Search

8 Days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Days in Rome

We will be in Rome for 8 days after spending 3 in Florence and 3 in Venice. After the standard tourist days at the Vatican etc we would like to take day trips to the countryside--is Naples a reasonable day trip from Rome using trains?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not pick a small(er) town rather than another big city? Orvieto is easy by train. Assisi is a little farther but possible as a long day trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Ostia Antica, for sure.

Go to
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

you can put in your optional destinations, beginning with Rome, and see how often train runs, and how long the journey is.

You could start with a map and see which places that are close to Rome intrigue you, and go from there.

The sights in Tivoli are still on my list, after several trips to Rome. I would include those as they are easy to reach, and there are some organized day trips.

A fast train to Naples takes about an hour and a half. Slower less expensive trains take longer.

Include time to get to and from the train station.

Rome > Orvieto is about an hour.

A fast train to Assisi is about 1 hour and 45 minutes, then you have to get into Assisi.

There's an awful lot to see and do in Rome; I would plan two daytrips at the most.

Naples isn't the countryside, that's for sure!

What do you have in mind, exactly? Countryside trips are a little easier to achieve from Florence, IMO.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi frapow,

8 days isn't really all that long. we had 6 days and still had loads that we didn't get to do.

I agree that Orvieto [about an hour from Rome] is a good idea. Assisi is a bit longer - between 1hr 45 and 2hr 15 each way.

to my surprise, I just googled www.trenitalia.it and found that naples is about the same. But it's still a long time out a day - 4 hours at least.

In 8 days you could do the following and still have some wandering around/relaxation time.

ancient Rome - forum, colosseum, capitoline hill, st. Clemente.

Scavi tour, vatican, st. peter's.

Borghese gallery & gardens, centro storico [pantheon, etc.]

ostia antica

Trastevere.

tivoli [villa d'este and hadrian's villa]

Orvieto.

there are loads of other things that I haven't mentioned.

try to group together the sights that are adjacent to each toher [yes, I know it sounds obvious, but you wouldn't believe the itineraries that get posted that haven't considered this].

Rick Steves has some good ideas for what to do in 1,3,7 days.

regards, ann
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM

I would definitely recommend Ostia Antica but on the way, stop off at St Peter's Outside the Walls. It's my latest favorite church. You just get off at the stop for the church (darn, can't remember it but easy to find), visit the church and back on the train to Ostia Antica. Super nice day trip.

I'd also recommend the day trip to Orvieto, another favorite town. Beyond these I would just stay in Rome as there's so much to see that you'll only touch the surface in a week.