Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A free night between Perugia and Rome, going by train: Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This June, after 4 days in Venice (mosaic course), 4 nights in Impruneta, outside Florence (relax), and 3 nights in Perugia as the Umbrian base, a travel friend and I head to Rome, my friend to meet up with others, me on my own. I'd like to stop off one more night in a town to see on my own before my last two nights in Rome (Trastavere). i was thinking Orvieto, but am open to other ideas. Traveling by train and as I've said, on my own for this day/night. I'm pretty fit, like the idea of a small or hill town, will have seen my share of museums, so charm, views, a good cafe for solo diner, and the like would fit the bill. Idea?
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I have been to Orvieto at least 5 times since 1988, and I never tire of it. Especially if you can stay overnight and avoid the weekends. It's just a gem of a town, imo...
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM

Hello annw, like LucieV I love Orvieto also and it was the first place that came to mind when I read the title of your thread.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM

Orvieto or Spoleto. Both are interesting small towns.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM

Orvieto.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like Orvieto is winning! Does anyone have favorite sights, lodging, or dining for one overnight? I have Fodors and Eyewitness guides but welcome recommendations. I'm browsing as many posts as I can find too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM

Probably Orvieto is winning because it has its unique cathedral, one of the greatest cathedral facades in Europe, and perhaps Italy's loveliest. It is also famous for its white wine, so be sure to have a meal there that favors it. A lot of recommendations I see for Orvieto restaurants from tourists have menus that don't much reflect the local ingredients. You might find this interesting:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/612764
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM

By the way, I hope you'll come back and post about your stay in Impruneta, which is a town I keep hoping to visit. I quite love terracotta. And your mosaic course in Venezia sounds like just the perfect framework for a stay there. I hope you will be visiting Torcello if you haven't already -- and do you have time for a day trip to Ravenna? You will enjoy the mosaics on the facade of Orvieto's duomo, and the stunning mosaics in Santa Maria in Trastevere.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Zeppole, I've stayed in Impruneta before and love it. We stay in Villa L'Olmo, which is a Relais property, and have met the owner and manager. In fact a friend and I thought about buying and restoring a part of an adjacent farmhouse until the Euro went through the roof.

This property is right on the bus route into Florence, which is 9 miles away, but the town itself is enjoyable, and there are wonderful restaurants all within walking distance, as well as a CO-OP for groceries. It's been 3-4 years so I will give you an update after this trip. The place we stay has different "units" of 2 or 3 bedrooms, many of which have gorgeous valley views, olive groves, etc.

As to mosaics, I went to Ravenna last year, on a trip with my 4 sisters (!) and we loved it. I almost took a mosaic course there instead, but since I love Venice this seemed a way to enjoy Venice and Locanda Orseolo while also getting my hands into the mosaic work. Thanks so much for your interest and comments. And I'm now looking forward to the mosaics in Orvieto and Rome as well!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Orvieto also has an underground aspect - the pile of lava is apparently a warren of tunnels excavated throughout the centuries and tours thru them are popular.

Some folks say that Orvieto is like a House of Cards - so many tunnels it could collapse - that apparently is not true however. But still if the earthquake that shook l'Aquila had struck here....

Orvieto is not only as fine as any other town between Perugia and Rome but being smack on a main rail line easy as well - a funicular links the train station to the old town high up on the lava plug. Most Perugia-Rome faster trains may not stop here but many locals do.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I had been having a few heebee jeebee thoughts about the earthquakes, PQ, but (as with living in the SF area) I guess I am going to have to make my peace with the risk. I've been reading about the tunnels in the Eyewitness Guide for Umbria.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

And yes Zeppole I've been to Torcello twice at least; loved seeing the basilica, and enjoy the "backwater" feel to it as well as the views of the lagoon from the tower.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to report back, but I did indeed stay in Orvieto! My lodging was at the Duomo Hotel, adjacent to the Duomo. Had a nice lunch at a cafe in town and then dinner in view of the Duomo, at a place called Vinosus, recommended by the hotel. Walking around town was just right and of course the Duomo is spectacular. I even enjoyed a bit of shopping, which wasn't my priority but I got lucky with a handcrafted coin bag and lemon-motif pottery. I also took a photo of a store front (complete with boar's head) and the 8x10 now decorates my office.

In Impruneta we ended up at Villa Monteoriolo, a gorgeous place, sharing a 4 br unit among the three of us in our own rooms, with kitchen, living area, pool access.

Venice was fabulous as always with the mosaic course at Orsoni Foundry and staying at Locanda Orseolo.

The place in Trastevere was a hip apartment style b&b and the restaurants in the area were wonderful.

No complaints!

Thanks again everyone for the advice and comments.