60th Birthday In Italy? With 3 adult children, spouses & grandbaby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate suggestions, recommendations and tips. We are thinking of possibly a villa or vacation rental in Italy, Greece, or Spain in September/October 2010. We would like to rent a place we can all stay together for 2 weeks and take short trips from there -- but I do not want to cook 3 meals a day. So, do these places come with cooks? What about drivers? I am hesitating because I am nervous about transporting 8 adults and a baby and do not want to spend our time only at a villa. Will there be enough to do, places to go and see? Will it be too difficult to get everyone out together? All of us have traveled -- My husband and I go to Europe each year, most recently to England,Wales, Scotland, France (Paris, Loire Valley & Normandy), Germany, and Italy. We like to sight see, but especially like exploring places that are off the beaten tourist locations. If we go to Italy, which we think would be good because of the weather, food, atmosphere and people, is there any difficulty driving? I drove in Naples and almost had a heart attack! Driving on the Amalfi Coast in January was fabulous, but I would not like to repeat the Naples experience.

Other places that we have thought of as possibilities are Spain, Greek Islands, Turkey, Australia, Hawaii and possibly the UK. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and have particularly enjoyed Scotland, Ireland, North Wales, Berlin, Prague & Budapest. I was in Greece many, many years ago and enjoyed that too. We also enjoy hiking and photography, so nice trails and great views and interesting people would be great. Anyone with good or bad experiences to offer sagely advice? Thanks for responding with ideas and tips.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM

We have no personal experience with this but I think that you find what you want. I think that Italy can probably accomodate you somewhere. Good thing you have plenty of time to time plan.

Some of rental car websites list drivers and vans/mini buses as well as rental cars. Ideally your group could take trains some days and a hired van somedays.

Here is one idea - http://www.olivedo.it/ita/Villa_Torr..._torretta.html
This is a property on Lake Como in the village of Varenna. The rental contact is the same people that manage the adjacent hotel. That would take care of your meals. It is 5 bedrooms. Varenna is close to train service. I have no idea of cost.

How many bedrooms do you need (4, 5 or what)?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM

While I haven't looked at he website above, I like the idea of Varenna. You would be in a town, and people could walk, take ferries, or trains, IF they felt like it.

Staying in the countryside with this many people sounds like a nightmare to me. Would it be difficult to get them all out the door and in the van together? I would think so.

If you went someplace like Varenna, you could easily hire a van and driver for the whole group. Or just take the train and avoid the entire van thing.

There are hikes everywhere on Lake Como, and the photography is incredible. I think Big Red has made a great suggestion.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM

You might also check out Lake Constance in Germany. Plenty of guest houses around the lake, playgrounds and parks for the little ones, easy biking, nice scenery and you're close to a number of sites in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM

You likes -Scotland-Ireland-North Wales-off the beaten tourist locations-hiking-great views and interesting people
ALL of this can be found anywhere from Galicia through to the Basque Country in northern Spain.
What do you think?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Sorry that should read your likes...it is late here!