Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Well well well, apparently Germans are the best tourists and the yanks second best (not good for we brits though)

Well well well, apparently Germans are the best tourists and the yanks second best (not good for we brits though)

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:23 AM
david west

This is a survey from expedia on who the best and worst tourists are.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/press/releases/Best%20Tourist.doc

The Germans came out best (although given their record of turning up in other people's countries perhaps this shouldn't be too much of a shock)

I'm afraid that my own dear countrymen came out worst, although looking at the destinations surveyed it's hardly a suprise as they do tend towards the pikey end of he holiday market.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Sue

Gee, funny survey. How can politeness be assessed independently of 'good behaviour' (He was rude but behaved well; she was polite but behaved badly??) And if I'm rude in the local language, does this count as the same, les,, or more important than making polite sign language? What if I spend 100 widgets and tip 20 widgets on the 'menu turistica' - does this rank the same, more, or less as spending a pittance on the 'local delicacy'?

But, perceptions are perceptions, I suppose, well founded or otherwise.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:55 AM
xxx

Interesting results.
I'm American and travel in October & November often. I usually do 2 weeks in 2 separate locations- maybe Negril, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, St. Barths etc...
Due to the timing there are often many large groups of German tourists.
I have found them to rude to the staff, extremely loud and often very drunk, and not very friendly to the other tourists at the hotel/resort. So much so that I've seen a family (or group of an extended family) clear out the pool area because they were seriously rough housing and generally so obnoxious that it was a bit difficult to tolerate.
When staff has met my boyfriend and myself they have expressed relief that we weren't German (we're often told we look German) after speaking to us.
Do I think this represent Germans? I don't really know. But I think it was an interesting poll result compared to my very limited experience.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Yo, Mann

Wow… unbelievable! Based on my long experience I would have rated the Japanese as the worst tourists in the world, hands down! The Brits the worst??? Say it ain't so, Joe!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Wayne

Not to be joking at all, but we get an awful lot of tourists here in Florida from France, Germany, and Great Britain, plus many other countries. From my point of view, after observing various tourists in every conceivable situation from the beach to the supermarket, I have to conclude that 95 percent of tourists from ALL countries are pretty decent folks. The problem with the other 5 percent is that if you run into one of them and he's from England, you tend to think the English are bad; same goes for Germans, French, or others. I have personally seen no distinct difference among tourists from all countries.

But to clarify my opinion, I would like to say that this does not apply to groups of tourists on controlled tours in which their time is limited. These folks, regardless of their origin, tend to be a little pushy and rude, which is almost understandable, given the stress imposed on them by some tour guide's timetable. But once away from tour groups, I have found most people of all nationalities to be nice, decent, courteous, and considerate. Personally, I would give no weight to the Expedia survey, and I would certainly say it is far from scientifically or statistically accurate.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Grammar

US Brits, not We Brits.

And here I thought you spoke the King's English...

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:18 AM
david west

"we Brits" is perfect British English.

I wouldn't write "us brits" as it could be read as US(a) brits.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
lbb

I work in the tourist industry in Florida. I have some of the same opinions as Wayne. It isn't the ninety five in one hundred well behaved tourist that you remember. It is those five awful ones!!!!!

Now I must say that my own experience with the Japenese is much different than that of Yo Mann. I have been working in the tourist industry for over 8 years and the Japenese that I have dealt with have always been well informed, well read, and exceedingly polite. They have always made a great effort to assimilate. I have never seen the stereotypical, T.V. sitcom version of the Japenese tourist taking pictures of the New York crime scene.

Really interesting poll. Is expedia visited more by Americans, Germans? Would be interesting to see the break down of the social-economic backgrounds of those that took the poll

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Ruth

Bizarre! A survey based on the perceptions of tourist offices, rather than on actual evidence, but thought-provoking to find that we Brits (ok maven?) are seen as SO bad by tourist offices worldwide. (minus 44 points, compared to minus 6 to plus 41 for everyone else!!) I saw elsewhere that each question scored +3 and +1 for the top two countries, and -1 and -3 for the lowest two - so Brits scored a LOT of -3s.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:04 AM
xxx

David West - Forgive me if I am wrong - I am no grammar expert-, but in the sentence "...not good for we Brits..." "we" is in the position of the object and therefore the proper word would be "us." If you took the "brits" out, you would be left with simply "not good for we" which is obviously grammatically incorrect.

Unless you made a typographical error and meant "wee Brits."

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Grammar

WE Brits is NOT "perfect" English. It isn't even GOOD English.

Would you say "not for we?"

Preposition - for
Object of preposition - us

Pfffff....

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
my $.02

Absolutely crazy results.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:54 AM
iron

Yo Mann, you ignorant.

Wayne, thank you for your thoughtful opinions. I agree.

ibb, thank you for your observation about the Japanese.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Yo, Mann

"Author: iron ([email protected])
Date: 07/19/2002, 12:54 pm

Now, there's some grammer...

Makes one long to ask, "Who ignorant?"

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Xman

Interesting how the usual Europhiles (Capo, Sjoerd or something, Sheila, etc.) are quiet.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
jorge

Yep that servay seemed fairly accurate. US/WE Americans are the some of the nicest, because thier are not that many of us travaling around. plus as an American it's better too keep a low profile in most contries..

I disagree with the japanees being the second best tippers/spenders.. they win hands down.. we travalers shake when we see a japanees tour bus comming it means (the prices are going up 100%)

I do agree with irealis being some of the worst. they always complaining and can never deside on anything...

the brits and irish are just loud and crazy I've partied with many on my travels..

Im surpised the Australian didn't rank well they are a pretty layed back travalling bunch .

its always fairly hard too spot the Germans they assimilate fairly well. damn thier corn ball jokes though.