6 week summer vacation - ideas?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:27 AM
curious

6 week summer vacation - ideas?

I am planning an extended 6 week summer vacation with my 13 year old daughter. I am thinking about Europe, Egypt, Pakistan & India. Does anyone have any feedback that would help in the planning process. For example, must see places, realistic costs on an economy/budget mode, etc.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Ira

I don't think that you can do all of Europe in six weeks, let alone Egypt, Pakistan and India.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Syrin

What a great experience for you and your daughter!<BR><BR>You didn't say what your budget level would be (ie campgrounds or 5-star hotels), so it's difficult to offer anything on that.<BR><BR>Packing up and moving every few days gets tiring. I would spend longer in fewer places-- a week in three different countries in Europe maybe, as opposed to catching a train to a new town every morning. Also, with the hordes in Europe in the summer, it's probably better to reserve ahead of time. You may not ever end up sleeping on the sidewalk if you don't, but spending a few hours a day arranging lodging is a hassle. <BR><BR>Lonely planet's thorn tree has a section called &quot;the long haul&quot; where you can find info about round-the-world plane tickets, packing and budgets for the very budget-minded. <BR><BR>have fun!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Howard

Following up Ira's comment, you'll probably get more helpful advice if you were more specific about exactly where in Europe you were planning to cover. While six weeks is indeed a good chunk of time (most of us envy you on that score), you don't want to overschedule, as the trip would then become a big blur towards the end. Further, India and Pakistan are big countries, while you could easily spend 2-3 alone in Egypt!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Christina

I thought you were considering only one of those areas for the trip, in which case I would simply advise the obvious -- check out the weather stats for Egypt and India in summer. I've been to Egypt in late September and it was up to 100 degrees in Luxor, although nice in Cairo, but I cannot imagine it in summer. So, I would suggest you knock off all but Europe.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Cat

Hi curious. Sounds like fun. <BR><BR>You might want to try digging around on this site for more information first. Then you could re-post more specific questions and get more specific answers.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:33 PM
CAGal

I apologize if I'm in error, but this post has the distinct flavor of a troll. We spent six weeks in Italy alone last year and didn't have nearly enough time to do it justice. <BR><BR>In case this is for real and since you asked for feedback that would help in the planning process, please reevaluate your itinerary! Choose Europe or ONE of the other countries you listed and then research, research, research to make the best use of your time.