Search

7 nites in positano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 nites in positano

Hi all,
Husband and I are staying at sireneuse for 7 nites in Aug. this year. We are planning a day trip to Pompei. No other plans set, What are the musts to do and the must haves to bring home? We need to relax and soak in the area. Last trip was run from Rome to Florence to venice, great but too much moving. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Pausanias

The usual day trips are Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi and Paestum. Take a cruise on the hotel boat if you like that sort of thing. If you are active sorts there is some good hiking in the hills above town. Time passes quickly poolside, especially with a pre-lunch bottle of champagne (it's that kind of place). The beach is ok, if you can beat the Germans to the good beach chairs.

Not much to buy except the local fashions and sandals. I bought small ceramic tiles of the black madonna and the fish/dog monster (don't worry, it will all become clear).

Enjoy the Sirenuse and eat at La Sponda often.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM

How about a day in Ravello? Go there for lunch, tour the gardens.

But I suggest, given the way you've described your situation, that you plan to go to Positano and relax. Good grief -- your're staying at La Sireneuse! If it were me, I'd never leave the hotel.

When you feel like going someplace, go. But if you don't, stay put. It's going to be hot. You've got the best seat in town.

Banish the thought of those "musts" -- inlcuding "musts" to bring home. Eat it and drink it the Amalfi instead, and callously pity us poor bastards left behind.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM

etk401
The town of Amalfi is very interesting, the Duomo very pretty.
We took the bus to Ravello and found
some great pottery and fantastic views.
Best part of the Amalfi coast is enjoying the beautiful water and relaxing. We never even made it to Pompeii. It just felt so good to be in that part of Italy and we are from the Gulf Coast, but this was very special. Chez Black is a fun restaurant in Positano.
AKNIC
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

I'd also suggest Ravello. I was there 2 summers ago and swore that if I ever went back, I would be sure to get tickets to one of the concerts in the gardens overlooking the sea. It was one of the most beautiful settings I saw throughout my 2 week trip to Italy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM

We were in Ravello for a week a few years ago.
It is lovely in the afternoon, walking, the gardens, small shops, etc - but if you are looking for something to do one night, we also enjoyed being there in the evening in the square - perhaps Positano has a similar square, I do not know - but the one in Ravello, which is close by, was a delight -

There were young kids playing ball, couples, families, elders all sitting around talking, it was a ture 'family affair' and we sat there soaking it all in - it was such an atmosphere to soak in.

Other than that, as one person said, don't feel guilty about leaving Sireneuse !!!

(but if you do, we also did Pompeii and Herculaneum) and if you haven't read Under the Tuscan Sun while you are there !
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts. A day trip to Pompei sounds like our only plan. The rest we are leaving to just happen. Can you walk and find restaurants without a reservation or are there some we should not miss and call ahead? Have been tending to a sick family, but promise to check replies in a more timely fashion.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM

In August, you are going to have to book ahead, but La Sireneuse will do that for you, even before you arrive in Italy. Just send them an e-mail.

I know the possibilities in other towns better than I do Positano: For Ravello, Da Salvatore (if you want a view) or Cumpa Cosima if you don't need one. In Amalfi, Da Gemma, and if you are in the mood for something not posh at all but with a great position on the sea, Da Zaccaria, which hangs out over the water outside the car tunnel that connects Amalfi and Atrani.

If you are in Amalfi and find yourself in a crush of tourists, it can be worth it to walk south to Atrani and visit the fishing village, where you will also find tourists, but probably not so many.

Be sure to carry a parasol and have plenty of water and other things to keep you cool when you visit Pompeii in August. There are no trees there.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Let the hotel make reservations for you at one of the wonderful restaurants im Montepertuso ( La Taglietella (sp?), Il Ritrovo, Donna Rosa, among others). Most restaurants provide roundtrip transfers for the 15 min. trip from Positano hotels.

Try to go to the restaurant around dusk, so that you can take advantage of the spectacular views from the restaurant windows, some of which encompass all of Positano and the sea!

Great idea by the way not to set plans if you don't have to. The days have a way of unfolding that is a true delight, especially in Italy!