COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 Days in Spain-Madrid or Seville or both?

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I'll be flying into Madrid the first week of April for seven days. I'm planning on using Madrid as a base with day trips to several cities (Toledo, Segovia, Cuenca). My travel companions would like to see Seville but is it possible as a day trip from Madrid? Or should we split our time between Madrid and Seville? I hate to miss any of the cities near Madrid and/or Madrid itself. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
kja

With the high speed train, it is technically possible to see Sevilla on a day trip from Madrid, but I personally would not recommend it. It might make more sense to wait until you can spend a week or 10 days in Andalucia. I think seven days in and around Madrid is about right, although I'm sure some people will disagree.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:26 PM

I'm with kja here. Madrid alone has plenty of attractions. There are at least five worthy art museums (have been to the Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen, Sorolla, San Fernando) and apparently more than this as well. If you include side trips to places such as Toledo, Segovia, and El Escorial (all of which I've been to and liked very much) that's easily a week's worth of time.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Sunny49:

Your trip plans mirror mine in significant ways. I'm headed to Madrid in early May and will use that as a base. I'm spending a total of nine days in Madrid and two in Seville. I'm spending my first seven days in Madrid, then two in Seville, and a final two more in Madrid.

I went to Madrid six years ago and decided that Seville was finally not a wise day trip. Too much of a strain, too hurried, at least for me. The more research I did, the more I realized that Seville deserved more of my time, so on that 2005 trip I took a day trip to Toledo, which was quite doable and enjoyable.

This year, beside my two days in Seville, I plan day trips to Segovia and Cuenca, which you mention. (I recently posted here on Fodor's about Cuenca and got five encouraging responses. Go to the The New York Times website travel section and you'll find a recent helpful article on Cuenca.) In Madrid, you'll definitely want to go to the Prado. I also want to go back to the Rena Sofia and Thyssen, and I want to go to the Sorolla museum. I saw his paintings in Paris in an exhibition with Sargent paintings, and I loved his work.

I'm staying at the Hotel Plaza Mayor in Madrid, which I stayed at in 2005 and liked, and the Hotel Amadeus in Seville. Maybe those hotels will work for you as well.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that information. You've given me lots to think about.