Search

Prague hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague hotels

I've visited a few CZ sites but can't determine what makes a good location for a hotel in Prague. Any suggestions? I guess in or near the old town, as we want to do some exploring in that area on this, our first, trip to Prague. We're going over spring break and will plan to spend about 3-4 days.

Would like a hotel with a parking garage and full bathroom facilities IN room, not down the hall. I've looked at 3, 4, and 5 star listings and can't decide! If you've been to Prague, what might you recommend? Price, I would guess up to about $250/night.
Thanks a bunch.
Carol
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Stayed in Casa Marcello March last year. They had promo rate of $120 room. Rooms are nice and the place very pleasant and charming. Surrounding area really gives you a feel of "prague" with cobblestone streets and old european buldings around. I think it's still part of old town area. Walk to old town square was 5 to 10 minutes. There's a boutique hotel nearby that you might want to check out. It's the first ultra modern hotel in Prague. Hotel Josef. Opened right before flooding in 2002. Last year they had promo rate of $150.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Purplefish. Do you recall if the Casa Marcello has parking? We will have a rental car and that will be of concern.
Thanks.
Carol
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Pensione Dientzenhoefer

http://www.hotels-of-prague.com/dientzenhoefer/
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
ira

PS
They have parking.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:37 AM

I am sure there are lovely traditional Czech hotels in Prague, however I stayed at the Marriott and got a free upgrade to the Excecutive floor.
It was gorgeous. I know where I will stay next time.

Muck
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
rex

I have repeated myself more than once lately with this, but I recommend your considering www.athos.cz - - very responsive and you can chat real time with an agent via ICQ if you wish.

We were very happy with our decision for the apartments on Zatec this past May.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM

These guys have a good selection. Just enter your dates etc. and it'll bring you onto a map showing all accommodation by price on the map. Anywhere in Prague 1 or 2 should be fine.
http://www.rentinprague.com/
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I did look at the Casa Marcello's web site. It is available for our dates, but I did not book yet. May look a little bit more. Have not decided yet. But I appreciate all the information. Now, I'm off to www.athos.cz to see what they have!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM

We stayed just behind the Old Town square in December as we wanted to be centrally located.
We stayed in Metamorphis Hotel, don't know about parking but we booked through www.travelcook.com. They have a good selection of hotels and were excellent to deal with. They were very helpful with suggestions and replied to e-mails almost immediately.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:13 PM

I stay at the Maximilian which is across the square from the Marcello and like it very much. It's a 4* and could be close to $250 in peak season nowadays as it's gotten very popular. I like that area a lot, it is definitely Old Town but in the Jewish Quarter area -- that's only a short walk away from the main center as purplefish noted. I didn't think it has parking nor that hardly any hotels will in Old Town (except the big boxes) but I guess you can check their web site on that item.

I think getting parking is going to be the big limitation. If you find a 5* hotel for $250, why not. There will be a big difference in a typical 3* Prague hotel and a 5*, that's for sure.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Sorry to cut in simpsonc510 on your post but was also wondering on where to stay. Our son is studying in Prague this semester and is on the other side of the river closer to the Castle. When looking at the various travel books I cannot decide if it would be better for us to stay closer to a metro stop/public transportation area( as I have a bad knee and cannot walk my usual miles of sightseeing)or be over near the Castle. I have a reservation at the Best Western KAMPA and have some concerns about how close it is for the metro,etc.We would need a triple room so if anyone has had luck with a larger size room that is under 150 Euros for the end of March-I would be most grateful!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:53 PM

Makr that 150 dollars as I know that the Czech Republic does not use them. Sorry!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Whilst you are by the castle, be sure to visit the pub called 3 black roses.
U 3 Cernych ruzi
Zamecka 05
Praha 01 mala STRANA
(sorry about the lack of accents over the letters)
Great little pub with good food.

Muck
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM

simpsonc510 - We didn't have a car while we were in prague. Everything was within walking distance. We never even got to use the metro/tram. We even walked all the way up to prague castle and back to hotel. And we're not athletic or fit at all. Very small city and the sites are contained in a very small area. I think a car would only make sense if you plan to get out into the suburbs for the most part of your trip. I suggest you do all the city sights without renting a car. When you do plan to travel outside of the city center then you can choose to hire a car/driver or taxi.