Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

90 kids, multiple countries, 3 weeks; by bus

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:05 AM
Kelly

I know many of you are far more savvy travelers than I, and in a league of your own. However, I will do whatever it takes to find an affordable trip to Europe. This summer I'm looking forward to chaperoning a large group of kids on a European tour. We will be doing considerable travel by bus - even overnight. What are your experiences with travel pillows - you know, the "C" shaped ones that if worn in reverse may choke you off? Do they really help the neck? My neck gets messed up easily with long travels. If you have found a brand with which you are satisfied, could you please give me a suggestion? <BR>(Any other general sanity recommendations are also welcome.)

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Keith Legg

Urgh! I hate travelling by bus - even though I have done it several times!<BR><BR>I can't say I've ever found the travel pillows alone to be any good. What I would suggest is taking a proper pillow with you and grabbing a window seat - preferably the one right beside the door at the front, there's more legroom. Put the pillow on the window, recline your seat (if you can) and put the travel pillow around your neck - this should be more comfortable. Also, if you can, take a sleeping bag (or at the least a blanket) on the coach with you.<BR><BR>Since you also have a large number of kids with you, I'd also suggest taking a walkman / CD player and as wide a variety of tapes or CDs as you can carry. You will need them!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
s.fowler

Keith's advice is good. <BR>I'd also add to take a light shawl to use as a blanket if the AC gets over welcoming [If you have AC] I have a very fake "pashmina" that takes up about as much space as a light-weight sweater and is a good replacement for those totally yucky airline blankets.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:06 AM
nosleepforyou

Don't forget the motion sickness pills for the kids that DO forget the motion sickness pills, a HUGE bottle of exedrin, and ear plugs.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Ronda

I really like the inexpensive blow up C shaped pillows. They don't take up much space, I can inflate them to my liking, and they save my neck. I have never been able to sleep leaning on a window.<BR><BR>Ear plugs are a good suggestion especially if you are sleeping in inexpensive hotels.<BR><BR>Traveling with that many kids, sickness is sure to be going around. Take some extra stuff like chewable pepto tablets, etc.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Kelly

Thanks for the suggestion of the shawl or blanket. I hate AC and would never have thought about that. I can't sleep against a window either and chaperones have to take aisle seats. I may try the blow up pillow - compact. Any idea on where to find a blow up pillow? I've only seen the shaped ones. I am in charge of the med kit and believe me, I'll be sure to have some dramamine and pepto on hand!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Erin

Kelly: try www.magellans.com or www.travelsmith.com for travel pillows...

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:56 PM
Jane

I second (third?) the inflatable pillow idea.<BR><BR>We bought ours at J.C. Penney, in the luggage department. I've also seen them at many camping/sporting goods stores.<BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
Randy

Yes, take extra medicine with you. I was gald I a few cold tablets with me when I was in Paris last year. You just can't go in any store in France to buy a cold tablet. Take them with you.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
bussing

Try to talk the driver into helping you buy cases of water,not soda.I would also strongly suggest you take a can of air freshener w/you,especially if there is that dreadful toilet in the back!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Ronda

I bought my pillow at Longs and I also saw them at Mervyns.<BR><BR>With that number of kids (assuming some are girls) sanitary supplies would come in handy as well. I'm sure you thought of that already. When I was in Spain and needed to buy more sanitary supplies, I took some I brought with me to show the girls at the pharmacy. Saved me!