Working with Travel Agent

Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working with Travel Agent

My husband and I have never used a travel agent before (aside from work travel) and have generally been happy and excited to plan our own travel. However, now that we have kids, we don't have the time to do lots of travel planning so we're considering using a travel agent. We don't want to do group tours but are mainly interested in having someone help plan a rough agenda for us, book hotels, car rentals/car services, etc. Does it make sense to work with local travel agents in the country we plan to visit, realizing we'd have to find new agents each trip or should we find a US-based agent and work with them on an on-going basis?

Any advice or tips are appreciated! Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM

We use a US based Travel Agent who has helped us plan several trips all over the world. He's associated with Virtuoso Travel (a world wide association of over 7200 agents in 20 countries) and calls upon "experts" in the different countries we visited to help plan itineraries. He's helped put together some very special and detailed trips for us.

A god travel agent gets to know you, your likes and dislikes and can tailor a trip to meet your specific needs.

Now, we make basic travel plans such as trips to see relatives and shot vacations to places we are familiar with , on our own but when we want something special, including trips to new countries or complex trips that include numerous travel legs, private tours, speciality hotels/resorts, etc then we definitely use our Travel Agent.

So, check around and find yourself a professional TA who does more than just book hotels.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM

Sounds to me like a TA shill. Only post, period.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because Fodor's is a website specifically designed for and frequented mostly by self-planners, you don't usually get much feedback about the "using a travel agent" type questions.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:39 AM

To me, SnappyGo looks like a nice in-between a full-service travel agent and doing it yourself. I believe it's fairly new and I've never tried it myself, though. http://snappygo.com/

Mike...