Search

7 days in Ireland in March

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Ireland in March

Hi there folks,

My husband and I just purchased tickets to fly into Shannon next month -- in fact, we'll arrive there on the morning of St. Patrick's Day. I have a bunch of questions that I hope you all could help me with:

• how much do we have to factor St. Patrick's Day into our plans? Should we definitely make reservations for our first couple of nights of accommodation?
• we're going to try to resist the U.S. tendency to drive a lot and see everything quickly; so our first thought is just to focus on the Ring of Kerry and Dingle peninsula. A good idea?
• we would love some specific recommendations about B&B's to stay in; we're looking for low prices (about $70/night for the both of us, if that's even possible) and nothing too fancy.
• we're mostly vegetarian! Any recommendations for dining?

And if you have other advice that you simply must share, we'll be grateful for it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM

First let me say I think you are smart not to try and cram too much into seven days, and arriving on St. Pat's day should not be a problem as long as you avoid the big cities.

If you don't mind a 3 hour drive on you first day Dingle is not a hard drive just don't do the Connor pass until the next day when your rested. Two night in Dingle and then perhaps two or three nights in Kenmare which is a great base for the ROK, the Ring of Beara (Just as lovely and less crowded), Killarney Nat. Park and then one night around the airport, Bunratty or Ennis. I have found all of the Peninsulas great places to visit, dotted with small villages and great scenery. I would make reservation for my first stop as it is St. Pats day and you will be tired and don't want to have to wander around looking for lodging. When you pick your spots sign back on and alot of folks will have Rec. on B&B's. You will be suprised on how good the food is in Ireland. Vegetarian should not be a problem in the larger towns but could be a bit tricky in the small village Pubs where we do most of eating. Have fun
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, Johnod. Our itinerary is slowly taking shape, and at the moment, looks a little something like this:

Day 1: Arrive Shannon airport, drive to Doolin. See the Cliffs of Moher.
Day 2: Drive to Dingle, stay for two nights.
Day 4: Drive to Killarney, stay for three nights, do Ring of Kerry from there.
Day 7: Drive to Bunratty, stay for one night.
Day 8: Depart Shannon airport.

So the list of questions has now changed a bit. We'd love specific recommendations for B&B's in Doolin, Dingle town, Killarney, and Bunratty. We're thinking at the moment of trying to make virtually all of our reservations in advance, because we are leaving our two kiddies stateside (ages two and a half years and six months), and will want to be able to be reached easily in case of an emergency. We'd like places that are fairly moderately priced, but with private bath and a good breakfast.

Also, does this itinerary make sense to folks?

thanks to all,
Ann

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Cahilla:
Our trip was a bit longer than your planned trip but you can look at our travel blog here: spaces.msn.com/cartersblog
I have some B&B's in there. Enjoy your trip, Ireland is a wonderful place, we hope to return soon.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Cahilla,

I have written before and others have agreed that Doolin at the best of times is very, very overrated. There is no village in Doolin just three Pubs that are not within walking ditance of each other and a small rundown strip of novelty shops next to the "famous" Gus Oconnors. On St. Pats day I believe that it will be full of drunk teens as it usually is during the summer. Having said that I think three nights in Killarney is too much but I will admit you can keep busy. Try the Gap of Dunloe if the Wx. is nice. I have walked it twice and the views are great as is a boat ride thru the lakes at the end. The only B&B I can Rec. to you is Inishfree in Bunratty. We ahve stayed there three years in a row and will again this year. She only takes cash but she is a little cheaper that the rest and it is alovely place. The three times I have stayed In killarney I have not found a place that stands out so I will leave that for others. Have fun
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:30 AM

In Killarney, about half way between the entrance to Muckross House and Town Center, sits Carriglea House, run by the Beazley family. A former Victorian farmhouse sitting on thirty acres opposite one of Killarney's famous lakes.
We stayed there in June of '04, it was Euro 35 PPS. We had an upstairs room in the Carraige house - a two room suite with a huge bath and incredible views of the lake.
We have recommended it to others and would definitely stay there again.
Phone: 064 31116
email (dunno if still valid):
[email protected]
Bob
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM
CU

You will find that everyone will have there own place for staying in. For the Doolin area could I suggest that you look at www.shannontourism.ie All places here come highly recommended.
For Dingle www.corkkerry.ie and for Bunratty www.shannonheritage.com and for that last minute shopping at the airport www.airportshopping.ie
Have a great time.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the help -- I am going to reconsider Doolin, since drunken lads are not our idea of a good time. Perhaps Ballyvaughn is a better idea...

The research and planning continues!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Ballyvaughan would be my choice over Doolin for a place to sleep. Rusheen Lodge gets rave reviews from Lonely Planet and Rick Steves. The Holywell Italian Cafe is a great restaurant just outside of Ballyvaughan.

I'd also choose Kenmare (a pretty town) over Killarney (much more "touristy&quotfor a base. A nice but very reasonable B&B that I can personally recommend is Waters Edge (e-mail: [email protected]; tel: 064/41707).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Hi Ann,

First, whenever I travel to Ireland, from the States, I take the opportunity to sleep the 6-7 hours during the flight. That way I am ready to go when I hit the shores of the Emerald Isle!

You are smart to fly to Shannon instead of Dublin on St Pat's day...Dublin is very hectic anyway and that day traffic is impossible, for me anyway.

I almost always set-up my own trip using either/all of the three following sites:

http://www.bedandbreakfastireland.net/

www.goireland.com

http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

I rent a car from Dooley's, http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ , who seem to have the best prices as they include the insurance in the price where others add it on...so don't be fooled. Trains are a fun way to travel in Ireland too, http://www.interrail-guide.com/time-table-ie.html!

I use Ireland's Auto Association website, http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/ , to get my driving tips and instructions. Make sure to buy a good ordenance map when you arrive and Dooley's usually supplies these with your car-hire.

Insight-Ireland, http://www.dingle-insight.com/ , and Tourism-Ireland, http://www.tourismireland.com/ , will give you tons of info on local attractions throughout Ireland. I do find these sites very helpful!

There is a beautiful little village called Glin, Co. Limerick, and I found it to be a terrific base in which to get to the Cliffs, Clare, Galway city etc., as it is just within a very short drive to Tarbert and the car-ferry. There is Castle Glin which is a family residence as well as a luxury manor house with incredible gardens. I have done self-catering and found that from this lovely little village I can get to the Cliffs of Moher or the Ring of Kerry within 1-2 hours, no problem.
The self-catering cottages usually go for a week's rental but have found it much cheaper than even B&Bs with 2 persons sharing. There are some lovely holiday cottages in Ireland and self-catering/self-driving is really a great way to go. Killarney is a nice little town too and I enjoy staying at Ross Castle Lodge about 1 mile on the Muckross road in Killarney! Really worth a visit!

Hope some of this helps!

Regards,
SM

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hi Ann,
We are making this trek at the beginning of May and after much research and lots of help from Fodor folk have booked our accommodation at the following. Have heard so many conflicting reports about Doolin but have decided to stay there based on the time of year we are going (not the peak of the tourist season) and its proximity to the Cliffs and our route to Dingle the following day.
Doolin - Ballyvara House http://www.ballyvarahouse.com/
Dingle - Emlagh Lodge http://www.emlaghlodge.com/
Kenmare (instead of Killarney) - The Lodge http://www.thelodgekenmare.com/
Bunratty - Dunaree http://www.dunaree.com/
Of course there are many options but these came highly recommended both here and/or on TripAdvisor. Have fun planning - your trip will be here before you know it!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM

cahilla, starfish has done a good job of research. The only one I've stayed in is The Lodge and it was great. Ballyvara House was my pick for Doolin last year but decided to stay in Lisdoonvara. Stayed at Sheedy's House Hotel. I've heard only good things about Emlagh Lodge. Now, that last one in Bunratty I don't think I've heard of. Anyway, have a great trip. Joan
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM

ttt for chemgirl
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM

I'm planning a trip in April for my dad and learned that Carriglea house is closed until mid-April but made reservations at Ross Castle Lodge in Killarney. We stayed at The Lodge in Kenmare on a prior trip and highly recommend. All three are mentioned by previous posters.