A 5* Hotel That No One Has Heard Of?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked at the Iron Gate Hotel in Prague. Apparently this is a 5* hotel but I am getting no responses from Fodorites about this place. Could it be that no one knows about it?? HELP!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM

There are few reviews on TripAdvisor:

<b>http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274707-d483647-Reviews-Iron_Gate_Hotel-Prague_Bohemia.html</b>

There is also a Golden Gate Suites hotel that gets great reviews.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did read those reviews and they were very helpful. Does anyone else know this place? I'm dying to hear from a fodorite who has stayed there.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM

The hotel just opened about a year ago. Not that many people on Fodors stay in 5* hotels in Prague, so the odds that someone has stayed in that particular 5* hotel within the last year and is posting on here to see your query are probably not high. I read a review elsewhere (not Tripadvisor) that says it was nice, but perhaps not what you expect from one of the most expensive hotels in Prague (ie, soft beds, sparse furnishings).
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM
rex

It's unfortunate that so many readers on this forum - - interested in hotels <i><b>in Prague</b></i> - - will have no idea to look at this thread.

And on the flip side, many readers will be enticed to click on this post... and then find that it's about <i><b>Prague</b></i> and have a small shudder of frustration... thinking &quot;oh, I wish the OP would have identified this question as pertaining to Prague - - I wouldn't have bothered to open it&quot; (remember... countless visitors to this forum are first-timers, or planning a first-time trip, and they are generally seeking specific information on Paris or Venice or Santorini or the Algarve or wherever).

I urge <i>nrpsydoc</i> to re-post this question and mention <i><b>Prague</b></i> in the message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:16 AM

I can appreciate Rex's continuing frustration with so-called &quot;vague&quot; message headers but in this particular case I think Christina is absolutely correct in saying that not many who post here stay in 5* hotels.

If this one doesn't work out for you I recommend you at least consider the Hotel Savoy.

One reason a lot of people (here) don;t stay there is because it is slightly off the &quot;beaten path&quot; i.e, stuck right in the middle of everything. The Savoy is, however, very much a luxury property and the tram line is, literally, right outside the front door..three stops to the center of things. And from this place you can easily walk to the castle complex, the Loretto, etc.

Just a thought..the place is pricey but worth it IMO but hopefully your original idea will pan out.

Enjoy Prague regardless.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will definitely re-post this with Prague in the title. Good idea. I have to say that the price of this hotel is awfully good to be 5* and perhaps this is what is making me wonder about it. I did read reviews on tripadvisor and some said that it really shouldn't be rated 5*. This is why I'd love to get some input from fodorites. Price is good and it is a suite hotel- 2 very appealing things about it.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Voyager2006. Are you saying that the Iron Gate is off the beaten track? Is it in an isolated sort of area? Perhaps more unsafe than in the center of things?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:19 AM

no, voyager was saying that the Savoy is off the beaten track. The Iron Gate is dead central, being right off Old Town Square (or right in it, from what I can tell from reading). The Savoy is supposed to be a very nice hotel but is up near the Castle, so not within easy walking distance of things as a hotel near the Old Town Square, and there isn't a metro stop of there, either.

That soft bed thing I read may not mean they are old and saggy, and could be a good thing, actually -- some hotels in certain countries have a penchant for mattresses as hard as rocks (Mexico, for example), even in really nice hotels. I had one that one in a top hotel in Krakow, also, and I mean so hard it was like sleeping on the floor.

There are more and more grand hotels in Prague, so many more to choose from than there were 10 years ago. My impressions are totally third hand from what I've read about it, but I'd stay somewhere else for that money, I think. Like maybe Grand Hotel Bohemia or Paris, although I'm not sure they are 5*. Maybe the Four Seasons.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

The Iron Gate is a suite hotel and for that reason it is good for us (family of 4). Sleeps four comfortably. I would have preferred a Four Seasons kind of thing but then I'd have to get two rooms-- too pricey for us. Any other suggestions given the situation? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Two rooms in a slightly lesser hotel would almost certainly give you more living space, and definitely two bathrooms, if that is something to consider.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I take back the bit about the living space, as I just realized you are considering a suite and I have no idea what the dimensions are. But does it have two bathrooms?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

One bathroom only in the suite, Elaine.
I'm looking into the Grand Hotel Bohemia and the paris hotel at christina's suggestion. They look so nice on the net. I'm trying to find out if they accomodate a family of 4 in any of their suites and what the price is.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM

<b>http://prague-stay.com/</b>
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM

How dare you state that no one at Fodor's has heard of the Iron Gate Hotel!!!!! Of course many of us have heard of it. Would you please give the MEMBERS OF THE INNER CIRCLE time to respond? Sheeeeeeeesh. You should thank Gucci that some of us globetrotters take time from our busy schedules and pedicures to come here and answer your daft questions. You owe us an apology. I am WAITING, sweetie.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I guess I didn't know you had a family of 4 and were getting a suite. It could well be a good idea for you in that case. The two hotels I mentioned are just ones that have style, are considered some of the best in Prague, and I know their location which I like a lot. They are very convenient (near the Namesti Republicky metro stop and the Municipal House).
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM

thread reposted and continues here
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34693063
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Christina, I'mm waiting to hear back fromm the 2 hotels you mentioned.m
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

FYI-- The Paris Hotel and the Grand Hotel Bohemia both do not have any accomodations for a family of 4. They are offering me two rooms, close by or connected, but this is too pricey for us even with waht they call a special discount. Iron Gate is 220 per night for the suite. Paris Hotel is 190 per room per night. Waiting to hear from Bohemian with price.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Both the Paris and the Grand Bohemian with two rooms are too pricey. So far it seems that the Iron Gate may be best. Aside from the Golden Gate, anyone know of any other wonderful suite hotels in Prague??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -