South West Ireland - Itinerary & help

Jan 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

South West Ireland - Itinerary & help

My husband and I, with three 17 year old girls will be traveling to Ireland end of May/early June 08. This is our itinerary:

Into Shannon Airport
3 nights Ballyvaughan - base for Burren, Cliffs or Moher, Connemara
3 nights Dingle
3 nights Kenmare - base for Ring of Kerry, Killarney NP, Muckrock house
1 night near Shannon to return

Questions: The three teens are very adventurous and love the outdoors. Will we be able to find enough to do around Ballyvaughan area? Would renting bikes be feasible? Is it safe for the teens to be out on their own in the towns we are staying? Is there a better base than Ballyaughan for us?

Thanks for any help...I've read forums until I am cross eyed!
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM

I traveled through Ireland in September, but my sister/traveling companion is not up for walking. I'd love to go back, just for the walking, especially in the Burren.

Since she didn't feel able to walk the quarter mile or so to view the Cliffs of Moher up close, we saw them only from a distance. I'd like to take the time to walk in that area, especially to see the cliffs up close. From what I've read, there's much to see in the Burren.

I don't know Ballyvaughn, but my Rick Steves Ireland says it's a good place from which to explore the Burren. I would think your teens would enjoy that.

We decided to drive the Dingle Peninsula instead of the Ring of Kerry because we'd read about the narrowness of the road and the plethora of tour busses we'd meet. We liked the town of Dingle, and we especially enjoyed the Harry Clarke windows in St. Joseph's convent.

Ballyvaughn isn't far from Doolin, where you all might enjoy an evening in a pub listening to Irish music.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM

Ballyvaughn is a lovely village but 3 nights are way too much. From Shannon you can reach Ballyvaughn very easily in about two hours and the drive will take you through the Burren. Stop at Ailwee Cave enroute and get a feel for the Burren. There will not be alot for three 17 years old girls to do in Ballyvaughn. Drive south along the coast for a pleasent drive with the sea on one side and the burren on the other. Spend a night in Doolin and then head south on the ferry and spend two nights in Dingle. The girls will love that and Dingle is high on everyones list. Killarney is a big town with lots to do for the girls. Try walking the Gap of Dunloe and then taking the boat ride on the lakes. The NP is great but Muckross house is just a big house, good for a rain day. Use Kenmare as a base for the ROK and the ring of Beara and Kinsale is a short drive south. Skip Blarney. Ennis and the Folk Park are worth a night before you fly out. Save the Connemara for your next trip. Have fun
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

We plan to use Ballyvaughan as a base and explore the area. We may do a day hike or bike, kayak etc. I realize the town is very small, but if we head out to do the Cliffs, Burren, Galway (1/2 day), Doolin for music, etc is 3 nights too many?

Should we plan two nights in Ballyvaughan and plan an extra (4th) night in Dingle or Kenmare? I am a little worried about finding accomodation in Dingle, as June 2 is a holiday. Will this spell trouble for me?

Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM

Spend two nights in Ballyvaughn and one night in Doolin. Doolin is not my favorite spot in Ireland but you can't go there from Ballyvaughn and spend an evening in one of the Pubs and then drive back to Ballyvaughn. If you book now you should have no problem finding lodging in Dingle. In Dingle don't be afraid to wander away from the quay and walk up to the upper road. The Beagle Pus had real Trad. music and there are several others that the locals frequent. Have fun
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM

I don't know if this fits into your itinerary but Ennis' Fleadh Nua (Spring Music/Dance Festival) is the last week of May. You could daytrip back from Ballyvaughan to Ennis for that. I'm sure your 17-year old girls would love it even though it's not an outdoorsy thing

Google on 'Fleadh Nua' for dates