Search

Is Alexandria, Egypt a dud?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Alexandria, Egypt a dud?

Our cruise, scheduled for June 1st, allows for two days in Egypt. With only one day in each port, listed below, our options are limited.

Port Said: (7am-8pm)
We planned to visit the Pyramids, Sphinx and the Egyptian Museum. Then we'd return to the ship for dinner. The following day we can disembark in Alexandria at 10:30am.

Alexandria: (10am - 8pm)
We planned to visit the Catacombs of Kom El Shouqafa, the Roman Amphitheatre, and the library.

The ages of the people in our small group are as follows: 84, 58, 45, 15, 18, and almost 17. My 84 year old mother-in-law is able to walk very well, however, she has her limits. With sunscreen, an umbrella and a very flexible guide to slow down when needed, she should be fine.

Please tell me Fodorites, would you advise us to skip Alexandria under these circumstances? I could arrive in Port Said, drive to Giza, visit the Pyramids and Spinx, maybe even the Sakara & Memphis. Enjoy a leisurely evening and dinner, spend the night at the Mena House. I've read that we can enjoy the light show from our hotel. The next day we can visit the Egyptian Museum and have our guide drive us to Alexandria to meet the ship no later than 6pm.

I hope there is someone that would not mind advising me regarding this matter.

Thanks,
Nannette

Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:22 AM

Considering the age range, I would suggest you to skip Alexandria and spend overnight in Cairo.
There are much more things to visit in Cairo, but I think that your group will be rather tired after just one day in Cairo + the driving.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Jolle- Thank you for your input. I did secure lodging in Giza. We are looking forward to our time in Giza and Cairo!
Thanks again,
Nannette
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM

Alexandria is certainly not a "dud!" It is a vibrant, lively city.

However, in your specific case, an overnight in Cairo would be preferable for several reasons including logistics and the higher number of great things to do in Cairo.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

Not to undermind Alexandria I would definitely do the over night at the Mena House and enjoy your day not having to rush back...way more for a first time tourist to Egypt to see in Cairo than Alex. Just do it and plan ahead as Mena House is very popular. Enjoy.