travel Agent?
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 04:11 AM

Some people like to have everything organised for them, with hotels booked, itinerary planned. Nothing wrong with that.

I have no experience of Exploring Vacations. I would look for reviews of the company on Trip Advisor and the like, and if they can offer you a tour you like the look of, for a price you like then go for it if that is the sort of trip you are wanting.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:13 AM

Not many people here use travel agents, but here's a plan that might suit if you don't want a completely do-it-yourself trip:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-hebrides.cfm
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 06:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Never heard of them -- but per their website they have only been in the UK market for a year so that isn't unusual.

I echo the others - is there a reason you want to use a TA or take a tour?

Perhaps if you have good reasons for a tour -- consider Rabbies instead. Theye have been around for decades and are extremely well thought of . . . https://www.rabbies.com
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 02:11 PM
ESW

Are you planning on one of their self drive tours, private guided tour or a coach tour?

What made you choose this company? I must admit I didn't like their website and especially the way an advert for their free guide book kept popping up on every page. This began to look like desperation on their part... Also it is impossible to get a price from the website.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 02:22 PM

totally agree with ESW. No one serious Travel agent is not selling or offering some free guide book on their web site.
And especially about the price - this is strange. I'm for a long time in the business and I can tell you that this could not be some serious Travel agent. It doesn't mean that they are some gimmick, but... not serious, for sure!
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

We will be on our own, no tour. Not being familiar with Great Brittan & in our 70's we didn't want the hassle of trying to book all the places ourselves, therefore some assistance from a source like Exploring Vacations.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Why does age have anything to do with booking accommodations?

I'd want to make those decisions myself.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 11:08 PM

Janis, we already know you are remarkable. Diff'rent strokes, you know.

Don't know them, BHUghes, but we can help if you decide you want to do it independently
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 02:58 AM
ESW

If you are wanting help with Scotland, then have a look at Secret Scotland. The video on this page explains how they work.
http://www.secret-scotland.com/

If you are still determined on a tour, then follow up janisj's suggestion of a Rabbies tour.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything similar for England, but honestly it is very easy. In a week you won't be able to see a lot, so be realistic with your plans. You can book accommodation on the internet so easily and people on the forum will be able to help you with ideas. Choose 2 or at the very most three bases. Most people head for London and you won't need a car here. You could easily spend the full week with day tours to places like Windsor, Hampton Court, Greenwich, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, Salisbury, Canterbury... All are easily reached on the train.

Another popular place to stop is York with its walled medieval town and Minster. This is easy to reach on the train from London. You won't need a car to explore the town itself. Although, you might like to stop in one of the small villages close by and hire a car so you can explore some of the surounding area. The North York Moors are on the doorstep. They are less popular so not as busy as the Yorkshie Dales and have some lovely scenery. There are ruined castles at helmsley and Pickering. Ruined Abbeys at Rievaulx, Byland and Mount Grace. The splendid Castle Howard isn't very far to drive. You might also enjoy Eden Camp on the outskirts of Malton. Built on a Prisoner of War camp, this looks at the social history of World War II. You can also go for a ride behind a staem locomotive on the North York Moors Railway....

We are all here to help you if you take the 'plunge'.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 05:43 AM

>>Janis, we already know you are remarkable. Diff'rent strokes, you know.<<

I didn't ever say not to use a tour -- I said I don't see why <u>age</u> would determine who is best to choose accommodations.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Alzheimer ?
With a tour, you just mustn't forget the first meeting place ;-)
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 12:32 PM
ESW

They say "We will be on our own, no tour." So it looks as if they will be paying Exploring Vacations a lot of money to choose places for them to stay.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

OK, OK! We'll do it on our own. Should we rent a car (outside of London) or do we travel by train to bases & then, if necessary, rent car on local basis. Also, do you have recommendations for reasonably priced hotels for London, York & Edinburgh?
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 08:57 AM
ESW

Renting a car versus train - a lot depends on where your bases are and if you want to do any sightseeing between them.

London to York on the train possibly makes sense as the drive to York isn't that impressive. If you are just basing yourself in York and not wanting to get out into the surrounding countryside then again a car isn't needed as York is vdery compact and everywhere is within reasonable walking distances.

If you are stopping in Edinburgh, you won't need a car there either as public transport in the city is so good and parking very expensive. So travelling from York to Edinburgh by train makes sense, unless you are wanting to explore Durham and Northumberland on the way up. Durham has a marvellous cathedral and castle. There is Hadrian's Wall and Northumberland and the Borders is packed with ruined castles and stately homes, as well as superb scenery. There is also Lindisfarne, Holy Island reached by causeway BUT you wil have to check crossing times against your itinerary dates. The causeway is only open a few hours either side of low tide and don't risk trying to cross outside these times.The tide comes in very quickly and salt water won't do the car any good...

BUT if you are stopping outside Edinburgh them a car would be useful to get around.

Accommodation in York - not knowing what you mean by 'reasonably priced' one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in is the Dean Court Hotel which is opposite the Minster.
http://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/b...urt-hotel-york

If you are wanting something cheaper then there are the chains like Travelodge or Premier Inn.

Alternatively you may want to think about stopping outside York and stopping in one of the small villages and town on the edge of the North York Moors.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree that stopping off in Durham between York and Edinburgh is a good idea. When I did it I rented a car for a couple of days and spent a night in a B&B (now closed) near Hadrian's Wall, and several hours at the Beamish Open Air Museum. I rented the car - an automatic - from Enterprise, which picked me up and dropped me off at the train station.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 12:29 PM
ESW

If you want a B&B for Hadrian's Wall, we can recommend Hall Meadows in Haltwhistle. Prices are very reasonable too.
http://www.accommodationinhaltwhistle.co.uk/
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 01:49 PM
ESW

This thread seems to have got lost. You may do better by starting a new thread and asking about ideas for reasonably priced hotels in London, York and Edinburgh - and please tell us what your budget is as reasonably priced can mean different things to different people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -