8 Days in Andalucia

Search

8 Days in Andalucia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Days in Andalucia

Hi everyone. My wife and I are planning a trip to see Andalucía for about 8 days. Can anyone suggest places to see and what natural order should it occur? We will be flying from Canada and we are not sure if we fly straight or stop in Germany or London for the night and catch the flight to the region. Thank you in advance for all your thoughts.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Well since we don't know where you are coming from how can we tell? Usually flights from NA go only to Madrid but from NYC You can also go to Barcelona.

To fly to Malaga you will have to change somewhere, but I suggest other then LHR which is a PIA. This should not be spending a day there. Typically flights from NA to europe land in the am and you could catch a flight to Malaga 2 or 3 hours later and get there in the afternoon.

8 days is a very short time to see this area so you will have to either move very quickly or choose carefully. We have been twice - once 10 days ad once 12 and still have a lot we want to see (just Andalusia).
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 06:52 PM
kja

IMO, 8 days in Andalusia is just barely enough to cover the basics -- but certainly enough to have a wonderful trip.

I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

BTW, note that many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Enjoy your planning!
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Unless you live in some remote area of Canada, you should be able to reach Spain without having to throw away one day out of your eight day trip over nighting at a non destination. You only need to make a daytime layover at some other European airport serviced by your transatlantic flight from Canada.

You did not indicate when you are doing this trip. If you are doing this in summer, anywhere Andalusia is hot, very hot. Be sure you understand the implication before hitting that flight "buy" button.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 07:40 PM
kja

greg raises two excellent points!
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 07:04 AM

thanks everyone. this is Calgary1989. just check your notes using my wife's account. we really just tend to book a hotel in the center of the city, wonder around aimlessly, and eat. The last 12 years or so, we go to Europe in May and just chill. Our flight starts in Calgary and typical point of entry id either Munich, Frankfurt, or London. Places we'd like to see would be Malaga, Cordoba, and Seville. Cadiz seems interesting but not a must. After all, we are only there for 8 days. Do you recommend driving or just taking public transportation? My wife has not mastered the art of packing light so its always a challenge moving around.
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Public transportation is excellent. I would not rent a car. If you fly into Malaga I would head to Granada for 2 nights, Seville for 3 or 4 (with a daytrip to Cordoba) and spend the last two or one in Malaga. If you fly into Madrid, go to Seville, then Granada, one night in Malaga and the rest in Madrid.
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Right, you only have 8 days and will travel in May. Your priorities should be to see Granada, Cordoba, and Seville. If you go thru London, you could fly into Malaga and have a look around. We always rent a car thru AutoEurope, but public transport is excellent in Spain. Have fun !
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Odd thoughts:

You can fly into Seville.

Don't skip Granada. It was my favorite stop on our tour of Andalusia. (Seville was my husband's favorite.)

Let your wife carry her own suitcase and lift it onto trains and up onto the luggage storage shelves. Or give her some reward if she learns to pack small like experienced travelers do. Google to find sites with tips on how to pack lightly. 8 days aren't that many.
Old Oct 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM

thanks everyone. all your points are appreciated
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 01:33 AM

Just back from Málaga for the fifteenth time in about as many years. Also a couple of fabulous flamenco days in Sevilla, but Málaga only gets better and better. What a city! World class museums, amazing restaurants and tapas bars, the genuine and laid-back Andalucian atmosphere in the different barrios, ahhh.

Lonely Planet now describes Málaga as "the province's city of culture with its so-called 'mile of art' being compared to Madrid, and its dynamism and fine dining to Barcelona...". https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/andalucia/malaga

Pretty much to the point. You can read up on the great museums, the many historic sights and the faulous food scene in many newspapers and travel magazines, but here are some tips from our latest trip:

Affordable cuttting edge dining in Óleo at the Contemporary Arts Center by the river. Excellent terrace, atmosphere and the most friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating waiters. Best food experience in more than a year, and that includes several days in food mecca San Sebastián: http://azahar-spain.com/azahartapas/oleo/

The bull tail mini burger in Wendy Gamba by the cathedral is the best burger I've ever had, and I've had my fair share of so called gourmet burgers. http://azahar-spain.com/azahartapas/wendy-gamba/

Genuine flamenco song and guitar down in the basement in Peña Juan Breva, one of the oldest exsting flamenco clubs in Spain, every Friday night at 10:30 pm. Free entrance and also an atmospheric bar/restaurant on the ground floor. Also a flamenco museum here: http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tour...breva-group/79

The freshest typical Málaga style fish and seafood in very popular Chiringuito Cachalote right on the Malagueta beach. Also several other excellent chiringuitos (beachfront restaurants) along the long and wide Malagueta beach, for example more upscale Chiringuito Tropicana and more laid-back Chiringuito La Jabega where you eat the freshest grilled fish and seafood with your feet in the sand. http://chiringuitoelcachalote.com/

Late night fun, music and perhaps some spontaneous flamenco dance in the top floor of Bodega El Pimpi, an institution in town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ60p6dyFEs

And in a short time Gran Hotel Miramar from 1826 reopens: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...miramar+malaga

Could go on and on, but finish with a tour of Málaga together with Pablo Albrán: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AKba0ybDMc