Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

9.5 hours in Detroit? Thanks a lot, NWA!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last January I booked tickets on NWA through Destination Europe (Autoeurope/1800 FlyEurope) for 5 people participating in my group trip to France. They were scheduled to leave Asheville, NC at 4:20 pm, have about a 2 hour layover in Detroit and fly out that night at 9:15 pm and arrive CDG the next morning at 11:20 am. Not too bad.

Today I got a phone call from Destination Europe saying that their schedule had been changed. It seems that NWA has canceled the afternoon flight from Asheville to Detroit and they are now on a flight that leaves at 9:00 am. And the flight to Paris leaves at 9:25 pm.- so 9.5+ hours in the Detroit airport!

The first person I spoke with at Destination Europe said that their only choices were to take the flight offered (there is no later flight AVL-DTW on that date) or cancel and rebook at current prices which would be at least $100 more.

When I called back later, the second person said that they might be able to change the date or the departure airport (they might be able to drive to Charlotte or somewhere else nearby) and offered to contact NWA to ask but only after I could tell him what they wanted to do.

My question is what are their rights in this situation and would it do any good to call NWA directly rather than going through Destination Europe? What would you do? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Although NWA doesn't have the best customer service, I'd go directly to them. They are the ones who changed the flights. My guess is you'd be better off than going through an intermediary.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure NWA canceled the flight? You didn't give a date so we can't check it out. It's possible that Destination Europe is to blame. What's the date?
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I entered some random May date on NWA and there were two daily flights, one at 9 am and the other at 4 pm.

It's possible Destination Europe got a cheaper rate for the bad connections and decided to book them.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Not that this change of schedule isn't an irritant (especially since you're travelling with a group), but I gotta' say it beats having a delay on the previously scheduled 4:20 that would cause you to miss the all-important connection from Detroit to CDG. In other words - better 9+ hours early than one minute too late. We've had this happen - a last minute schedule change - a few times, courtesy of USAir; and so rather than gamble on a flight that allows about 1-1/2 hours to make the connection in Philadelphia (the worst airport in the country as far as I'm concerned - more delays, more overcrowding and less ways to spend the time than O'Hare, Kennedy or Hartsfield), now we book a flight earlier in the day that gives us about 6 hours to cool our heels there. We've spent time in the airline's club, did a lot of reading, had early dinner in the one decent restautant there ("Cibo&quot, etc. etc. Not the optimum situation but we're very rested, not at all tense, when we finally board for Rome. As for Detroit, I believe the terminal there is brand spanking new so it may have enough distractions - shopping, restaurants, etc. - to help pass the time.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far, folks.

To kybourbon, yes, I did check the NWA website and it only shows the 9:00 am departure on May 17 and May 18. There is an afternoon flight out of Charlotte on May 18 that would connect with the DTW-CDG flight, but I don't know if they would put my friends on that one without an extra charge.

To threegigs, I understand what you are saying and agree with you, but it is irritating even so. It really seems like "bait and switch" when you choose a flight based partially on the schedule, pay for it and are then told it's been changed. And you can't do anything about it without paying more!

I'm going to talk to my friends tomorrow and see what they think. They may not be as upset about it as I am. Then I'll either call back the guy at DE or call NWA.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM

This can happen with any airline, no matter by what means you book the flight, and many people have reported similar stories. They do give you the option of a refund, as unsatisfactory as that may be.

I would just take a tour of Detroit, even if it's not anyone's favorite city, because I'm sure there's something to see there. You aren't having to get up terribly early, or arrive terribly late, so it will be fine.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM

It's also possible that the flights will reappear. I can't imagine this one weekend being canceled since there are still many listed on this route 2x a day. Did you actually have reservations for the original flights (as in NWA ticket locator numbers)? If so, I would be dealing direct with NWA, letting them know the schedule change doesn't work and what can they do to reroute you. Try reposting on the airline forum as there are some flight experts there.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Sallygirl42

NWA is seriously the worst. I once missed a connecting flight in MSP and had to spend at least 8 hours there. The reason I missed my 45-minute connection? NWA no longer feeds their pilots a meal and we departed 30 minutes late so that the crew could get food. I know that the crew needs to eat, but they also have a responsibility to get us to our destination on time, and I'm not sure why some kind of tag-team wasn't possible. (Including bad weather, we arrived so late that the rental car counter had closed, and I had to take a $30 cab to my hotel)

You definitely need to contact NWA directly. They know that their scheduling sucks and they usually will not rebook you on another airline, but in this case I think you have an argument. Stay on their butts as nicely as possible and see what you can do.

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I think this is part of air travel - you don't always get what you want. Also, I would see 9 hours in Detroit as an opportunity. They have an excellent art museum - the Diego Rivera mural is amazing.

There is also the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village. If you are looking for something to make you forget how evil Northwest Airlines is, go see the chair Lincoln was sitting in at Ford's theater or the limo Kennedy was riding in in Dallas. After considering the fate of Lincoln and Kennedy, a 9 hour layover in Detroit may seem like a piece of cake!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Sshepard has a good attitude.

The passengers have little recourse these days. NW is not the only one that changes schedule ... usually to their advantage.

Similar thing happened to me with UA. I had a choice of booking

choice 1: from A to B
or
choice 2: from A to C then to B

The choice 1 was more expensive but I chose to pay the premium for the convenience of a shorter flight.

But alas, UA cancelled choice 1 and rebooked me on choice 2. UA kept my premium price I already paid. UA's response, "Sorry, there is no other flight available."

Few WEEKs later, UA reinstated "choice 1" under different flight number with just few minutes difference. UA would not put me on the "reinstated" flight -- it was already "full."
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM

No matter how much you plan and find the perfect flight, the plan always seems to change.

Luckily you have notice far in advance. Find the right person at the airline to help you.

I got a phone call at 3am the day I was leaving that my flight from NH to Philly was cancelled. No one was helpful. USAir said it was bad weather. They blew me off and told me to go to the airport to talk to someone.

I couldn't wait, so I booked a flight from NH to Philly on a different airline. There were no weahter problems anywhere. They were just trying to save money I think.

I then went to the airport and talked to USAir rep. She couldn't make a plane appear, but she made sure all my connections would be okay from Philly and told me how to apply for my refund.

Try a face to face at the airport and see what they can do there. Much nicer than a faceless employee on the phone.

Good luck!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Similar thing happened to my mom on American. I was scheduled on a Sept. flight that NWA cancelled and got a call from them in June to tell me about it. They were great about rerouting both me and husband (one was frequent flier, so a different reservation), through Paris instead of Amsterdam, at no extra charge. I say give them a chance to help you out before writing them off.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'll give NWA a call tomorrow and see what they can/will do for us.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Can't say I can offer much advice about the situation, but as a Detroiter and a frequent flier, I can tell you the McNamera terminal in Detroit is beautiful. There is lots of shopping and dining options, and there is even a spa. And if it truly ends up being a 9 hour layover, The Henry Ford (as it now called) and Greenfield Village is really only about 15 minutes away (I used to work across the street.) There is the museum and the Village and if they are at all interested in history, they can easily spend the day there. I would just make sure you get a phone number for a taxi, taxis are not the easiest thing to be had in Detroit. Hope that helps. (And if you lean to the art route, the Detroit Institute of Arts was just remodeled and reopened in Nov, it's morelike 20-30 minutes away - in downtown-- and again, caution on the taxi situation.)
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM

I would also vote for Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum. very close.

(Jonesie, did you work at the PDC ?)

Another option is Ann Arbor - a bit further away, but a fun college town... could easily spend an afternoon there.

I'm also of the 'I'd MUCH rather arrive early and control my own destiny' mindset. We once had a 9+ hr layover from Dulles so took a cab to Georgetown for a nice lunch. Also makes the overnight flight easier since you are good and tired.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM

As a side bar to the NWA issue... This airline is notorious for stranding passengers. I was on a NWA flight from SF to Manila via Narita in 2001 when due to light snow the plan was delayed on a side runway fully loaded (300+ people) from 6:30pm until 8:00am. (13.5 hours). Unbelievably, the pilots/crew left at about 10:00pm for hotels and left the passengers to fend for themselves in a locked 747!! The toilets backed up, all the food the drink ran out about 1:00am, and everything got ugly about 4:00am. In the morning when the Japanese ground staff pushed the plan back to the gate NWA gave up `a letter apologising for the mistake and gave us a $400 voucher to fly them again! Not sure if anyone sued them for that but there was plenty of talk. Never did fly with them again. True story.

Steve
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 02:33 AM

Betty,

I also fly out of Asheville. We have the absolute worst flight service in the whole country. Earlier in the year it was stated that the time delays were the worst right here in our little AVL airport!! The shuttles with best service leave about 6 am and you can sit in ATL or CVG all day..if you take a later one, you are just asking for trouble.

Delta will put you on their codeshares..NW, Cont. etc...I don't let them do it to me. I'm taking my grand daughter and husband to Paris, leaving 4/15. They leave from Tampa and are flying Cont. via Newark. I will go AVL/ATL and CDG.spending a great deal of time in ATL. My return flight from ATL to AVL was canceled and another long wait to arrive home at 8:30 instead of 4:00!

Delta has canceled many, many flights.........

Good luck....
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:11 AM

I know Northwest has done that to passengers, but so have AA and Jetblue, and probably other airlines too (I seem to remember Air France off the top of my head).
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Another vote for Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford (museum) in Dearborn if you do ultimately end up stuck for 9+ hours. A great way to spend the day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -