7 days in Spain

May 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

7 days in Spain

Hi. We have 7 days in Spain (1st week of August)-- we fly in & out of Madrid.

We would like to see some of Madrid but also Andalusia (Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada)

So, we were thinking 3 d Madrid, & 1day each for Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba. Is this a reasonable itinerary? Suggestions?

Any recommendations for 3-4 star hotels for 70-$110 US in any of those locations? In Madrid, I guess we would like a central hotel that is close (walkable?) to the museums/sights.

I think we are planning to rent a car to drive to Anadalucia & plan to drop it off in Andalucia & take the train back to Madrid & our flight out.

Thanks!
May 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM

I've been to all the places you've mentioned, and for a week, I would suggest less time in Madrid (I like Madrid, but it's a big city and I don't think it has the charm of the cities in Andalusia. I would add more days to Sevilla and do Cordoba as a day trip.

For hotels in that pricerange, you might try using Bancotel.com coupons or get them from Petrabax.com.

I suggest getting tickets for Alhambra in advance--you can do it on the Internet.

I hope you like really HOT weather, because these parts of Spain will be very hot in August. If you don't, you might be better off going to the North coast.

I love Spain and Andalusia is wonderful.

Have a great trip!
May 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Agree about less time in Madrid - 2 days is plenty IMHO. I loved the south much more but would not do in August since the daytime temps will be about 100 - way too hot for me to do anything except sit in an AC room. If you like the heat great! If not, I would consider the North - especially the atlantic coast at that time of year (this is where the Spanish well to do typically vacation at that time of year).
May 29th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I'm not excited about the heat, but my wife & I REALLY want to see Andalucia. So maybe we'll do 2 d in Madrid, 2-3d Sevilla (with Cordoba as a day trip), and 1 day for Granada.

Do you guys have hotel recommendations?

Also, just out of curiosity-- where would you go in the North-- I'll check it out on the web & talk to my wife.

Thanks!
May 30th, 2004, 02:15 AM

jay_r writes: "Also, just out of curiosity-- where would you go in the North-- I'll check it out on the web & talk to my wife."

Most of the Beach resorts on the North and Northwest coasts will be booked solid: August is when European factories close and employees are all given their month-long vacation; and many of them head for Spain. Santiago de Compostela is far enough inland that you don't get any sea breezes but it's worth a visit this Jubilee year.

BancHotel coupons are good in offseason but in August a lot of places don't accept them.

In Sevilla, we stayed at a small Hotel: Acor Monte Olivos very close to Santa Justa rail station. It has air conditioning, parking and a very small swimming pool. I recommend you take AVE Madrid-Sevilla and pick up a rental car at Sevilla's rail station.
May 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks artlover, nytraveler, and NEDSIRELAND for the advice-- there are very good deals at Bancotel.

Itinerary will be:
8/2 Madrid
8/3 Madrid (Prob. Hotel Bauza)
8/4 Rent car in Madrid, drive Cordoba. Spend 1/2 day in Cordoba, then drive to Granada. Spend night in Granada (prob. Saray hotel)
8/5 Granada/Alhambra. Drive to Sevilla that evening
8/6, 8/7, 8/8 Sevilla
(plan to drop off car 8/6)
8/8 Take AVE train back to Madrid
8/8 evening, Tryp Diana hotel (by the airport)
8/9 depart from Madrid airport.

Questions here:
Sevilla hotel-- Hotel Fernando vs. La Casa de Mercaderes (both are 1 coupon). Both seem to be good hotels, fernando has a pool & is 4 star. Mercaderes has great reviews & is rated 3*. Has anyone stayed at either recently?

Also, I've read that driving from Granada to Sevilla in the evening is a bad idea. Also, is driving to Cordoba & then to Granada later that day just too much? Making the drive from Madrid saves about $50 vs. the train.

Thanks,
May 31st, 2004, 05:57 PM

We stayed at Fernando and liked it very much. The location couldn't be better and the staff we so helpful (especially when I tried to speak to them in my very limited Spanish!) The room was fine, bathroom all marble, and for 1 coupon, I'd stay there again. Don't try to drive to it though--drop rental car off first--driving in that area is insane!

Also, I highly recommend the flamenco show at Los Gallos--walking distance from the hotel. They can get you tickets--a good idea.

Have a great trip!
May 31st, 2004, 08:35 PM

jay_r -

check out my web site on our trip to Andalucia. Hope it can help you.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/57...andalucia.html