6 Irish Yanks - Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no better community than this one. I am traveling to Ireland with 5 of my 8 siblings. I have been charged with doing all the work (yes, you are correct, I'm the youngest). My thoughts so far:
Arrive Dublin 9/7.
Taxi to dublin and pick up rental the next day or rent car at airport?
Best. place to stay? So far I'm looking at four sisters, Drury or city center hotel (lawyer brother paying, so....)
August 8/9 - Carton House
August 9 - drive to Cobh/Kinsale from Kildare and stay in Killarney. Hike and stay in a virb0
August 10 - Head to Dingle and stay in Pax's House. Rent Electric bikes
August 11th - Head to cliffs of mohr and take a boat ride for the views. Then stay in Galway that night.
If you are still reading - Bless you.
Any restaurant recommendations are also greatly appreciated

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 04:53 PM

I haven't been to Ireland yet, but certainly hope to visit some day. I just want to point you in the direction of the trip report by AlessandraZoe about their recent trip to Liverpool and Ireland. It's titled something like "Searching for the Local: 3 days in Liverpool and 18 days in Ireland". If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend her very funny, very interesting and very helpful trip report.
Good Luck!
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am really confused -- please clarify your dates.

Are you arriving at DUB Aug 7? (it says 9/7)??

Then you mention staying at Carton House Aug 8 & 9 but are also staying in a Killarney vrbo on Aug 9??

But in any case -- that is a very (VERY) aggressive itinerary-- especially with a group of 6. Have you found a car large enough for 6 adults and assorted luggage? It may require renting two cars -- which makes the plan even more aggressive.

IF the dates are Aug 7 - 11 -- you are talking five consecutive one night stops. No time to stop and inhale . . .

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 06:41 PM

Suggest you not rent vehicle at airport, rather cab into Dublin where you will not need a car, then plan to pick up your vehicle (with 6 people, likely a minivan will be needed) after you have worked through jet lag and are in better shape to negotiate driving "on the wrong side of the road."
You can use google maps to suss out the drive time between your stopping points - some quick, some a few hours' drive. For the three hour drives, think about building in a lunch stop en route.
Will you arrive and depart Dublin? Picking up and returning the hired car in the same place is usually the least expensive option.

Alessandra Zoe's great trip report is here and lists their itinerary which might be a nice starting point for you to construct your own.

Last edited by Seamus; Aug 6th, 2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 07:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
AllessandraZoe's TR it epic (in a good way) -- but I honestly don't see how it would be at all useful/helpful resurce for this OP. No one night stops, no rental cars/self driving, and eighteen days instead of five.
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
taxi or bus to Dublin.

You need a "people carrier" for that many people

try and get every to just pack light for such a short trip and so many moves, just take carry on and the trip will be easier
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 12:28 AM

The date 9/7 would usually mean Sep 7th in American usage, but Jul 9th in Europe, because DD/MM/YYYY is the format used there. On international forums it’s best to spell it out to avoid confusion.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Gack! I don't know why I wrote August. It is all September. We have rented two cars
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Years back we went for a 4 day wedding celebration to a pub near Dublin and the main other guests were 6 Americans playing golf. They were only there for 4 days and the whole thing was a Kellogs family paid-for party. Each guy (and they were all guys) had so much stuff and they were staying in three places during the trip. The Lobby of the this place was solid when they tried to check out.

Trust me, less is more on holiday.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 10:02 AM

If you are of Irish descent do you not want to visit where you ancestors lived?
I think you are trying to do too much with too many one night stays, underestimating distances and time to travel, but it is your trip. You may want to stop along the way, roads are much (in many cases much much!) narrower than you are used to, and you are on the "wrong" side of the road.
I personally would not go up to Galway and the CLiffs of Moher but slow down and explore the south west corner more, but again it is your trip.
Is there a reason for staying in Kildare after Dublin and then having a really long day through Cobh Kinsale and up to Killarney? Are you planning on the headlands as well that day? Followed again a short day from Killarney to Dingle.
Unless you are fixed on Killarney maybe make the Cobh day shorter and stay somewhere like Baltimore or Glengarriff rather then Killarney.
Cliffs of Moher is at least 3.5 hours from Dingle, taking the ferry, more if you go around.
What time is your flight home? Consider whether Galway makes sense if you are flying home from Dublin and you have to get there and return cars.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving from kildare because we are golfing at Carton House. We do have family and have each visited them before. One of my brothers (who has a health issue but, is very strong physically) hadn't been to west Ireland and it was his request. Thanks for the Glengarriff/Baltimore, I'll check that out instead. We fly out of Shannon at 12:00
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 01:49 PM

I you do go up to the Cliffs of Mohr, why don't you stay in Doolin? It is the same driving distance to Shannon (as from Galway) but the area is so nice. A short drive from Doolin, on the coast you could visit part of The Burren area. I loved the Doolin area when I visited. Stayed at the Aran View Country House. View of the Aran Islands (with cows in the pastures across the road) from our room window. Walked down to the pubs in the evening for dinner and music.
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 07:04 AM

Driving from Kildare to Killarney via Cobh/Kinsale all in one day is barmy.
Personally I'd swerve Killarney and stay in Cobh for the night - maybe play a round of golf at Fota in the afternoon ( It has twice hosted the Irish Open) and then have a night out in Cobh.Early September is still busy with tourists and there's a good buzz in the town ( drinks at the Roaring Donkey and dinner in the Titanic Bar and Grill ).
Sunday morning will be a nice quiet drive down to Dingle.
Your choice but that's what I'd do.
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ollie, I'll look into that