A december day in Venice

Search

A december day in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A december day in Venice

I'm thinking about a last minute (early december) trip to northern italy - see some christmas markets. The trip includes a day in venice and a day in trento.

Does anyone have any views/suggestions on whether december is a good time to visit these places (I note from other posts the general view is that venice is nice in december - quiet can be rainy - as long as you're prepared!).

Also I would be on my own - (although part of a coach trip) - is it fairly 'safe' for a female walking around (sticking to the main parts) for a few hours?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Hi Loopy - I often spend 1/2 weeks in northern Italy in December (- usually in the Dolomites). It's a great time to visit in the run-up to Xmas.

The Christmas markets of the Alto Adige/ South Tyrol area are a big draw and attract visitors from all over Italy.

Bolzano, Merano and Trento markets are all busy - especially at weekends and around 8 Dec (- public holiday).

It's also nice to visit Venice - and other towns of the Veneto - at this time.

If you have time, make time for the Dolomites! It's a beautiful time to visit with the first snow, the start of the ski-season and the lifts open (- but not busy). Not to be missed

Is it fairly safe? Absolutely
(The only risk is potential pickpockets in crowded markets ...)

Steve
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM

If you have never been to Venice, I urge you to spend your day there.
You will have the advantage of not having to deal with the summer and early autumn crowds.
The following one-day itinerary for Venice appeared long ago in the Fodor’s Europe message forum written by Venice expert Paulo and annotated here by me: "At that time I already knew Venice very well, so I didn't exactly do what 9 out of 10 daytrippers to Venice do: to take #1 vaporetto from the Ferrovia (train station) to San Marco ... Instead, we started our stroll right at the train station. We crossed the bridge over the Grand Canal, strolled through the Sestiere of San Polo, to Campo S. Giacomo dell'Orio and on to Campo San Polo, visiting both churches on the way.
(elaine’s note: The San Polo church has some masterpieces by Tiepolo, Veronese, and Tintoretto.This campo is the second biggest square in Venice. Once home to bullfights and carnivals.) From there, a stroll to Campo dei Frari (church visit) and Scuola San Rocco (visit). (elaine’s note: I would skip the Scuola San Rocco, despite the Tintoretto treasures, in fact, I would, reluctantly, not visit any museums if I only had one day in Venice.)Then on to Dorsoduro, via Campo San Pantalon,Campo Santa Margherita (snack lunch), Campo San Barnaba to the Accademia Museum (no visit), across the Accademia bridge and into the sestiere of San Marco. (elaine’s note: Before crossing the Accademia Bridge, and depending on the time you have, I would walk farther south into Dorsoduro to visit the Salute Church. Or skip it, wander a bit, and head back to the Accademia Bridge.)
When we got to see the Piazza and Basilica it was almost 3pm!!! (elaine’s note: if you have time, by all means go to visit the inside of the Basilica and/or the Doge’s Palace in the Piazza.) We got to visit the Basilica, rested and had drinks/coffees at Cafe Florian and went for some shopping. In the evening, we took vaporetto #1 back to the train station." (elaine's note: the gelati, snacks and drinks at Florian's or at Quadri on the Piazza are not cheap, and there is an extra charge when the band is playing (if they do in December), but you just can't not do this at least once.

There is another, more detailed, one-day itinerary for Venice (with a small map) included in Steinbicker’s excellent book Daytrips Italy. Many guidebooks also have suggestions; also check here at fodors under Destinations for itinerary suggestions.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Safety is not worth thinking about in Venice - you're safer than in your own living room there, and not only in the "main parts", even in the remotest & loneliest lane at 3.30 am. (Steve, you're right about the pickpockets - but NOT in December. No pickpocket would bother coming to Venice in that season - there are simply no tourists, i.e. no targets. And the pickpockets are all coming from outside; the city herself has none.)

As far as Christmas markets, this could be a problem in "early December", depending on your precise travel dates. The Christmas market of Venice starts the second weekend in Advent only. It's on Campo S. Stefano, and it's great - I highly recommend it for everybody who is able and willing to bring home PLENTY of gorgeous food. It's essentially a food market, with rare specialties from different regions all over Italy, sausages, cheese, sweets and so on. Wonderful and great, great fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies and advice - I think it's virtually confirmed to me that I am going to go. Although I'm sure one day each is far far too short to spend in either venice, trento or around the dolomites I think it should give me a good 'taster' of what its like and encourage me to spend longer there next time!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM

Hi Franco - Well, I've learned something new again from you - I never even knew Venice had a Christmas market

I know the Bolzano market is 'popular' with pickpockets on busy weekends. But it's still one of the best ...

Loopy - if you're in the Bolzano area, head up to Val Gardena or the Alpe di Siusi area for a cablecar ride. You won't be disappointed ...

Steve
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:53 AM

I usually visited Venice just before the start of Chrsitmas market where people were starting to set up stands, end of November but finally in 2005, I went there when the market was open. Don't expect a huge one. There might have been maximum 30/40 stands. About 1/4 are for local or Italian food (ham and cheese)and wine. I did't find it " gorgeous" as franco described. Perhaps I would'nt plan to visit Venice because of the Xmas market but since I was there already, it sure was fun. Buy a hot wine at a stand and listen to the choir. They set up a stage at one side for the performances.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:56 AM

Sorry Franco didn't say "Gorgeous" about the market but he said about the food.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thought I'd provide an update - I am going on the trip so thanks for the advice and suggestions. Looking forward to it but know it's far too short to really appreciate the places - but at least it means I just have to go again sometime!