8 hours in Paris What to Do?

May 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

8 hours in Paris What to Do?

Will be in Paris for about 8 hours this fall between arrival at the airport departing on a train. Been there before and have seen the Tower, the Arch, Notre Dame, most of the other usual suspects. Any suggestions on how to spend our time (other than eating and drinking)?
May 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM

How much actual time to tour? What about luggage?
Particular interests?
May 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Actual time, we arrive about 11 a.m. depart about 8 a.m. the next day, so I was guessing we had about 8 actual hours.
Interests, history, food, wine, art. Will park luggage at the hotel while we roam around.
May 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Take a segway tour of the city. It's the absolute best time
and best way to see so much of the city. The tour lasts about
3 hours and is just so much fun. They are easy to ride, and
the tour guide gives a lesson, etc.. I think the name of the company we used was Fat Tire Tour or something like that. But google segway tour in paris and you'll find something.
This became the highlight of our trip, now we do it in every
city that offers it. No matter your age, this is fun, safe,
and easy! We are 50, 56, and 18.
May 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Find a great sidewalk cafe to have lunch, walk down the Champs Elyse, do a little window shopping, pick out one museum and brush up on your art viewing, just wander around and soak of the atmosphere, visit the Rue Cler area to view the food stalls, find a place that specializes in macarons, buy a long baguette and tear off pieces as you go, have a fabulous dinner, end your evening eating pastrys while watching the lights come on at the Eiffel Tower. Thats about 8 hours worth--have fun!!! This plan is heavy on eating and walking-one balances out the other.
May 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Have you seen the Cluny Museum? the Branly (the new anthropology museum)? the musée Jacquemart André?

What you walked through the Marais and seen the Place de Vosges?

I picked up a great book called Unexplored Paris; it's out of print, but there are 4 used copies on sale at Amazon.
May 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
sap

dandygirl: I looked up Segway tours since it sounds like so much fun. When I saw the pictures of everyone in their matching safety vests and helmets, though, I realized there was no way I could bring myself to put those on and be seen in public. I assume it's mandatory that you wear that stuff, right?

Boom-boom, hopefully you don't care about that kind of thing, though and I'll bet it would be a blast. (I'm the same type who never wanted to be a cheerleader because I couldn't bear to put on a matching outfit, jump up & down and make a spectacle of myself. I'm just weird that way.)

I like Poconolady's plan.
May 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Go for a walk on The Canal Saint Martin in the 10th between Rue du Faubourg du Temple in the south and as far north as you like until Place de la Bataille de Stalingrad. Visit Saint-Chapelle on the Il de la Cite. A 13th century chapel built to house a relic of the true cross and renovated in the 19th century to its original splendor. Full or original medieval stain glass windows that are incredible. Go to the crypt under the parvis in front of Notre Dame and see remains of Paris going back as far as the Roman era. Plus, learn about the history of Paris over the last 2,000 years. In the Marais visit The Carnavalet Museum. It was originally the residence of Madame de Sevigne and is now the museum of the history of Paris, plus, it's free. If you want to do a great 2 hour walking tour of Paris look up a company called Paris Walks. They offer tours of several different areas. It's only 12 euros per person. Their guides have extensive knowledge of the city and its history and I find them the most expert of all the walking tour companies. On Rue Monge in the 5th, see the Arenes de Lutece, an actual Roman arena in Paris that no one really visits. It's free too. Adjacent to the arena and east is The Jardin des Plantes (also free), a lovely botanical garden. Visit the catacombs. See the Jardin du Luxembourg in the 6th and notice the present day senate building built in the 16th century as a royal residence for the queen (either Catherine or Marie DeMedici). The gardens here are meant to mimic the Boboli Gardens in Florence. Les Invalides is the museum of military history. You've probably seen it next to the Seine with its huge gold dome. It has the tomb of Napoleon, separate exhibits of WWI and WWII plus the most amazing collection of medieval armor and weapons I have ever seen. The suits of armor look brand new and there are hundreds of them. The original suits of Henri IV and Louis XIII are on display here and the detail of these suits is something I couldn't have imagined, especially the cobalt blue color of the armor. Have you been to Montmatre? If you've walked through the Latin Quarter walk a little further west into the 6th and between boulevard Saint-Germain and the river. A lovely place to stroll if you haven't been. Someone else mentioned the Cluny Museum. It's a museum of medieval history, part of which is located in the old Roman baths. The exterior portions of the bath are visible from the street. Of course you could always go to a great restaurant but I'd save that for dinner after your day is over. Or you could just go to a cafe with a great view and drink an awful lot of wine. This should keep you busy but let me know if you need other ideas.
May 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Agree to do something outdoor - walking a cute neighborhood wold be fine - to recuperate from the flight and get ready for the train. But wold save that for evening and use the day time to see 1 or 2 sights that you haven;t. Not sure what you have seen - but IMHO must sees that are not too time-consuming are

Musee de Cluny
Sainte Chapelle
Rodin Museum

Before or after dinner take a nice walk along the Seine or on the Ile de la Cite.
May 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM

You must do the segway. There are different companies offering it, so maybe one isn't as offensive as the other. Of
course you must wear a helmet! But I guarantee you will never
have more fun or cover so many miles in this timeframe, leaving you plenty of time to do many of the other suggestions. The companies have been doing this for years and
the Parisians are used to seeing it. I figure as long as I have on nice clothes and fabulous lipstick with dark glasses, who cares!!!! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're doing it in Stockholm and Copenhagen, and did it last year in Prague. THE BEST!!!!!
May 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Fat Tire Tours are wonderful. I did the bike trip last summer in the rain, wearing a clear poncho, with the hood tied at the top so it didn't blow off, and I was a cone head. Not how I wanted to look in Paris, but.....It was a lot of fun. Returning next week to do the (night) bike tour that ends with a river cruise. I second the rec of the Rodin Museum, and St. Chapelle.
Do one museum, one church, a walk along the river, and at least one bottle of wine/champagne. It will be perfect.
May 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - Great ideas, will put them on my list and work it out, and will look into Segway tour. For sure have bottle(s) of wine!!