Reload this Page >

8 days in Italy - First Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Stewart Garcia

Please advise on a good intinerary which will not break our necks, yet allow us to see a good amount. WIll probably fly in from Washington DC. into Rome. (via LHR or CDG) Any suggestions regarding better airport alternative. Do we need to hire a car. Have one 15 yr old whom we dont want to bore too much! Thank you<BR>Stewart Garcia

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Stewart, In only 8 days you will do well to see Rome, Florence, and parts of Tuscany. You do not need a car, but having one for 3 days may be good to see the Tuscan hill towns. After 9 trips to Italy I have yet to see it all.

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:26 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>As Bob suggests, with Rome as your base<BR>(and Rome can easily eat up a week of sightseeing all by iteself) you could also see Florence and some of the Tuscany/Chianti area. Florence is an easy train ride from Rome. From Florence you could rent a car, or use buses for day trips into Tuscany, or overnighters. OR, you could take a daytrip from Rome to Pompeii, or rent a car and see some of the Amalfi Coast.<BR><BR>If you were to fly into Milan instead, then I'd advise you to stay north, and see the Lakes and Venice. The Lakes are easier with a car from Milan, but you can also take trains and buses. Milan to Venice is again an easy train ride.<BR><BR>I think the worst idea with a 15-year-old would be spending too much time in a car, even in beautiful Tuscany. Find a base or two, and take daytrips.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:19 PM
cjswanson

Just got back from visiting my son in Florence-studying politics and easily bored. We visited Assisi, the sights of Florence, Varenna and Venice. The Eurostar served all our needs.

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Rex

See my (re-)post on your other thread about best airline. Now that I think about it, I recommend 4 days England, 4 days Rome - - either as 4 + 4 - - or 2+ 4 + 2.<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:23 AM
ttt

for Stewart<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:40 PM
join

re-join the companion question from Stewart<BR>