8 days in Milan, Florence & Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just booked tickets using air miles from ORD to Milan, returning to ORD from Rome. The intent of this trip is to spend the bulk of our time in Florence, to which we've not been and have already chosen an apartment. Any feedback on Sleeping In Florence, San Lorenzo apartment would be appreciated.

If we arrive in Milan at 8:10 am and would like to see the Last Super, the Doumo, and Galleria. I see a few options, 1) stay overnight in Milan, 2) go directly to FLorence and return for a day trip, or 3) attempt to see this the day of arrival then get a train to Florence. I want to maximize the time we spend in Florence, and would like two days in Rome. Ideally, if I knew we'd have the energy we'd see Milan the day we land then move onto Florence, but there's a 60% chance we'll be too beat.

Goal is to minimize cash outflow and time. Feedback from those who have slipped in a Milan visit while in transit would be helpful.

Thanks...
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
LJ

Is ORD your starting point? if that is direct and you have no connections, then I suppose you could haul yourself off the plane, go and see "the Last Super" (LOL) and then catch a train to Florence. It is certainly not an ideal circumstance to view art, but I gather it is the reason you decided to fly into Milan (or you had no choice?)
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Hello delvino, personally I would stay the first night in Milan. After a long flight I can hardly wait to take a good long shower, change clothes etc. I wouldn't be comfortable sightseeing for hours without doing so. Now possibly the hotel would not have a room ready for you when you arrive in Milan (probably around 10:00am) but you could at least drop off your luggage, go to the Galleria for espresso and visit that beautiful space. Then you could go to your room, shower, change go have lunch, see the Last Supper, the Duomo etc., walking around is good to do after a long flight. Have dinner, get a good nights sleep and leave Milan early the next morning to take the train to Florence. You would no doubt feel well rested when you arrive in Florence. Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Give Milan its due; stay overnight. Really. I suggest Hotel Aosta across from the Milano Centrale train station. This way you will have two day options to see The Last Supper (best wishes with that....), will save money and time by not having to backtrack to Milan, and will not have to drag luggage for long. Do not miss the Castello Sforzesco, the Duomo in the Cathedral. Milan is a great city to explore.

Make sure you get on the right train to Florence....I ended up in Brescia for not paying attention Hey still Italia!!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. We really wanted to get into Florence but could not find any openings using mileage, but I'm ok with going into Milan and out of Rome (I love Rome). I'm inclined to go with the first night in Milan option. I think that will establish a more relaxing tone to the trip. Then to Florence for 5 nights and 2 nights in Rome.

Thank you for the hotel recommnedation, I'll check that out. In Rome, the apartment we last stayed at, Palazzo Olivia, no longer seems in business. Anybody know what happened, this place was great, and was hoping to get a 2 night rental. Second choice was Albergo Cesari, but boy there prices went up. Looking for something in Rome no more than 150 Euro's, but would like a BK, even if its just a continental BK. I really need coffee in the am.

Has anyone visited the baths in Rome, we've not done that and I'd like to check out some new sights.

Ciao!
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

After looking at numerous hotels I'm moving on from Milan, taking the Malapenasa Shuttle to from the airport to Milan Centrale Terminal, and training to Florence. It's worth it to me than to spend 300-400 euros for a one nighter in Milan, when a much nicer and roomer apartment awaits in Florence for 110 euro.

As a result of reading some other posts, I saw a note from Bob the Navigator referring to Palazzo Olivia. Thank goodness it's still around, I must have looked it up using the incorrect spelling or something. Yea to you Bob. Your guidance and advice have always been spot on.
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM

I did your #3 option my first time-- flew into MXP, train to Cadorna, a few hours' sightseeing (Duomo area), taxi to Centrale, train to Florence.

Even arriving later than you in the morning AND dealing with a partial rail strike, I got to see and enjoy a lot in Milan. If you can't stay overnight, at least do that.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't tell what you've decided to do. We've flown in and out of Milan many times over several years. Even after spending a night on either arrival or departure every time, we still haven't seen all the city offers. I'm one who can't get enough of Florence, but I'd spend the first night in Milan.

If you take a really early train from Florence to Rome, you can arrive before things open and still have two full days there.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:59 AM

The Hotel Aosta across from Milano Centrale is 90 Euros; great double with breakfast included. Delvino-- with all due respect, if all you could find in Milan were hotels in the 300-400 Euros range you need some serious tutoring on web travel search browsing...YIKES!
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2, you are probaly correct, as I looked up Hotrel Aosta and for 1 night on October 8tkh, a double is 350 Euro. I'll keep looking today, but if you have some pointers, I'd be gratefule.

Jean, I've decided to move on from Milan directly to Florence as I'm not having luck finding hotels within my price range. Viajero2 pointed out Hotel Aosta, and after checking it online, I found a price of 350 Euro's for one night.

I wouldn't mind looking around Milan abit and staying one night, but I'm rather concerned about how we'll feel. We (DH) and me can sleep on the plane, and from past experience, I often do not do so well on the day of landing as a result.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:47 AM

OCTOBER 8th??? That explains a lot....FASHION WEEK IN MILAN for the Spring and Summer 2010 seasons!!! highest hotel rates of the year!! Timing is everything, isn't it? I'll keep looking for you...I am on it!!!
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I sure can pick 'em! LOL.

Thanks for your help Viajero2.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Hey delvino!! Hotel Florida, very close to the Milano Centrale station at $125/double with breakfast is probably about the best rates for that date. Basic, but clean are the various reviews' concensus.

If in fact you can gather the stamina to hop on to a train to Florence (1.5 hours away) once at Milano Centrale, then might as well consider it given the circumstances. Remember that MXP airport to Milano Centrale is about an hour away by bus (8 Euros/pp).
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2 You Rock.

I just looked this up and was so delighted I booked the wrong date (duh!). Anyway, I've sent a note to modify the date. AND, I cannot thank you enough for finding this.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Now that I've booked the right date (the evening of the 7th, the price increased from 90Euros to 120. That's ok, its only 10 euro's more than the apartment in FLorence, and I did want to putter around Milan.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM

delvino, we really enjoyed milan last summer and felt it was quite underrated.

you may find some useful info my trip report - milan, florence, and rome are near the end .
especially the highlights of milan.

just click on my name and then scroll down to the three weeks in italy trip report.

have a great trip!
dina
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

So I need to vent. After a week of "vacation", staying at home base, where I was on conference calls for several days in a row, and worked to get our 3 year strategic plan out (nice vacation - - not!), I plan to go away. So I pick my dates and when I get to the office today I find that the dates are picked are not good (let me say there is no good time except July and part of August (ick), and November/December. So I've shifted my dates to the end of October though the beginning of November.

Now to start the process all over again......well, at least Fashion Week will be over.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my husband would say Fashion Week is a good thing. He loved seeing the gorgeous women walking around.

Delvino, I still hope you'll consider staying the first night in Milan. There's much to see in a small area.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Delvino-- Italy is fabulous all year around, so no harm done! Have a great time! Having a vacation to look forward is a great incentive to keep plowing along!!