Yet Another Egypt first timer - What to see??

May 16th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Amit

Yet Another Egypt first timer - What to see??

Hi, I am planning on going to Egypt in late Sept. on my way to India to visit family. I am planning on taking a few days stopover in Cairo. My question is - What else is there to see besides Cairo (Luxor, Alexandria?). If I just spend 2-3 days at Cairo and the Pyramids, will that be enough or will I really have missed out if I don't visit Luxor, Alexandria or the other places? How's the weather in late Sept.? Any other words of advice/Must see's, etc? Thanks!

May 16th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Amit

Also, I am a bit flexible with the days I can be there - what days are best (weekdays, weekends, etc.) and what are the best days to avoid (Fridays, etc) taking into account security, busy days, etc?? Thanks!

May 18th, 2002, 11:44 AM
ellen

Three full days would be enough in Cairo to hit the high spots, but probably leave you wanting more time. The pyramids are a must see, the citadel, the huge cemetery, Gayer-Anderson House, Mosque of Ibn Tulun are excellent.No one should miss the Cairo Museum!!!! Many visitors miss Coptic Cairo and I think this is a shame as it is as interesting as anything you will see on your trip. I would skip Alexandria, but try to get to Luxor and certainly Abu Simbel. The Mena House in Cairo is a great place to stay, but unless you have an expensive room facing the pyramids, you won't see them. Better to stay in the city proper as you are closer to all the other goodies. Cairo is so stuffed with stuff, you could easily spend a week. Weather in Sept is hottish--no rain. Be prepared for the WORST traffic and smog that you have EVER seen anywhere. Good Luck, Ellen

May 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Amit

Thanks a lot Ellen! Everyone seems to be telling me to go to Luxor and Aswan! So I'll probably plan a side trip there as well. The problem is that I only have 20 days to go to New Delhi and Egypt and the flights arrive at the oddest times in both the places so I'll have to figure out the quickest and easiest way to travel between Cairo and Luxor and Abu Simbel - Any advice anyone??!! Thanks for the advice on the traffic but I am going to New Delhi afterwards and I don't think any ciy comes close to traffic pollution than that city! Thanks a lot!

May 20th, 2002, 12:48 PM
ellen

Easy flight from Cairo to Luxor and if you are flying Egypt Air, this extension might be included in your international ticket. I should have added that the Sound and Light Show at Abu Simbel, which most don't get to see, will make your heart shiver. We stayed at the Seti II Lodge on Lake Nasser, a lovely tranquil place and within a 20" walk of the Abu Simbel. This walk, with every star shining overhead, is a great way to 'decompress' after the very impressive night show at Abu Simbel. Good Luck with your plans. So many places to go, so little time to see it all. Ellen

Jun 17th, 2002, 06:21 PM
hazel

Ellen gave you good advice. Don't miss Luxor and Abu Simbel if possible. Egypt air has several regular flights a day, one leaves early at 6 and about ever 30 miniutes, check the schedules on their web site. Was there last summer, flew from Cairo in AM to Luxor , spent day and returned by 6:30PM. Ideally, you could take a 2-3 day cruise from Luxor to Aswan then the hour flight to Abu Simbel for a couple of hours and back to Luxor, then fly to Cairo, did this two summers ago. Drink lots of water.

Search this Thread