7 days, 6 nights in Ireland

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days, 6 nights in Ireland

My husband and I are (yes, already) planning a trip to Ireland for the end of May 2007. We definitely want to hit the south and west, but I have a few questions. What are some of your "can't miss" sites, and should we fly into Dublin and out of Shannon or go Shannon all the way around?

We want to do a bit of hiking while there, but also want to hit a few "touristy" spots - like Bunratty Castle, etc.

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM

For me, I would say a "can't miss" place is Clifden. I really like the area. There is a lot to see and do. The Connemara area is truly lovely.
Tauri
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Stay away from Dublin. In/out of Shannon.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Loved the Connemara region and The Burren. If you do fly into Dublin, you can't miss Glendalough and Powerscourt Gardens, outside of town.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Fleadh Nua, Ennis' Spring Music Fest is the last week of May. If you can, be there for that: book early! It's very close to Shannon, so you might let Events like that 'drive' your itinerary.

Many of my 'can't miss' sights are in Mayo: Croagh Patrick, Knock Shrine, Achill Island & Westport, Cong ('Quiet Man' village), etc.

Depending on how much time you have, a day or two in Dublin's Fair City might be nice. Does that mean I disagree with Budman?? No! But for first time visitors to go home without visiting the Irish Republic's historic Capital might be a faux pas.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I like Dublin more each time I visit but it takes more than a short stop over to even get a feel for it. It you plan to just stay there on a 1st or last night, I'd probably move on, especially if that night is a weekend. Weekends are pretty wild in Dublin.

With 6 nights, I would suggest in and out of Shannon and I would go either north from there or south but probably not both. IMO, Ireland is enjoyed more at a slow pace than screaming around the country. Back roads are very slow moving so it takes time to get from here to there. Some people like to drive most of the day, spend the night and move on. Although, you may feel that you have seen more, you will really see and certainly experience less.

If you go north you would have Galway, Connemara (Clifden) and perhaps Westport. Since you start in Co. Clare, seeing the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher is a good idea. You can do that if you go north or south. Bunratty Castle isn't such a bad choice and it's very convenient to Shannon on either a first or last day. It's best to get there early before the buses arrive. I'm not a big fan of the folk park but others love it.

If you go south, you can see Dingle and Kenmare. At the end of May, there will be slightly greater crowds in the SW than in the west, but not a significant difference. I think Kenmare is the perfect jumping off point for lots of places in the SW like, the Ring of Kerry (some people don't like it because it's a long drive and the rewards aren't in your face scenery), Gap of Dunloe and Killarney Natl Park, the interior of the RoK, Beara Peninsula, Sheepshead and further afield, Mizen. Also, the Skellig Rocks are accessible from the tip of the Iveragh (RoK) Peninsula.

If the weather is good, the Skellig Rocks are one of the most remarkable sites in Ireland. The rock that was inhabited rises ominously 700 feet out of the Atlantic Ocean and appears to be uninhabitable by most reasonable humans. Estimates are that it was inhabited from the 6th century onward. The hike to the top is strenuous but not impossible and my 47 year old, computer facing, atrophying body managed to make it up the hill without too much trouble. On the other hand, a fear of heights might bring on a bit of a scare as the steps certainly have no railing and there are some sheer drop offs to contend with. I don't know if this site will be open forever as it is getting a great deal of abuse from uncaring tourists and I encourage you, if you go, to tread lightly on this amazing landscape.

Bill
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Annabellee, I agree, fly into and out of Shannon, since you only have 6 nights. That will put you within easy driving distance of some of the best of Ireland! For your 6 nights I would spend 2 nights in each of 3 b&bs. I would suggest you choose b&bs in these locations:

North of Shannon:
For seeing Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, stay in one of the quaint villages of County Clare such as:
Doolin
Ballyvaughan
Lisdoonvarna
Kilfenora

For a fun touristy time see either Bunratty castle and folk park, or see the Dunguaire castle medieval banquet in Dunguaire castle, Kinvara, County Galway ( also within driving distance if you are staying in Ballyvaughan.)

For a scenic county which is a bit off the tourist track and includes lively Westport, a fun shopping and pub music town, consider County Mayo.

South of Shannon:
If you decide to go south of Shannon instead of north, consider staying in lively Dingle town and spending a full day or 2 exploring the scenic Dingle Peninsula.

Have fun!

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM

End of May before the bank holiday (when school lets out) is a fine time. Long days and usually decent weather. I would cast a vote for Clifden. You can sit and watch the sea turn silver as the sun sets. Still a few woolen shops there and fine B&B's.
Ireland of the welcomes will please you but beware-prices have skyrocketed since it joined the EU.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Hi Annabellee,
A hiker! We love to hike in Ireland and take the Lonely Planet 'Walking in Ireland' book with us.

If it were my trip I would either go to Connemara/Westport or SW to Co. Kerry. Both areas have great hiking. Bill listed the amazing areas to visit in Kerry, especially for hiking.

We also loved the Westport area for hiking as you can climb to the top of Croagh Patrick (the Irish seem not to believe in switchbacks) and spend a day hiking on Clare Island (my favorite) or Achill Island. My husband's favorite hike - one of his favorites after a lifetime of great hikes in the western US - was Mweelrea, south of Westport climbing out of the stunning Doo Lough valley. I spent the day shopping and having teatime but his photos are breathtaking.

As others have said: fly into and out of Shannon for this visit. Spend a day in County Clare for the Burren - and Bunratty is fun. Then on to either Kerry or Mayo!