Search

A day at the Beach in Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Hez
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day at the Beach in Cinque Terre

We've rented a house about 30 minutes from La Spezia. There are 4 adults and 3 teens.

One day we would like to explore CT - a few of us would like to hike, we would all like some time at the beach, and awesome food & hopefully a great gelato will happen as well.

FYI - we have a full day catamaran tour of CT booked earlier in the week so we will see some of the towns from the water.

I was wondering what the best itinerary is for the day for both those who just want to check things out and hang at the beach, and also those who want to hike.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks,
H
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM

First-time hikers visiting the Cinque Terre usually hike from Riomaggiore to Monterosso (or in the opposite direction) through Manarola, Corniglia, and Vernazza. The segments between Corniglia and Vernazza and between Vernazza and Monterosso are the hardest hikes, maybe 2-3 hours each give or take, not terribly difficult but not easy. I did those two on separate days but experienced hikers (which I wasn't) would be able to do all of the hikes in one day.

But, hikers need to check before arrival which trails are actually open. It appears that the easiest hike between Riomaggiore and Manarola (called the "Via dell'Amore") will be closed througout 2013 but that the rest of the trails should be open by mid-June. Slides and closures can happen unexpectedly, so they'll have to check near when you arrive. If they are serious hikers, there are other trails besides the direct trails between towns (the ones most tourists would use) they could hike instead.

I didn't do any beach time in the Cinque Terre, but it looked like most of the beach action was in Monterosso (or Levanto).
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
For the best gelato in all of CT, you must go to Manarola. There are other places to get gelato in Manarola, but they don't compare to this place. Accept nothing less.

5 Terre Gelateria
Via Discovolo 229
19017 Manarola

As for "beach time" -- if you don't care about sand and shore, and if you prefer not being surrounded by a lot of people, a really nice place to hang out in the water (and actually swim!) is also at Manarola. Sort of like a swimming hole, protected, not crowded, delicious. Walk down to the end of Via Discovolo (towards the sea), just past Hotel Marina Piccola.

http://longlonglongweekend.files.wor...t-manarola.jpg
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Hez
Original Poster

Thanks! We'll definitely check out that Gelateria!
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM

Monterosso's beach is ubiquitously listed as one of the top beaches in Europe - a wide sandy beach as opposed to rocky ones typical in the Cinque Terre. Plop down there and let the others hike!
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM

The beach in Monterossso is the best in Cinque Terre but that isn't saying a whole lot as there aren't really many beaches in CT. As for being one of the best beaches in Europe, not nearly. If you want to hang out at a beach, Monterosso is the place to go.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Hez
Original Poster

Thanks! Monterosso looks perfect!
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...=1600&bih=1049

No I agree not one of best beaches in Europe but nice - I was surprised when I saw it ranked on some lists as one of Europe's finest beaches.